Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You annoy me...................

I mean if the Steelers really take a third for him I'd be kinda fine, but I can't see that. 

It's weird, there's a top 5 receiver available who wants to be here and yet I really can't be happy with acquiring him though lol.

Edited by AustrianNiner

35 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

At the time of the trade, I was in High School and didn't really understand the intricacies of the NFL (outside of what I could do in Madden) like I do now. At the time, I was primarily mad that T.O. was going to my best friend's team, now, I look back and think what a stupid trade that was. I don't think the Niners had a ton of leverage in the situation because of T.O.'s mouth and personality, but still, that's a trash trade.

13 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Please, enlighten us.

Okay, so basically the reason we didn't have leverage was because he was going to win his dispute over being considered a FA or not. It was a total mess that was botched by all sides. But before our trade with Philly, Owens was going to be considered a FA and we would have lost him for nothing. But he BADLY wanted to go to a team like Philly and there ended up being a three team trade where everyone (BAL/SF/Philly) ended up getting something. Don't forget, the original trade with the Ravens netted us a 2nd rounder for TO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, so basically the reason we didn't have leverage was because he was going to win his dispute over being considered a FA or not. It was a total mess that was botched by all sides. But before our trade with Philly, Owens was going to be considered a FA and we would have lost him for nothing. But he BADLY wanted to go to a team like Philly and there ended up being a three team trade where everyone (BAL/SF/Philly) ended up getting something. Don't forget, the original trade with the Ravens netted us a 2nd rounder for TO. 

How was he going to be a FA? I guess that's the part I never got because he still had a couple of years left on his deal with us?

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I remember bits and pieces of all of that, but thanks for the big picture. 

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

How was he going to be a FA? I guess that's the part I never got because he still had a couple of years left on his deal with us?

Because it was set in his contact that he could have voided the last three years and become a UFA. The entire dispute was from the date the agent was supposed to exercise the clause. Supposedly the deadline was sometime in February I believe, but his agent said it was in March that led to the entire sh^t storm. The NFL originally told us he was still a Niner because he didn't file his paperwork in time and we traded him to the Ravens. Obviously Owens and his agent disputed that and they were going to win their case. Then the Ravens knew they were going to lose him for nothing so all parties agreed on a trade where they would at least get something. Made the best out of a terrible situation.

But it's COMPLETELY false to say we were only able to get a 5th rounder because Owens was such a loud mouth trouble maker. No, we actually received a 2nd rounder from the Ravens. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

I mean if the Steelers really take a third for him I'd be kinda fine, but I can't see that. 

It's weird, there's a top 5 receiver available who wants to be here and yet I really can't be happy with acquiring him though lol.

He's a bit of a tool, no doubt. But we need that type of talent on the team, that's for sure. I just feel like we are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more behind the likes of the Rams / Chiefs of the world than others, I guess. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because it was set in his contact that he could have voided the last three years and become a UFA. The entire dispute was from the date the agent was supposed to exercise the clause. Supposedly the deadline was sometime in February I believe, but his agent said it was in March that led to the entire sh^t storm. The NFL originally told us he was still a Niner because he didn't file his paperwork in time and we traded him to the Ravens. Obviously Owens and his agent disputed that and they were going to win their case. Then the Ravens knew they were going to lose him for nothing so all parties agreed on a trade where they would at least get something. Made the best out of a terrible situation.

But it's COMPLETELY false to say we were only able to get a 5th rounder because Owens was such a loud mouth trouble maker. No, we actually received a 2nd rounder from the Ravens. 

Wow that's crazy...

29 minutes ago, N4L said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1/24/18196478/49ers-coaching-staff-medical-trainer-strength-coach-new-role 

This makes a lot of sense. I like the reasoning behind this move. 

I'm sure @J-ALL-DAY is happy

Time will tell, but good start for sure. A change was necessary.

Looks we have signed our new QBs coach:

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Really not sure how I feel about poaching former Dolphin coaches 

That was my first thought as well, but more in jest than anything else. Good coaches end up on bad teams all the time. Jim Tomsula spent how many years on our team before we had any kind of success? It was definitely not on him. Ironically, perhaps, Shane Day was on our staff during these same years. Who knows how good of a coach he really is. And as @J-ALL-DAY said, Kyle is really the QB coach. I imagine he's there for every QB meetings and he stands behind the QB on every rep in practice. Day is there to share the load of responsibilities, and if we're to lose either or both McDaniels and Lafleur next offseason, he should perhaps get involved in the game planning aspect of things. But no matter what happens, it's Kyle's offense, and he's the one coach we can't afford to lose.

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

Garcon reportedly not going to be a 49er next year. Not a surprise. 

Supposedly it is not true....I mean the reports he won't be 49er next year. Like he won't, but ESPN or someone else took a quote from Shanahan that wasn't accurate. 

• Like 1