2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

15 hours ago, Chili said:

The way I see it is this:

TT made the right choice drafting Randall. He identified talent and then drafted him. He was BPA and TT did his job. We also had a need at corner as we lost both Tramon Williams and Davon House. The fact that Randall was so versatile was just an added bonus. It filled a need at corner, added depth and allowed us to plan with our impending FA defensive backs such as Hayward and Hyde. I believe this was originally the plan.

In recent years hybrid players have been increasingly drafted in the 1st round such as Bucannon, Ramsey, Neal, Lee, Shaq Thompson, Shazier etc. With the nickle defence now becoming the new base defence in the NFL it should come as no surprise that we drafted another "safety" despite the fact that we already had HaHa and Burnett. As nickle defences often uses 3 safeties it make sense to draft Randall to be our 3rd safety but with the bonus ability to play outside corner when needed.

Capers wanted versatile players to be able to play the nickle defence and in that sense TT did his job drafting Randall. I think Capers mistake was treating Randall as a corner from the very get go when he should've been spending time learning with the safety group but that would've meant him not getting on the field as much early on in his career.

In 2015 we had a log jam. HaHa at Free safety, Burnett at hybrid S/LB, Hyde at hybrid S/Slot, Shields at corner leaving the other corner spot open for either Hayward or Randall. Looking at that group TT did a bloody fantastic job of creating that group of talented players but Capers just couldn't get the performances he wanted out of them. That defence was underperforming for years. That's Capers fault.

Randall performed well enough in his rookie season which led to us being comfortable letting Hayward go. the following year after that we were comfortable letting Hyde go because that was the plan all along. The fact that both players went on to thrive on other teams was just a combination of poor talent identification, the numbers game in certain positions and just plain old bad luck.

The bad luck was Shields injury. We didn't react adequetly enough to fix this problem. It also threw the wretch in the plan for Randall to eventually move to the position he was earmarked for. If we picked up an experienced cornerback off the street Randall would've played the rest of the 2016 season at S/Slot. That blame has to fall on TT.

Again TT compounded on his mistake by not using all avenues to bring in an experienced corner to pair him with newly drafted King. Bringing House back simply just wasn't good enough and the depth was proven to be incompetent after the Atlanta drubbing in the playoffs. TT simply didn't do enough. Sure enough injuries hit the position group again, Randall again was forced to play corner and our backups were again proven to be incompetent.

Then you have to consider the fact that Randall's attitude rubbed lots of people the wrong way, leaving the game at half time was bad, teammates going as far as asking for him to be cut, McCarthy not being a fan of the dude didn't help either. So part of the blame has to fall on Randall too not just TT, McCarthy and Capers. When you piss off the head coach...you're not gonna last long with that organisation.

So it was a cumulation of factors that lead to us trading Randall away. If Randall's attitude was better I bet he would still be with us now as our S/Slot Corner with 2nd year King on the outside and Tramon/Draft pick on the other. Maybe Pettine was willing to give Randall a clean slate but once you piss off the head coach you're not here for long.

At the moment Tramon has essentially replaced House. We still have a need at S/Slot, Brice probably will replace Burnett and use his hard hitting style of play at S/LB. We still need to replace some of our depth players as they have proven not to be good enough over the last couple of seasons. We still need to draft a starting corner opposite King. Still got a lot of work to do. I honestly think Revis could be an ideal filler for S/Slot- add some experience and stability as well as providing cover on the outside as needed. He would essentially be an older version of Randall for us. It would also take the pressure off us in having to draft someone to replace Randall.

The point of all this is that EVERYONE is to blame. The organisational shakeup in both the front office and coaching staff was probably what the doctor has ordered.

I guess I'll argue that the Defense didn't underachieve in 2015. That Defense was 11th in points per drive. That was a solid defense. Wasn't phenomenal, but it was alright. 

I'll also argue that TT not doing enough in 2016 isn't that simple. There aren't #1 CBs sitting on the street to replace Shields with. Randall was a better boundary  guy than anybody we were tracking down. We had decent enough depth to start the season, we just weren't ready for losing our 3 top CBs. If we had found a street Free Agent to come in, do any of us feel better about Gunter/Hyde/Street Free Agent? as opposed to Gunter/Hyde/Gimpy Randall. Shields/Randall/Hyde/Rollins/Gunter was adequate depth. It just got destroyed.

FS: HHCD/Evans

SS: Brice/Jones

CB1: King/Rollins (Achilies)/Brown

CB2: Tramon/Hawkins/Pipkins

Slot: Goodson/Waters

Not like these guys are all clean medical sheets you want to bank on their health. King spent most of last year nursing a shoulder injury. Tramon has a long history of shoulder injuries. Goodson blew out his knee two years ago and barely got on the field last year. Rollins probably never plays competitive NFL ball again. 

Even with a 1st and a 4th round CB, this team's depth is far worse than  it was in 2016.

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Nothing big is going to happen for the Packers today.  No trades, no signings.  Nothing.  Nothing at all. 

The Packers won't win the next 5 Super Bowls.  No chance.  Zero.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess I'll argue that the Defense didn't underachieve in 2015. That Defense was 11th in points per drive. That was a solid defense. Wasn't phenomenal, but it was alright. 

I'll also argue that TT not doing enough in 2016 isn't that simple. There aren't #1 CBs sitting on the street to replace Shields with. Randall was a better boundary  guy than anybody we were tracking down. We had decent enough depth to start the season, we just weren't ready for losing our 3 top CBs. If we had found a street Free Agent to come in, do any of us feel better about Gunter/Hyde/Street Free Agent? as opposed to Gunter/Hyde/Gimpy Randall. Shields/Randall/Hyde/Rollins/Gunter was adequate depth. It just got destroyed.

FS: HHCD/Evans

SS: Brice/Jones

CB1: King/Rollins (Achilies)/Brown

CB2: Tramon/Hawkins/Pipkins

Slot: Goodson/Waters

Not like these guys are all clean medical sheets you want to bank on their health. King spent most of last year nursing a shoulder injury. Tramon has a long history of shoulder injuries. Goodson blew out his knee two years ago and barely got on the field last year. Rollins probably never plays competitive NFL ball again. 

Even with a 1st and a 4th round CB, this team's depth is far worse than  it was in 2016.

You see Goodson as a slot? 

I thought he was kind of that "pure man skills" mold that @palmy50 would talk about.  Honestly I'm more optimistic about Goodson impacting the team next year than I am about Rollins, Pipkins, Hawkins, Brown, or Waters.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I thought he was kind of that "pure man skills" mold that @palmy50 would talk about.  Honestly I'm more optimistic about Goodson impacting the team next year than I am about Rollins, Pipkins, Hawkins, Brown, or Waters.

Wasn't Goodson like 27 when we drafted him?  He's gotta be in his 30s by now.

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

McCarthy indicated Rollins was right on schedule where they want to be with his rehab. I'm becoming cautiously optimistic about his return, but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

McCarthy indicated Rollins was right on schedule where they want to be with his rehab. I'm becoming cautiously optimistic about his return, but we'll see. 

I’m done with Rollins. The guy has shown absolutely nothing. Coming off a major injury for a CB , there’s 0 expectations for him.

I believe I called him the most worthless player I’ve ever seen during the season 

38 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I’m done with Rollins. The guy has shown absolutely nothing. Coming off a major injury for a CB , there’s 0 expectations for him.

I believe I called him the most worthless player I’ve ever seen during the season 

yep.  he managed to play poorly and then get hurt

Archived