Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing is I don't think they necessarily want to take Allen@2 if they indeed like him more than they're letting on. I mean if he's their guy and they don't have a trade they feel is worth dropping down for, I'm sure they just draft him #2 overall. But I think they would much rather trade down to like 5 or 6 and draft him.

I'm just spit-balling here but Allen truly is the best fit in terms of team need and how he would be used in this scheme. Even over Bosa. I just don't think he's the talent that Bosa is. Definitely not as a pass-rusher. But it's not about what I think tho. I just think us not sending anyone to his Pro Day was bad tell that they probably like him more than they're letting on. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when comes in for his pre-draft workout...

Maybe. Guess we'll see. Just feels off that Lynch talks about wanting "power"

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nick-bosas-power-bend-fit-what-49ers-want-edge-rushers

when discussing the edge... yet agrees to pay Ford that much and drafts... Allen? 

Talk about a rope-a-dope response from him, dunno. :/ 

• Like 1

Interesting question with regards to Lawrence. Would I be unhappy?  I kind of think so.  I just feel it's a little unnecessary. He already has a college PED suspension, which is concerning, and I just don't know what value there is for us. He's definitely a one tech in our scheme, so he's not going to be on the field a whole ton, and honestly, I'd rather just re-sign Armstead and keep him in the fold moving forward, and continuing to give DJ a chance, as he did play pretty well last year. Plus, we have so many other needs. Our receiving corps is pretty barren right now, and can go south in a massive hurry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing is I don't think they necessarily want to take Allen@2 if they indeed like him more than they're letting on. I mean if he's their guy and they don't have a trade they feel is worth dropping down for, I'm sure they just draft him #2 overall. But I think they would much rather trade down to like 5 or 6 and draft him.

I'm just spit-balling here but Allen truly is the best fit in terms of team need and how he would be used in this scheme. Even over Bosa. I just don't think he's the talent that Bosa is. Definitely not as a pass-rusher. But it's not about what I think tho. I just think us not sending anyone to his Pro Day was bad tell that they probably like him more than they're letting on. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when comes in for his pre-draft workout...

This is my thinking as well.

Lets make it clear though, Allen didn't work out at his pro-day. There was no reason to show up if he wasn't working out, especially because he is supposed to come to Santa Clara in the next week or so. 

I do think/hope that they are targeting him as a guy to take if we move down a few spots, and that they don't want everyone to know that hes someone they are targeting. It would be amazing to flip with the raiders and get allen. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Lets make it clear though, Allen didn't work out at his pro-day. There was no reason to show up if he wasn't working out, especially because he is supposed to come to Santa Clara in the next week or so. 

I do think/hope that they are targeting him as a guy to take if we move down a few spots, and that they don't want everyone to know that hes someone they are targeting. It would be amazing to flip with the raiders and get allen. 

Well neither did Williams but we made it a point to not only send the GM but also some of the defensive staff to his pro day. And they all went out had dinner with him that night. Same with Bosa. And both of those guys are scheduled for private workouts with us as well. Someone is trying to make it look like Allen isn't as much of a priority as the other two...ijs

Edited by 757-NINER

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

I don't know...I'm thinking if a trade comes along that outweighs their like of Bosa that we go Sweat at some point. He may be more raw than the rest in the 1st round, but there may be more to work with than what Allen/Ferrell/Burns bring, IMO. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Well neither did Williams but we made it a point to not only send the GM but also some of the defensive staff to his pro day. And they all went out had dinner with him that night. Same with Bosa. And both of those guys are scheduled for private workouts with us as well...

There’s also 5+ draftable prospects at Ohio St & Bama. While Kentucky has a couple corners and a RB. 

I think if SF wants Allen they need to take him at 2. The Jets and Oakland could be equally interested.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Would anyone be unhappy with selecting Dexter Lawrence at #36?

I don't mind the value of him in pure relation to others in this draft.. but yeah.. I wouldn't initially like the decision. To me, and like Forge suggests, it would indicate that they don't think much or see much future for DJ Jones at the 1t. Also, Forge and J hit on the other points well. It's just a rich pick for selecting a 1t that won't be on the field much.. and there just has to be excellent value at WR, DB, or OL there as well.