Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If they can show they passed over anyone they would have otherwise wanted, and could have gotten, because of McDaniels' promise, they can maintain the claim. That is a detriment. It doesn't matter if they keep the other guys. 

They could fight them out. But there isn't a court in the land that isn't going to believe that BB, Kraft, Brady and several others wouldn't have information that might be relevant to the case. 

Passed over anyone for what job? And how are they going to prove damages? That's far too speculative.

As for the depositions, I highly doubt a court would give them the leeway to depose every member of the Patriots. It would be a pointless exercise that would end up costing the Colts money. Regardless, Irsay won't do it because it'll be a bad look for the NFL and his team.

Just now, mse326 said:

Really? Is that actually written in the rule? When does it need to be noted?

Not sure, but there are several examples and was recently brought up again with the Ravens gm spot. Not sure if there's a required succession period though. 

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Really? Is that actually written in the rule? When does it need to be noted?

This is the most recent announcement from Fritz Pollard alliance regarding Baltimore

“Under Rooney Rule protocol, when a club has established a firm succession plan that involves an internal coach or executive replacing a departing head coach or general manager, no external search is required,” the Fritz Pollard Alliance statement read. “Examples of such circumstances include Jim Caldwell's succession of Tony Dungy as head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Jim Mora's succession of Mike Holmgren as head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Now that's crappy

while maybe not the best of moves, taking a job and then feeling like NE is the best  place for you is understandable. Having guys hired and then not calling them personally when you decide not to go through with the move is really a poor look.

• Like 1

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

while maybe not the best of moves, taking a job and then feeling like NE is the best  place for you is understandable. Having guys hired and then not calling them personally when you decide not to go through with the move is really a poor look.

Agreed. 

@wcblack34, I'm not saying you can't bring suit, but I am saying that you're not going to win. If the Colts were going to have to fire the McDaniels' assistants, there would be an argument. Based on their comments about them staying, any other injury would be too speculative. Yea, you could try to annoy the Patriots with discovery and make them spend money defending themselves, but you're also costing yourself money. At the end of the day, depositions would be a minor inconvenience at best, and the Colts would be the ones who come out of it looking bad. Right now, McDaniels and the Patriots are the bad guys. That's better for Indy.

Edited by jrry32

Did the Colts dirty, but I’m not really sure why so many feathers are being ruffled. From Colts fans I get, but not everyone else.

If we’re to assume Josh got a late, aggressive deal from Kraft and then took it, are we really going to call him a scumbag or POS because he did what’s best for him (or at least, what he perceives is the best for him)? Yeah, the Colts get screwed. They should be pissed. Not sure I’d venture down the “he’s garbage” route though. I’m not going to pretend like I wouldn’t do what’s best for me and my family. 

Even if we’re going as far as to say that Kraft did this to purposely screw over the Colts - was he or the Patriots supposed to do them a favor? There’s (probably?) bad blood between the two franchises after the deflating fiasco, so it’s sort of a no brainer that Kraft is going to stick it to Irsay. 

Shrug. All I can do is hope McDaniels learned since Denver. Major step down from Belichick, but pretty much any coach will be.

• Like 2