Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

Yeah this off the field incident should play absolutely no role in whether we keep Corey Coleman or not. There are far worse people in the NFL that have done an continue to do far worse things than have bad friends or watching friends brutal beat a guy who lets face it was probably being a drunken A-hole himself and is in no way an innocent by standard here.

The only reason to move on from Corey Coleman would be his on field failures. At this point he is young and cheap. I see no reason to move on. He is at best a 3rd or 4th WR in the NFL which is a huge let down for his draft status but again we have no one better. We actually have a bunch of turds behind him. I think Coleman best value would be as the 4th and 5th option in the passing game as a vertical threat. When teams focus on Gordon, Njoku, Landry and Duke and forget about Coleman then you hit them over the top. Same role as Devery Henderson and then Robert Meachum played for New Orleans when they were contenders year in and year out. 

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Oh...I read the article alright...

Answer me this---Which Scenario is Truer or more accurate?

Scenario1. Corey Coleman, his brother, and his friend are wild and crazy returning from a fun night of partying. Corey's feeling on top of the world and is walking around with his chest poked out because he feels better than other people because he's a big time football player. On the way into his apartment there's a nice, calm, but clearly drunk guy standing in front of the door. Corey yells out "get the F-out the way N***a..." The nice young man is startled and apologizes but says "Hey...I'm white...I don't like to be called that word..." In anger, Corey's brother bark's back "I don't give a F**k what you like." A confrontation and verbal altercation ensues. Sapp the victim is worried and flees to safety in the garage. Unrelenting, the guys come after him in a predatory manner. Corey and brother say "F-that we gettin this mutha f***er...Corey tells his "boys" that "F-him up"...they ask where is he...he points in the direction of the guy and says "take care of it" or "finish him off and make him pay." His brother and his friend then go carry out his orders.

OR

Scenario2. Coming back from a party a drunken guy pushes past Corey Coleman and his group of friends discourteously. They asked "what the hell man."....the drunken guy belligerently responds "F-you...suck my d**k...what are you idiots gonna do about it...meet me outside p****" Bothered and upset the guys get into it, but Corey knowing he's a popular figure in town and knowing that everyone around his building knows who he is...tells his brother and his friend to let it go and that "we're back at our building...F-that dude...let's go up stairs call some girls up and keep the night goin...". Corey's brother asks is that guy still ...Corey points...yeah...that idiots cussing over there, but F-that let's get on these females...this one girl Rachel is going to come up stairs with her friend Lisa and their some freaks....so F-that. Corey's brother in anger "F-that...opens the door to the garage" yells toward the other guy "Yo, you want a piece of me...stop running your mouth.." His brother's friend follows.  A confrontation ensues. Corey thinks "sh** I aint got nothin to do with it, yall are going to get me caught up, and goes to the lobby to wait for whatever happens" (he actually was in the lobby when the fight occured). The guys come back and Corey asks what happened already knowing the truth that his brother just kicked the idiots a**.

-----------------------

The point is the story that is most believable has more to do with our own personal beliefs about athletes in violent encounters, stereotypes, personal experience in post-party fights, our negative beliefs about Corey Coleman, and a wide variety of other factors rather than based on the facts and evidence...as we weren't there.

The fact that you believe you can construct what happened that night based on that sampling of the phone conversation means that you're relying on pre-existing beliefs on athlete and violent confrontations as well as what we often see on TV and film to create a complete picture. In that full phone interview, it was made clear that the jurors deemed the pointing and stairwell footage not to substantiate the story of that night, but merely to serve as a post-hoc way to tie the events together.

----------------------

Take Caleb Brantley for example...supposedly hitting a woman in the face and the backlash the Browns got for taking him.

There were countless negative articles written about Brantley stringing together bits and pieces of information from the alleged victim that all made sense based on the stereotypes and information we've all heard and/or in a small sample size observed about male athletes.

Turns out...those stories had no idea what they were talking about.

Point is...be careful calling people prick-murderers...when you don't know. Remember...people are innocent until proven guilty...Corey is not some other Black athlete that we've heard about.

We don't know...and it's best to act accordingly....but what we do know based on the jurors decisions and the questionable nature of the alleged victims testimony is that things aren't as clear as you are making them out to be.

Point taken, we don't know what happened.

His brother was settin up the guy to be killed though.

that is not nothing. 

22 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Looks like Pryor will sign with the Jets. I’m interested to see what kind of deal he gets. Seems both sides between he and the Browns were never close on his market value.

I think he was overvalued by a lot of Browns' fans.

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Or just didn't see him as all that good regardless.

If you had eyes his final year in Cleveland, he was really really good at times before his broken knuckle injury...

There was no overvaluing anything...he proved through his play that he could take over a game in the redzone and be a dynamic chess piece on offense a la the Dolphins game.

He was however not mature or seasoned enough in his WR skills to go to another team and become a WR1 and he struggled.

I would've loved to have him continue his development on the Browns, and am disappointed he won't continue to do so again.

He looked good in 2016 imo.

i would be surprised if eclipses 1000 rec yards in ny. He is not the same athlete he was when he came out of college. He doesn’t seem as fast. 

He will be an effective big bodied guy that can catch but doesn’t run great routes or get heaps of seperation. 

I caught a ton of flack for saying we should let Pryor walk last off-season. I always thought he was overrated. He was force-fed targets on a horrid team and was bound to cash in big. I was not on board to sign him to a fat contract. Turns out he signed a relatively reasonable one with Washington which upset me a little bit. But I always thought he was overrated. Now he's a year older and looked ineffective last season with a pretty darn good QB. I'm not going to lose sleep over missing out on Pryor. He would have been our #4 WR IMO.

2 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Cj Smith trade with Seattle for a 2020 7th rounder is off. Our offseason is ruined now. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Meh we'll see. While it looks like a terrible lopsided trade right now, Britton Colquitt will be getting way up there in age in 2020. I think it makes sense to target a punter with that 2020 7th rounder.

Here's my thought: While CJ Smith was a great player, we weren't going to win with him this year anyways. I'm just glad to see a Cleveland legend get moved to a team that has a shot to possibly win it all. Might as well give Smith what he wanted and get something back in return.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

giphy.gif

He's YOUNG and PFF graded him very highly last year.

Don't you dare get my hopes up MKC.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/03/browns-close-to-deal-with-cb-e-j-gaines

I hate it when another alert comes up on my phone of something I really want to happen repeating the same words from the same journalist I just don't trust....

Archived