This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

I have no doubt there are people who can do the thing they are good at much better than they can explain it. Hell I'm one of them. But man, the way Gruden talks about football on-air does not make me think he has the kind of bleeding-edge football mind you'd want to shell out that kind of dough for. I'm sure he can still be a decent enough coach, but is he the most valuable coaching asset in the history of the NFL in an era where the league is as competitive as it's ever been?

I guess if money is no object it's not like it hurts your cap. Might as well pay as much money as it takes to get your best candidate. But I wonder if in the end he's even a better candidate than someone who has been actively coaching the last few years.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:17 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Didn't this happen once before with a Cowboy's quarterback where his rookie or first year as a starter was super good, but then he started turning to crap and was basically not even a starter in 2-3 years?  I want to say it happened somewhere in the 70's/80's.  I'm probably wrong because I'm definitely not anything close to an NFL history buff, but I feel like I remember watching something about it.  Prescott just had 1 less touchdown and literally doubled his turnovers from last year.  Hopefully he sucks from now on. 

Danny White?

7 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Over/Under 2.5 years on the Raiders

Depends on the guarantee but if it's like CWood suggested (maybe I'm failing to read sarcasm?) and fully guaranteed I'd take the over. It's pretty gross to handcuff yourself to a coach for so long and it's not even like he's got an elite record or been constantly in the coaching mindset like many other top coaches in the league you could at least consider getting this kind of deal. But with a contract like this even if he's a bust they're gonna feel compelled to see him through a few years because of that investment. That's a big chunk of change even for a billionaire to cut bait after a year or two.

Edited by Acrid Josher

10 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

But I wonder if in the end he's even a better candidate than someone who has been actively coaching the last few years.

Football is first and foremost an entertainment enterprise; its also a sport. We are sports fans, so that's what we focus on. Not a big gruden fan myself, but for a team that's moving to a new town, building a new stadium, taking on massive debt and trying to re-launch itself.... Gruden makes sense on the business side. It makes less sense on the football side as you noted, but that's secondary from Mark Davis' point of view. He doesn't have deep pockets like the other owners and he's got PSLs to sell and debt to pay. He needed a marquee hire and he got one.

Look at the Bengals- they suck and they'll continue to suck with more Marvin.But they will also continue to make millions and millions just by being average in the NFL. Raiders can cover that  $100 million without much trouble, so long as the cash keeps rolling in.

Did they overpay ? Absolutely. Will it hurt them ? I don't think it will, but I've been wrong many times before

On 1/5/2018 at 12:42 PM, Acrid Josher said:

I have no doubt there are people who can do the thing they are good at much better than they can explain it. Hell I'm one of them. But man, the way Gruden talks about football on-air does not make me think he has the kind of bleeding-edge football mind you'd want to shell out that kind of dough for. I'm sure he can still be a decent enough coach, but is he the most valuable coaching asset in the history of the NFL in an era where the league is as competitive as it's ever been?

I guess if money is no object it's not like it hurts your cap. Might as well pay as much money as it takes to get your best candidate. But I wonder if in the end he's even a better candidate than someone who has been actively coaching the last few years.

Met Jon once. Great guy who has an amazing X and O mind. He comes across far more intelligent outside of tv when he speaks his message. Really love his motivational style too. 

Would be afraid due to him being out so long and the money tied to that deal though. Really good coach, but not elite. 

15 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Seeing stuff on Twittersphere saying it looks like Patricia will be Lions' HC.

Personally I'd be glad to see it. I'm not sure he knows how to swim without BB.

I'll be honest, I really, really hope this means Jim Bob Cooter goes elsewhere.  He's managed to tame Stafford.

15 hours ago, dcerb44 said:

Met Jon once. Great guy who has an amazing X and O mind. He comes across far more intelligent outside of tv when he speaks his message. Really love his motivational style too. 

Would be afraid due to him being out so long and the money tied to that deal though. Really good coach, but not elite. 

Not gonna run Gruden down - but living some 25mins away from Raymond James Stadium, I have a feel for how he ran things around here. He did in fact take Dungy's roster to that next level and he did in fact beat an OAK team he was recently the HC of and knew their offensive & defensive schemes and designs like no other. I'd doubt that any SB Coach has ever had as great a competitive advantage going in. The Tampa D (filled with good players no question.....) knew Gannon's play intentions like the back of their hands.

Maybe time has mellowed him - but he was a burnout waiting to happen - and it did in Tampa. Looking forward? Cant say how he'll address the workload. I've little doubt he can handle any of the so called "design changes" in the NFL past to present. Not a problem IMO.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:59 PM, packfanfb said:

Seeing stuff on Twittersphere saying it looks like Patricia will be Lions' HC.

Personally I'd be glad to see it. I'm not sure he knows how to swim without BB.

That and DCs more often than not don't pan out as HCs. Mike Zimmer is the rare exception to the rule. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:31 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm just sick to my stomach whenever I think about Brady being considered the best ever, especially after looking at that chart.  It took two teams choking for him to get two of them, and it took a decade of cheating for him to get three of them, and you never hear a damn thing about the Patriots consistently having a top 10 defense, and literally more often than not at that. 

Not only that but nobody ever seems to mention that whenever Brady is hurt, the Pats don't seem to miss a beat. Not saying that Brady isn't great, he is, but I think Brady needs the Pats more than they need him.

2 hours ago, Bignutz said:

Not only that but nobody ever seems to mention that whenever Brady is hurt, the Pats don't seem to miss a beat. Not saying that Brady isn't great, he is, but I think Brady needs the Pats more than they need him.

Someone mentioned it last night :)