Peyton Manning to the broadcast booth...?

vike daddy

25 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wait, he's the owner? Say what???

So I hear, amigo. Questionable integrity for him to keep plugging it on the airwaves.

Anthony Cris Collinsworth (born January 27, 1959) is a former professional American football player who was a wide receiver in the National Football League(NFL) for eight seasons, all with the Cincinnati Bengals, during the 1980s. He played college football for the University of Florida, and was recognized as an All-American. He is currently a television sportscaster for NBC, Showtime, and the NFL Network and winner of 15 Sports Emmy Awards.[1] He is also the owner of Pro Football Focus, a sports statistic monitoring service.

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Let ESPN get him. I barely have time to watch those crappy Monday Night games. No to NBC though. Collinsworth and Michaels are still the best duo right now. 

Michaels on his game is great, but he sounded like he was going through the motions during the super bowl. Like half asleep. I think the sooner they get Tirico in there the better.

And Collinsworth used to be ok, but he never really improved and got worse in some ways. Could do better for what is considered the premier product typically.

I'd rather not have Peyton Manning get one of the primetime slots.  That would mean that his schedule would be set at the beginning of the year and he wouldn't get the best games of the season from week to week.  It would also mean he wouldn't do playoff games if he went to ESPN.

Tony Romo made me enjoy football commentary for the first time in my life.  I think Peyton Manning would do just as well.  Buck and Aikman and Albert and half the others are just so intolerably boring.  The closest I can describe it is that it's the audio equivalent of watching golf. 

17 hours ago, bzane said:

@Danger- Yeah, I like it, too- it's just that Collinsworth, as the owner, has shown dubious ethics in promoting it on national TV when, ostensibly, he's acting as a professional journalist.

Hes not a professional journalist.  Hes a color commentator.  His opinion is somewhat required for the job.  You might as well call Rush Limbaugh or Rachel Maddow professional journalists.  None of them are.

Former quarterbacks and coaches are always the favorites to land the job, but I say, if Manning doesn’t want it, offer Ryan Clark the Monday Night position because he’s very knowledgeable of the game; the only downside is that he wouldn’t be able to host any Denver games at home.

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I always figured he'd go into acting after football if he didn't get a job related to the game.

He's perfect for commentary, might take him a week or two to get acclimated but he's funny, he's the greatest on field football mind arguably ever, and he's not Gruden or Aikman.

He’s doesn’t have actor looks and he has the same monotone expression in all his commercials. He’s a good one more character, but Hollywood won’t knock down his door. He’d be very limited at this age in what roles he’d get. 

He could be a good commentator, but I think players honestly are one trick pony’s in the booth now. Romo brings insight now, but it’ll be played out in a couple years. Fouts and Aikman are nothing special in the booth anymore. I think people just like the idea of a player they are used to. 

Archived