Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I paid for the $200 streaming only package so I could download the app. Havent been able to get Guardians games since last year. It includes Cavs/Crew/Blue Jackets but after contacting support about it twice, they said the Guardians are 1 of 2 teams in the league who didnt renew their streaming broadcasting rights with them. I think the other was Minny.

Ive only watched maybe 3 Guardians games all year now. At what point does the league/ownership step in and fix this. I imagine having a large group of your 'fans' that supply revenue to your team being unable to watch the team play is bad for business 

I haven’t send more than 5 cavs or Indians /guardians games in a year for what feels like it’s nearing a decade

probably is 4-5 years if I had to guess.

I know I am in nowhere close to the minority on this either…and then they question the number of fans in the seats…

if we can’t watch them at all, we have less than zero attachment to the team…so if we can’t invest any time..why on earth would we invest $ by showing up

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I haven’t send more than 5 cavs or Indians /guardians games in a year for what feels like it’s nearing a decade

I know I am in nowhere close to the minority on this either…and then they question the number of fans in the seats…

if we can’t watch them at all, we have less than zero attachment to the team…so if we can’t invest any time..why on earth would we invest $ by showing up

Right, I cant believe ownership groups are not up in arms about broadcasting rights and this is going on what....3-4 years of this type of crap?

8 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I considered myself an absolute diehard Tribe fan through 2019 and since 2020 I’m in the exact same boat. I still follow them W/L and if they make the postseason I tune in and watch, but I can’t imagine losing diehard like me to a soft boycott due to organizational/ownership cheapness is a good thing.

Then again, the team valuation goes up every single year and clearly with revenue sharing they’re turning a profit. The whole thing is a joke. “But ownership takes all the risk” is such a joke.

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I considered myself an absolute diehard Tribe fan through 2019 and since 2020 I’m in the exact same boat. I still follow them W/L and if they make the postseason I tune in and watch, but I can’t imagine losing diehard like me to a soft boycott due to organizational/ownership cheapness is a good thing.

Then again, the team valuation goes up every single year and clearly with revenue sharing they’re turning a profit. The whole thing is a joke. “But ownership takes all the risk” is such a joke.

I followed the team for as long as I can remember (late 1960's....yeah, I'm that old), but the game has changed for the worse, IMHO.  So glad that I've fully embraced an alternative to MLB.  I miss the game I loved, but I don't miss what they've become.

1 hour ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I followed the team for as long as I can remember (late 1960's....yeah, I'm that old), but the game has changed for the worse, IMHO.  So glad that I've fully embraced an alternative to MLB.  I miss the game I loved, but I don't miss what they've become.

They need a salary cap and floor but it will never happen. There’s over a $250+ million discrepancy between the first and last teams’ payroll. It’s absurd.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They need a salary cap and floor but it will never happen. There’s over a $250+ million discrepancy between the first and last teams’ payroll. It’s absurd.

This is what did it for me.  

Growing up it was Indians baseball >>>>>> everything else.  I haven’t watched a full game in years tbh.  

I can accept incompetence to some degree as a reason for failure, I can’t accept simply not being able to afford/being unwilling to pay to compete.  The fact the organization is so well run but is still a cheap, penny pinching mess is far more infuriating than anything the Browns have done.

I have no interest watching David try to slay Goliath every season. 

When individuals made more than our whole roster I tapped out completely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is what did it for me.  

Growing up it was Indians baseball >>>>>> everything else.  I haven’t watched a full game in years tbh.  

I can accept incompetence to some degree as a reason for failure, I can’t accept simply not being able to afford/being unwilling to pay to compete.  The fact the organization is so well run but is still a cheap, penny pinching mess is far more infuriating than anything the Browns have done.

I have no interest watching David try to slay Goliath every season. 

When individuals made more than our whole roster I tapped out completely.

Jimmy Haslem is a lot of horrific things…but being cheap is not one of them. At least he takes big swings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Jimmy Haslem is a lot of horrific things…but being cheap is not one of them. At least he takes big swings.

Same with Lerner before him.  They may have had bad teams, but it wasn’t from lack of investment.

The guardians could actually be good if they chose to field a competitive team from a payroll perspective.

15 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Dolans sell to someone who moves the team or outright move the team at this point.

1) They already sold most of the minority ownership to the owner of the 76ers/Flyers. Majority could be next.

2) If new ownership moves the team, its because of revenue. Blame the fans, not the product. Cleveland has the 7th best record in all of baseball (2nd in AL behind NYY) for the past 10 years. Including 6 post-season runs and a WS appearance. They rank 25th in both revenue generated and fan attendance. 

3) Dramatic

HM: Cleveland calls itself a sport city with the best fans but its a sports city for the Browns and only when the Cavs are good. The Indians/Guardians since Ive been alive is the best sports franchise this city has and nobody in Cleveland cares lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

2) If new ownership moves the team, its because of revenue. Blame the fans, not the product. Cleveland has the 7th best record in all of baseball (2nd in AL behind NYY) for the past 10 years. Including 6 post-season runs and a WS appearance. They rank 25th in both revenue generated and fan

When you constantly refuse to sign players and trade them all, why support that? Back to back Cy Young winners facing off in the WS after being traded and why would fans buy tickets or jerseys that will be irrelevant in a year or two? Why get emotionally attached or invested when the owner trolls fans with comments like “Enjoy him” and such? That narrative you spun is really ignoring the obvious.

• Like 1