2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

39 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Montgomery.  

Playing RB was cute and all but can we move him back to WR now?

Not even being a jerk. Where does the idea he was some great asset that needs to go back to wr come from. He hadn't done anything there.. He's done more at RB. I swear that the second we did this most people made their minds this can never work and have been arguing that ever since. I can't defend that he's been hurt but he got hurt playing receiver too. He changed his body up to play RB now it's like oh just undo that. Truth be told he was molded a little bit too much like a RB since college. You can argue he won't take as many hits at reserve wr but he's also rb3 that doesn't take a trillion snaps and can be versatile while staying there and still sliding into the slot without pushing him back to that position. Mike has seemed pretty damn adamant, right or wrong, he's staying at running back. I think we can let this wish go.

My take. Monty will be more impactful as a versatile running back than moving back to receiver but most people thought it was silly to convert a wr too RB so they can't allow themselves to ponder it that's actually true. No offense Intended

Couple things-

On potentially going after J Matthews-  meh, he was always essentially a tall slot receiver. We have cobb, Adams, and Montgomery who can do that. I guess it would just be a flyer

Montgomery- flex him around. He doesn’t need to play WR, he just needs touches however he can get them

Nothing about Matthews coming out of Vandy said slot receiver, 6'3, over 33" arms, huge hands, he went there because Maclin was their outside deep threat and Cooper can't play the slot. Then they drafted Agholor and plugged him into Maclin's old spot and he sucked, the should've had Matthews play outside and but Agholor in the slot.

Matthews played outside at Vanderbilt. I'd imagine he's playing outside if he signs here. 

3 hours ago, moose said:

Not sure if this is legit but Breeland sounds like he'd be a good fit.   Even though his foot is problem now it sounds like it will heal fine, any reason we can't sign him?

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/03/22/green-bay-packers-bashaud-breeland-target-free-agency/

I"m not following where where it says his foot problem is fine now? Am I missing something?

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Montgomery.  

Playing RB was cute and all but can we move him back to WR now?

Interesting thought to use Montgomery there.  Might be a thing.   While his hands are good for a RB, they seemed kinda poor to me as a WR.  And I think he'd be awfully slow for a WR at this point.  Not super shifty, either.  Might be fun, though.  

I guess I was partly thinking that if they were to add Matthews, it's not rare for Cobb to miss games or to miss snaps.  So there might be Cobb-and-Matthews sets; there could be play-Matthews-and-rest-Cobb snaps; and their could be Cobb-is-injured-play-Matthews sets.  If Matthews was good, there might also be considerable play-Matthews-and-Cobb-is-gone-as-FA sets in 2019, too.  

A problem in all of this is that we tend to assume Packer coaches and managements aren't very good thinkers.  It would be nice to have GM and coach that had proven their decision-making to be smart, creative, and trustworthy.  Perhaps they actually are?  But for the moment I don't think there's a very strong trust-level on this board!  :):):) 

Archived