The Coaches Want Rosen at 1?, & Other Serious Browns Draft Rumblings

Mind Character

For the BrownsReddit User:

It was brought to my attention that someone linked to this thread from the Browns Reddit, and that a user on this site (FootballsFuture Forums) by the name of Buno67 was commenting in the Reddit thread as if I'm a poster that just likes to make stuff up, "always making predictions by throwing sh** at a wall and bragging when some of it comes true." That's simply just not true at all, and while I love personally speculating about all things Browns like most of us that take the time to post on an online sports forum, there's a difference between my personal speculations and analyses (i.e., Goff will be better than Wentz, etc) which are often wrong AND the info that has been passed to me by a family member that has been in the professional football business for years.  I hate going online and reading some bullsh** about the Browns and given my personal anguish and misery with this godforsaken team, I don't care to add to that tidal wave of sports BS.  There have been only like 4-5 things mostly Senior Bowl nuggets and rumors from 2017 that I've posted on this forum (the old version of the website that is) that were conveyed to me by family. Of the remaining 3, 2 of them came true and 1 didn't. The 1 that come true didn't was that the Browns were supposedly seeking to trade up for Leonard Fournette.  The 2 that were correct were 1: That the Bears were trying to Trade up for Trubisky with the 49ers and the Browns; And 2. That Sashi Brown met with Rick Smith at a private Wine and Cigar lounge in Indy and that the Texans and Browns will likely do a trade for the 12th pick. Those things were posted well in advance of the draft and came true. Everythng else I post is as Browns schlub trying to make sense of the craziness that is the Browns.

I also responded to Buno Below this main post titled "Response to Buno."

---------------------------------------

***LONG POST ALERT***

I have some terrible news to inform everyone.

It looks like we really will be passing on Darnold....

THIS IS NOT SOME STUPID TROLL, or me doing the reverse psychology thing saying Baker's going first while secretly feeling giddy and knowing we're taking Darnold at 1 as a way to cope with the possibility the Browns might screw this up.

(Skip to The News below if u must)

As I've said before, my brother in law was a scout & personnel assistant exec for 11 years. I never ID'd his team when he was employed but he was canned in the mass firings when Mr. Reese and co. were fired from the Giants.

Although I'm often wrong about my own predictions, my b.o i. always cautioned me that what he'd tell me in terms of rumors has a chance of being misinformation put out by other teams to hide their true intentions. However, the vast majority of things he told me that I posted on this forum came true.

For example, for those people that actually paid attention to my posts on the old forum before last year's draft, you'd remember that based on what my b.o.i. heard at the combine I posted "the Bears will look to trade up for Trubisky with either the Browns at 1 or San Fran at 2." At the time, only 3 people responded to that post.

I also posted that "Sashi Brown was seen twice via my b.o.i.'s team spycraft department, 1st with Rick Smith of the Texans, and 2nd with Ryan Pace of the Bears at a private membership only room at a Wine & Cigar lounge in Indy" and... "Dont be surprised if we trade one of our picks to the Bears or Texans." That post received 2 responses and came true regarding the draft.

Teams have 10s and even 100s of thousands of dollar budget for their "spycraft" depts that includes things you wouldnt even believe all in order to propel the interests of their million dollar cash cows.

One of the more basic ways for teams to get inside info is to recruit disgruntled "soon to be fired" scouts and personnel staffers away from another team while they are still employed and possibly privy to strategic information. ALL teams try to do this. The best and smartest teams top execs leave scouts & even key personnel staffers in the dark on real rankings and strategy for fear of info leaking out. The elite top execs only inform the owner & a select few before the draft. Smart top execs run disinformation campaigns and put up false rankings in plain view of scouts and staffers so the disinfo will leak to teams giving them an advantage to operate under the veil of confusion.

The News: My b.o.i. told me this morning "the scuttlebut is that 6 Browns scouts & 1 personnel exec have been "respectably" flipped (i.e., they already agreed to move on to a team without breaching the trust of their former employee) due to being promised future jobs & due to being disgruntled"...However, 2 scouts and 1 personnel exec has been "unhonorably flipped" (i.e., informing on the teams draft beliefs while still employed to another team) with 1 person in particular "lacking any sort of ethics and is singing like canary so much that the team he's giving the info to is secretly laughing their a**es off b/c they know there's no way in hell they're hiring this guy after all this."

Apparently, there is already a major rift between the offensive coaches & the top personnel execs regarding the pick at 1 and ranking the QBs. It's likely irreconcilable.

In what was a shocker to me as a "Darnold no matter" what guy Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Hue Jackson, and Al Saunders (he's become a de facto QB scout) are united in the belief that Josh Rosen is their guy, clear cut by a wide margin. The combine interview only confirmed this and they are all in. They all agree that Sam Darnold is their number 2, but there are some disagreements between the coaches on who is 3rd as some say Baker Mayfield while others surprisingly say Lamar Jackson. All the coaches apparently have Josh Allen 5th which completely surprised me.

The only personnel execs that mostly agree with the coaches are Eliot Wolf & Andrew Berry with Wolf having Darnold as QB1 and AB having had Darnold at 1 precombine but put Rosen ahead at 1 after the interview as Darnold tanked the interview and had no presence on the white board (I'd say did Mariota or Eli have a presence? Did Favre do a great job with X&Os on the board? No... but I digress..)

The rest of the top personnel staff (John Dorsey, Scot McCloughan--yes he's a top staffer more on that in a bit, and Alonzo Highsmith) along with Paul DePodesta have Baker Mayfield as their clear cut leader by a wide margin. The personnel guys then have Josh Allen number 2! Followed by Sam Darnold at 3 and Josh Rosen at 4. Paul DePo supposedly has it Baker, Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, & Allen.

Complicating the matter is apparently Scot McCloughan has come in waving a big stick as a former GM like he's the de facto top personnel guy when John Dorsey isnt around. He pulls his "when i was GM" card out in every debate. He is not consulting with other teams as that was just a farce to buy him time to finish some past due work that he and his company owed some teams for purchasing their scouting services. He is a full time Browns employee. This has in particular caused friction with Eliot Wolf as he thought he'd have that "right hand man assistant GM" role and it seems that Scot will have a powerful permanent position after the draft unless something changes and problems can be worked out.

Right now, John Dorsey is supposedly selling Jimmy that Baker is the top prospect as identified by Analytics and Traditional Scouting methodology with Paul DePo in his corner. Dorsey and Scot were blown away by Baker's combine interview while coaches thought he was too defensive.

As a temporary compromise just to keep the peace while much draft work is still to be done, the coaches and personnel execs are now strongly discussing that they will take their number 1 player on the big board Bradley Chubb at #1 overall and their QB at 4. Which to me makes ABSOLUTELY NO FU**ING sense at all when we need a QB.....but again I digress...

Distraught on Skype I immediately asked my b.o.i. " if this was all a joke" and "how certain are you that this isnt just elegant disinformation on the Browns part"?

He told me it's absolutely not a joke and the same spycraft dept heads (some of the best in the business) that he trusted in NY all those years have the Giants new personnel staff convinced that it is real enough to the point where everyone on the Giants staff except for new GM Dave Gettleman and an assistant staffer are operating as if it's true and they'll have their pick of all the QBs at 2 or at worst Baker Mayfield will go 1.

I've jokingly been saying Baker would go 1 but secretly believed Hue and co AND Dorsey all loved Sam Darnold at 1. I never even considered the thought that Josh Rosen wouldve been the unanimous selection among the coaches.

My only hope now is that some compromise is struck and we go Chubb at 1 and Rosen makes it to 4 based on the personality thing, or Hue and the coaches win out and we take Rosen at 1 to guarantee we get our QB, or that meathead Dorsey is running the most sophisticated 4D chess misinformation game utilizing scouts, coaches, and personnel people as pawns to fool the scouting community. I'll hold my breath on the latter.

Say goodbye to Darnold for real my friends. He's the hero we deserved...I'll never stop believing that based on the tape review. It just really sucks...

I'm now going to watch Rosen again and try to 1. convince myself I like him more than Darnold and 2. Somehow the coaches desires win out...wish me luck..

Oh...P.S. I hate-love (more hate than anything) this sh** team with all my heart.. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Response to Buno

Hahaha.... @buno67 you're the absolute freaking worst.

So, I was randomly checking out the Browns Reddit for free agency news and saw FF bretheren @buno67  destroying my name with untruths.

Here's a nice sample: @buno67 "I post on that site on a regular bases. Have since 2007. That Mind guy is not reliable Or creditable. He likes to throw out theories all the time. Once and awhile he hits on them but has missed a lot. He is like a broken clock. If you dig up his posts, you could find one where he talks about how he knows 100% certain that Mike McCarthy was going to be fired and be hired as the Browns new HC."

Come on man...lol...it's cool to not like what I say or believe what I say, but why do you have to misrepresent what I said about McCarthy.

I never said McCarthy was 100% to the Browns, and I never said I had any inside sources on GB or McCarthy, but speculated WAY BEFORE rumors about Eliot Wolf that "there is a power struggle in GB and some GB reporters are not sure if McCarthy will win out."

At that time nbcsports front page had this story headline "IF RUSS BALL IS IN, MCCARTHY MAY BE OUT."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/05/if-russ-ball-is-in-mike-mccarthy-may-be-out/

And the leading Green Bay Sports Insider Journalists, Bob Mcginn reported that Russ Ball was the frontrunner for the job.

In fact, numerous other sports journalists including NFL Network's Ian Rappaport and ESPN's Adam Shefter said that signs pointed to Russ Ball being promoted to GM by President Murphy.

Therefore, at that time, I came on this board and made a thread "GB Reunion in Cleveland: Mike McCarthy to the Browns?"

I prefaced that thread that IF Russ Ball was hired then we'd hire Eliot Wolf and Mike McCarthy.

Here was my post:

On 1/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, Kathouse Sticks said:

For the hourly Fire Hue faithful... things might be getting interesting.

We might be about to see the Packer boys get the gang back together again.

I mean F-Hueball/Huebris/Huemaggedon/Huepocalypse/Huey Ricardo Louis & the Bad News.... Am I right?!

-----------------------------------------

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/05/if-russ-ball-is-in-mike-mccarthy-may-be-out/

With Alonzo Highsmith and John Dorsey already on board and Elliot Wolff rumored to be next to join the Browns, the final piece of the puzzle seems to be lining up.

Reportedly, Mike McCarthy will be on the market very soon.

The Packers Board of Directors has basically every coach under McCarthy.

They fired:

Defensive Coordinator, Dom Capers

Offensive Coordinator, Edgar Bennett

QB Coach, Alex Van Pelt

DL Coach, Mike Trgovac

LB Coach, Scott McCurley

Now they looked to be set to possibly hire/promote personnel Execs that have bad relationships with McCarthy.

When news broke that Brian Gutekunst won the power struggle because "Aaron Rodgers didn't want Russ Ball to be GM (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/07/mccarthy-rodgers-get-their-wish-russ-ball-wont-be-g-m-in-g-b/

I came back to the thread and made it a thread about Eliot Wolf coming here smart guy...

My predictions like "Sam Darnold's going back to school" etc... weren't predictions from family in the business.

The idea that All I do is throw "sh**" at the wall "and if it sticks people don't hear the end of it" sounds like someone who's butthurt because your posts are relatively.

Just put me on your ignore list.

My personal speculations are often wrong....as are the things that may seem like my speculations ("Sam Darnold going back to school" all of which I cited national media sources for such things), but are really me just putting the negative expectation out there to prepare for the worst.

However, info that my b.i.l. has told me that I've past along on here especially as it pertains to the draft has been true, and I have the history of the old forum as evidence, as well as those that paid attention to those posts at the time.

Again, there is a difference in my personal speculations and those for which I cite nfler family sources (of which I don't do a lot)

I love the experience in the front office, but between Dorsey, McCloughan, Wolf, Highsmith, Hue and Haley, that’s a lot of cooks in the kitchen.

I want Darnold, but l like Baker and Rosen too.

As a side note, part of what rankled people about Dorsey in KC is how close to the vest he plays things.  Apparently when they took Peters only he, Reid and the owner were in the loop. I don’t doubt your BIL is telling the truth about what he heard, but I do wonder how legit it is. 

Lastly, and I mean this 100%, IDGAF who Hue Jackson wants.  Dude didn’t want Wentz or Watson and prolly won’t be here in 12 months.  My man can kick rocks and coach the talent he’s given. If he wants control of the roster he’s gonna have to give me more than 1 win in 2 years. 

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man you've been right alot Mind

but not everything has been right

this sounds pretty far fetched 

I still think Darnold goes number 1

Man....you don't think I want to believe we're still going Darnold at 1? You don't think I hope my b.o.i. was fed misinfo??

I'm wrong a lot....of course but 8/10 things my b.o.i. has been told that I posted on here came true.

How did what I posted well ahead of the draft last year about the Bears and Trubisky, as well as Rick Smith and Sashi orchestrating a trade btwn the Texans & Browns come true?

Was it magical pixie dust and coincidence.

Im still holding out a miniscule particle of hope that John Dorsey and co are just the GOAT of sports theatre, but that's not likely it like me you are going to have to let go of the dream that was Darnold.

Brownie...our hopes now lie in the coaches winning out and us getting Rosen.. 

Someone in the Rosen camp convince me why Rosen is better to make me feel better

I mean, I don't know where to begin. If they refuse to go QB at #1, then I'm going to flip out, let alone drafting Chubb, who I'm not high on to begin with, at a position of strength on an 0-16 roster.

If they pass on Darnold for Rosen, I'll be somewhat irritated, but will come around after a day or so since he's still a solid prospect, and ANYONE is better than Josh Allen at #1.

I feel violated if this is true.

I've said that there are WAY too many cooks in the kitchen for a month now, and if this happens, it will hold true.

I can see how Rosen would be the coaches choice. More systematic and WC fit. Darnold's improv is his strength. I'd love either. Darnold though... gets the job done even when his throwing isn't going well. If not them Barkley needs to be the choice cuz we need some offense. 

Tough to say. Darnold might get destroyed in CLE if we don't have stars at other positions. Rosen would probably spread it around better. 

Can Barkley play QB?

Archived