aSK anything: 5.0: Designated Steve-vivor

Heimdallr

31 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Sometimes when I'm bored I go through the FaceBook garage sales that get posted. People still try to sell those 300 pound TVs from the 90s. There is no way I would go into their house to lift that huge TV up so I can put in my house. 

I love the fact that I no longer have to use a dolly to move my TV.  I can now carry it with one hand.  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Sometimes when I'm bored I go through the FaceBook garage sales that get posted. People still try to sell those 300 pound TVs from the 90s. There is no way I would go into their house to lift that huge TV up so I can put in my house. 

we gave one away last year, when we bought the house and it was left here.....someone took it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TENINCH said:

That's crazy someone would still want one. Glad you were able to get rid of it.

the capacitors and CRT's inside those old tube TV's are worth something if you know what you are doing.

also can kill you pretty quickly if you don't know what you are doing....

My grandparents had this huge, impossibly heavy TV in their basement. Grandpa bought it as a retirement present for himself in the early 90s. According to him, it was one of the first big-screen models ever released. I have no idea what happened to it. I imagined it being immovable, like Stonehenge.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Nope, I did Ancestry a couple of years back.  It too was pretty interesting...I found a half sister that I knew I had, but have never met.  

Cool! Did you guys ever talk or try to meet?

I found out I have a lot of cousins who live close but had no idea they were related to me haha

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Cool! Did you guys ever talk or try to meet?

I found out I have a lot of cousins who live close but had no idea they were related to me haha

We talked a couple of times, but that was about it...our father is not the greatest human being in the world...or so I've been told by my family.    😉

Anyway...to put a smile on people's faces today.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 7:58 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Anyone else do 23&Me?

It's incredibly interesting!

My brother-in-law did one of those DNA tests a while back and ended up with a big surprise.  He was later contacted by a 50-year-old lady who claimed to be a daughter he never knew he had.  It ended up being true! 

Apparently, he got lucky one night when he was in the service and then got stationed somewhere else before the lady found out she was pregnant.  It was a pretty big surprise, because this was all before he even met and got married to my sister.  It's actually a shame too, because he's a good guy and she missed out on growing up with a great dad.  They have gotten together and met each other now, so at least it's kind of a happy ending.

Pretty crazy.  I've thought about pulling a practical joke on them by creating a fake account on Facebook and contacting him telling him he has yet another kid - this one AFTER he was married!  It's tempting to do, but I'm not sure if his heart could take it if it happened a second time.  xD

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 8:09 PM, y*so*blu said:

My grandparents had this huge, impossibly heavy TV in their basement. Grandpa bought it as a retirement present for himself in the early 90s. According to him, it was one of the first big-screen models ever released. I have no idea what happened to it. I imagined it being immovable, like Stonehenge.

One nice thing about the huge TV's was that they had wheels on the bottom of them, so if you were on a flat surface, they weren't too tough to move.  Getting them up or down a staircase was a bit of a chore, however.

Edited by Uncle Buck

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of any handymen, plumbers, roofers, home cleaners, or realtors they really like in the twin cities?

I'm getting ready to sell my house this spring/summer, and I think the hardest part is going to be finding people I trust. 

15 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Does anyone know of any handymen, plumbers, roofers, home cleaners, or realtors they really like in the twin cities?

I'm getting ready to sell my house this spring/summer, and I think the hardest part is going to be finding people I trust. 

as one of those guys who does/did that kind of stuff, I marketed myself through HomeAdvisor.com and did well. you might want to check out their site. there's no fee to you for the matching up of what you want, it's the contractors who are billed from HA.

• Like 1