Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

some reports I have seen is the guy they got from Tampa can be a starter for us. That he has pretty good potential as a 1B/OF.

I would disagree with those reports. I'm a minor league Bball fanatic (long running dynasty league, got Kershaw/Acuna/Soto and others by being the first on them) and I don't think very highly of Bauers. He's the kind of guy who will stick around forever as a platoon bat and 4th OF but will never be more than a below average regular. He hasn't topped 15 HRs in a season in his minor league career and it's not like he's been trading power for average, he's topped out around a .270 avg as well. His best "skill" is his walk rate (had 350-370 OBPs in 2016/17) but that fell off hard in the majors last year (310 obp). I think he's just a guy. I'd rather have Yandy honestly. Though I guess that one was as much about the 5M to the Mariners as it was Bauers.

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Also said the trading of Edwin, freed up $6m that they will be able to play the market.

Free up 6M this year to pay 17M more next year. I am just very confused by the reasoning here unless they think Edwing was gonna fall off a cliff this year.

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Idk, I liked Edwin but this was a solid trade for the Indians. They got a solid switch hitter with Santana who will be DH/1B. Bauers who was the #5 prospect for the Rays. Also add in the money It was a decent trade for them. What makes or breaks this offseason depends on who they are able to sign or able to trade for with Kluber Bauer

Agree.

This is nothing but maintenance.

Please, Lord, let it be Kluber who is traded!

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

I would disagree with those reports. I'm a minor league Bball fanatic (long running dynasty league, got Kershaw/Acuna/Soto and others by being the first on them) and I don't think very highly of Bauers. He's the kind of guy who will stick around forever as a platoon bat and 4th OF but will never be more than a below average regular. He hasn't topped 15 HRs in a season in his minor league career and it's not like he's been trading power for average, he's topped out around a .270 avg as well. His best "skill" is his walk rate (had 350-370 OBPs in 2016/17) but that fell off hard in the majors last year (310 obp). I think he's just a guy. I'd rather have Yandy honestly. Though I guess that one was as much about the 5M to the Mariners as it was Bauers.

Free up 6M this year to pay 17M more next year. I am just very confused by the reasoning here unless they think Edwing was gonna fall off a cliff this year.

well they also will lose Kips contract. Santana prolly will add more to this team than Kip.  Just things I was reading, they are projecting for his power to improve. 

7 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well With Bauer, he makes it sound like he will be gone next year. I say you truly go after the best package

Bauer is just entering his prime, Kluber has passed his.

Sell high, buy low.

They still control Bauer for two years:https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/report-cleveland-indians-more-likely-to-trade-trevor-bauer-than-corey-kluber-carlos-carrasco/95-618030342 

15 hours ago, bruceb said:

Bauer is just entering his prime, Kluber has passed his.

Sell high, buy low.

They still control Bauer for two years:https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/report-cleveland-indians-more-likely-to-trade-trevor-bauer-than-corey-kluber-carlos-carrasco/95-618030342 

I think his arbitration number might be too high and that it wouldnt make sense for the Indians to not trade him when his value is as high as it is. Thats why I think he wont be here for the '20 season.  Sorry, when I keep saying next season, I mean the '20 season

I have no issues trading one or both just as long as the price is right. Heck they could put together one heck of an offensive around Lindor and JRam if they get the right trades. Give offense to back up Cookie, Clevenger, Bieber, that trio could be a nice rotation if they get the proper run support.

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Indians get worse and the Astros get better. Here comes that elusive 2019 World Series...

We aren’t even close to on the level of the Yankees, Red Sox, or Astros for this coming year. Even if we can take the American League Central. At this point, we might as well just tried to re-stock with blue-chip prospects. This small market revolving door is frustrating.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The Indians get worse and the Astros get better. Here comes that elusive 2019 World Series...

I just dont understand why we are half-*** trying. Either go for it or dont. We could have rebuilt end off last year and prepared for a 2020-2021 run and had a better chance than what we have been doing.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:02 PM, freakygeniuskid said:

I think you're extremely far off here. Bauers will be a big time player as a 4th or 5th option for us. He's a good athlete and will be average in the field. At the plate he suffered from a low BABIP last season and should easily see an increase. His statistical lines will end up like Carlos Santana's: .250/.350/.450. Lefty pull hitter at progressive field = he will clear 20 homers every season and some years over 30. 

Yandy Diaz needs a swing change to be more than JAG. Today's MLB has no place for hard grounders from a corner infield/outfield type. I'm sure we've worked and worked at fixing it and now its TBs problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FEARtheELF said:

I just dont understand why we are half-*** trying. Either go for it or dont. We could have rebuilt end off last year and prepared for a 2020-2021 run and had a better chance than what we have been doing.

I’m fairly pissed we’re wasting some of the best starting pitching I’ve ever seen in Cleveland. We’ve missed a window to strike that we might not get ever again. 

• Like 1