2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

58 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Vontae Davis signed a one year deal with Buffalo. I would have done that in a heartbeat

I said this somewhere last night, isn't the fact he had to sign a 1 year deal,  with Buffalo, a little telling about what the league thinks about him currently? It all seems so obvious, how do you not take a stab, but nobody will even give him more than a year. And it's not like I would imagine BUF was his prime destination if he could choose.

8 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I said this somewhere last night, isn't the fact he had to sign a 1 year deal,  with Buffalo, a little telling about what the league thinks about him currently? It all seems so obvious, how do you not take a stab, but nobody will even give him more than a year. And it's not like I would imagine BUF was his prime destination if he could choose.

Yea - let's see what else comes out on this but IMO that type of signing is perfect for our situation

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Two reasons:

1. Amerson was on one of the worst secondaries in the league.  Defensive coordinator got fired mid-season.  Remember how bad we were in pass defense last year?  The Raiders were worse.  They gave up more yards, and their entire secondary had a single interception all year.  ONE INTERCEPTION.  Like I said about Clinton-Dix, if your whole secondary sucks, you're gonna suck. 

2. Davis was hurt.  Read what he said about how the Colts treated him.  He didn't play the first three games due to a groin injury, and he said his groin injury was still effecting him when he came back, which caused the Colts to put him on IR.  I'm pretty sure it was you yourself who pointed out that a groin injury is going to significantly impact a cornerback's level of play. 

Neither of those players suck.  Both of those players had injury years on crap teams.  Both are capable of having good years, and both of them could have helped our team.

When we end up not signing a free agent corner, I'll be here to tell you I told you so.  If we do sign anybody not named House to play corner for us, I'll feel better.  I doubt it happens. 

Can't we say the same with our players and shaking up the defensive staff - starting with our new d coordinator? Can't we expect players to rise up and just maybe play better under a new staff? It isn't a stretch to expect to see some type of improvement. Will it be a big improvement - that's yet to be seen but why be so low on it?

Far too often last few years we've seen miscommunication and fingers were pointed at younger players playing in complex Capers scheme and making mistakes. 

Sometimes patience is the most difficult thing to achieve, and I am glad the Packers have thus far sat back and watched. We have plenty of CAP space to make moves - lets just hope they are smart ones. 

34 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Sure, but I like him.  He's 1 injured season away from being a No. 1 corner, and 2 seasons away from being a borderline all-pro.  And the injury was to his abs, not his knee or legs or something worrisome.

He signed for $5M, so it wasn't super cheap.  There was clearly much stronger interest in him because he's a much better player than Amerson.  Amerson was just a bad player on a bad team who is a guy who is younger so he gets a job.

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

didn't read the thread, but do you guys think GB will re-sign Morgan Burnett?

There was recent article in the Wisconsin State Journal that had a quote from Burnett that he had not received an offer from GB.  

If that is indeed true, then it seems unlikely that he is in the plans for GB in 2018.

We’ve had discussions with his representative,” Murphy said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “I have a lot of confidence in Brian and Russ and Aaron as well. We want to create a win-win.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/27/packers-working-on-deal-for-aaron-rodgers-that-likely-surpasses-garoppolos/

It better be a win-win.  Otherwise we ain't winning no damn Super Bowls. 

22 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

OK, so if we don't sign any CB's we will have filled other holes in FA and thus can focus on CB early in the draft (in that case we probably bring back House.) Lots of great CB options in rounds 1-2.

King, House, Randall, early DP, Rollins is just fine by me.

We're not going into a season with the CB group we have now. If that's the case the "Fire Gute" chants can start immediately because that's just awful GM work in a passing league. The guy isn't stupid, it's going to be addressed.

Yep. Just because he’s not high on spending cash on bad/old free agenda doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a guy or who he’s going to target in a few weeks.

Kinda bummed we didn't go after Amerson. He's got length and ball skills. Davis is an older player coming off a bad, nagging injury. I think we should sign Burnett to a nice 3 year deal. Too much of a swiss army knife to let go IMHO.

Archived