Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

10 hours ago, minutemancl said:

This is false, but even if it were true, it would be tampering considering Odell is still under contract with the Giants. 

I really, REALLY hope you're right. OBJ is not worth that kind of money when taking into consideration what we would have to trade to get him. His injury history and on/off the field issues scare me and I really like where we're at right now. If he pans out, would probably get us a Superbowl. If he blows up the team, we're looking at a big setback. I think we have a good shot at a Superbowl as is so I'd rather not take that risk.

Draft the best EDGE available at #23, sign a vet WR like Maclin, and freakin extend Aaron Donald already.

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

As much as I want ODB in LA, I'm calling BS on this for the simple fact that this is not how the Rams do business. When Snead/McVay want to pursue someone, it is kept under wraps very tightly and no one knows about it until it happens. Snead was working on Watkins at the combine in March and the deal got done in August, no one had a clue til then. Same for Peters. So the more info that "leaks" on ODB to the Rams, the less likely I think it will happen.

Didn't it leak that we were after Peters? I thought Talib leaked as well?

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

As much as I want ODB in LA, I'm calling BS on this for the simple fact that this is not how the Rams do business. When Snead/McVay want to pursue someone, it is kept under wraps very tightly and no one knows about it until it happens. Snead was working on Watkins at the combine in March and the deal got done in August, no one had a clue til then. Same for Peters. So the more info that "leaks" on ODB to the Rams, the less likely I think it will happen.

The media market covering the Bills is just a little less bloodhoundish than for the Giants.

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

More then likely it's the Giants leaking this.

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

More then likely it's the Giants leaking this.

I would think its more ODB's agent leaking these numbers so the Giants think there is there is a market at 20$ a year and 100mil+ overall for his client. Giants may be leaking pick compensation, but doubtful they leak contract info.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Didn't it leak that we were after Peters? I thought Talib leaked as well?

"After" is a bit different than discussing contract numbers.  You have to have permission from the team the player is currently under contract with to discuss any kind of extension or contract numbers with said player.  (I don't think I need to qualify this for you and you were probably referring to something else, but I'm just covering bases here.)

That tweet about the Rams offering OBJ money is suspect in too many ways.  And if there weren't any actual discussion of numbers and the agent is making it sound like the Rams tampered when they didn't, just so that he can try to create more leverage for his client in contract discussions with his current team, that's the sort of thing the league ought to hold an agent accountable for, since it would be publicizing that something illegal (and routinely punishable under League Rules) took place that didn't.

38 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Honest question, and this just doesn’t apply to Odell, do distractions exist in football or sports for that matter? When they say so and so player is a distraction, does it even exist?

They can, but IMHO they're not as bad, within a locker room, as the media and fans want to make them out to be - i.e. if you have a good, constructive locker room culture, player's that are diva's or whatever are really easy to just brush off your shoulder.  If a player or group of players start eroding your locker room culture then there's clear reason for concern, but that's on the coaching staff and generally speaks to the culture of the organization as a whole.  More often than not, we see people using the "he's a distraction" as a way of saving face for not wanting to say "I don't like what he's doing/have different beliefs than him and want to shun (for lack of a better word) him, but can't."  Or in the case of some (tends to be the more old school variety) coaches saying it, it's akin to "I don't understand this guy or he doesn't just deferentially comply on command, and I'm certainly not going to shoulder any of the fault for that," (i.e. the old dog has no interest in learning new tricks).

I mean, go all the way back to Randy Moss.  He became the poster child for "The Patriot Way," because Belichick was smart enough to realize that a winning culture and a strong locker room can overcome just about anything.

47 minutes ago, The LBC said:

They can, but IMHO they're not as bad, within a locker room, as the media and fans want to make them out to be - i.e. if you have a good, constructive locker room culture, player's that are diva's or whatever are really easy to just brush off your shoulder.  If a player or group of players start eroding your locker room culture then there's clear reason for concern, but that's on the coaching staff and generally speaks to the culture of the organization as a whole.  More often than not, we see people using the "he's a distraction" as a way of saving face for not wanting to say "I don't like what he's doing/have different beliefs than him and want to shun (for lack of a better word) him, but can't."  Or in the case of some (tends to be the more old school variety) coaches saying it, it's akin to "I don't understand this guy or he doesn't just deferentially comply on command, and I'm certainly not going to shoulder any of the fault for that," (i.e. the old dog has no interest in learning new tricks).

I mean, go all the way back to Randy Moss.  He became the poster child for "The Patriot Way," because Belichick was smart enough to realize that a winning culture and a strong locker room can overcome just about anything.

I agree. The Patriots brought in Moss, Revis (who wanted to get paid ala like Suh), Blount (remember the incident in college and with the Steelers with Bell). So even the Patriots took chances with guys that had issues and nobody questioned them. The Rams already built the culture last season. I would even say that since Snead got there in 2012 they been building the culture in terms of the locker room. Now with McVay they are building a culture of success. I dont buy guys like Peters, Talib, Suh, or possibly OBJ is going to destroy it. If its that easy to destroy then the Rams never had a strong leadership or culture to begin with. If anything these guys are buying into the Rams culture. Just like Moss, Blount, Revis all bought into the Patriots culture. Thats just my opinion.

I wouldn't be worried about Odell when it comes to the locker room and team chemistry. By all reports, his teammates and coaches like him and he is a hard worker. His outburst on the sideline are a concern, but it isn't like a TO thing where he undermining his teammates behind the scenes. 

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

what input do you seek from the Super Bowl champs?

There's talk of the Rams possibly getting a player.  By now, shouldn't there be a bunch of Eagles fans talking about why it's a bad move, why it won't matter, and making it all about them?

6 hours ago, DaveDX said:

There's talk of the Rams possibly getting a player.  By now, shouldn't there be a bunch of Eagles fans talking about why it's a bad move, why it won't matter, and making it all about them?

Lol we don't give a damn what the Rams do honestly... we got a ring and still flying high.

Plus OBJ kills us every time we play the Giants, I hope he goes.

Archived