Damarious Randall traded to the Browns for DeShone Kizer

marky mark

I haven't read the prior 79 pages, but I really like that stages of grief diagram above.

I was so angry at the club.  We are weak at corner and we traded away (arguably) the best one we had.  I can name you 6 corners on the roster right now, and collectively, it is a terrible, God awful bunch.  From injuries to inexperience, it is flat out awful.  And...we are losing arguably our best safety and team leader.

Key word above is "was".  Second word.

Now I'm mad.  Very mad.  I'm mad that McCarthy said he has confidence in Hundley...either that was a lie, or the GM didn't feel the same and the GM won out.

I'm mad now now at the trading of Randall, because he probably should have been cut when he walked out on the team.  But I'm mad at the return, because for all of his issues, the kid played solid ball down the stretch and I can't recall him dropping the easy interception.  And..the ball seemed to find him.  Moving up in the fourth and fifth, while getting a turnover machine at quarterback is not good value.  I'd have preferred the pick.

This trade has me questioning why I follow the Packers.  It has my questioning why I watch them live when I can be out fishing.  I can tell you this...I won't watch as much "live" Packer football this year.  I'll spend more time in the boat.  The boat doesn't let me down like this.

So, yah, probably in depression right now.  Sure there is free agency, but our brain trust in the front office haven't made the simple decisions to gain us cap space.  Colvin is gonna command serious dollars, so even if we get him, it limits who else we can get.  And we now need 3 corners.  3 corners to compete.  I have zero faith in Goodsen, Waters, Hawkins, Pipkens and Rollins.

I'm mad because I thought the club was close...very close to getting to the championship again.  In my football loving family, there aren't a lot of these years left, selfishly I want my pops to be able to see another GB Super Bowl.  Moves like this one do not help that cause.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm mad because I thought the club was close...very close to getting to the championship again.  In my football loving family, there aren't a lot of these years left, selfishly I want my pops to be able to see another GB Super Bowl.  Moves like this one do not help that cause.

If this were August I'd agree with you.  I don't know if Randall was our best corner but I like what I see in King a hell of lot more.  FA starts today and the draft is around the corner.  Often when you change DCs there are some changes in player personnel too.  I'm not going to get mad because we lost one malcontent kid.  It isn't like we traded away a perennial All-Pro player.  I think Randall can be replaced and even upgraded.  Don't lose hope just yet.

The combination of losing Randall, and having to rely on King (injury), Waters (injury), Rollins (injury), Goodsen (injury), Hawkins and Pipkens has me wondering exactly what can be done.  Free agency is rarely the answer.  If I try to be optimistic, yah, free agency can get you a piece of the puzzle.  But the front office needs to make some moves to make free agency a viable option.  Then they gotta draft well, and they haven't drafted well of late.  In this league, you need 3 good corners.  We have one and he has an injury issue.  I'd argue with our history of injuries, we need to find 3 or 4 corners this offseason either via free agency or draft.  That is a tough thing to do.  Especially when you have issues at WR, OL and Edge to address.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

The combination of losing Randall, and having to rely on King (injury), Waters (injury), Rollins (injury), Goodsen (injury), Hawkins and Pipkens has me wondering exactly what can be done.  Free agency is rarely the answer.  If I try to be optimistic, yah, free agency can get you a piece of the puzzle.  But the front office needs to make some moves to make free agency a viable option.  Then they gotta draft well, and they haven't drafted well of late.  In this league, you need 3 good corners.  We have one and he has an injury issue.  I'd argue with our history of injuries, we need to find 3 or 4 corners this offseason either via free agency or draft.  That is a tough thing to do.  Especially when you have issues at WR, OL and Edge to address.

Would you give Randall his 5th year option guaranteeing his 2019 salary this May? Because that's the option the staff had to make by late spring. We either go all in - or make him a lame duck 4th year CB and eat crow if he has a good year going into FA. 

This was by far the best move we could have made with Randall. He had little trade value, and we moved up half a round twice and got a player who also has talent but little trade value. Kizer with 3 years on his deal is worth much more than Randall w/ 1 year even though Randall has shown more at the NFL level to this point. 

22 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If this were August I'd agree with you.  I don't know if Randall was our best corner but I like what I see in King a hell of lot more.  FA starts today and the draft is around the corner.  Often when you change DCs there are some changes in player personnel too.  I'm not going to get mad because we lost one malcontent kid.  It isn't like we traded away a perennial All-Pro player.  I think Randall can be replaced and even upgraded.  Don't lose hope just yet.

I've been saying this too much but it's not losing Randall that bugs me. I just didn't want 'that' in return. Just thought we could get something with a better chance of helping us soon. We could have used FA and the draft and had guys improve and gotten a guy I thought could help us soon. Maybe I'm being greedy but that's where I'm at with it.

Just now, incognito_man said:

I agree with you. If THIS inconsequential trade makes you suffer this severe of emotion you probably should step away for awhile and spend more time in the boat.

Boat has too many holes in it.  Did you even read about the boat? 

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

I've been saying this too much but it's not losing Randall that bugs me. I just didn't want 'that' in return. Just thought we could get something with a better chance of helping us soon. We could have used FA and the draft and had guys improve and gotten a guy I thought could help us soon. Maybe I'm being greedy but that's where I'm at with it.

I've tried explaining this literally ten billion times in this thread alone, but six months from now I'll have to be defending myself when people say, "YOU're thE Gy who had a paniC ATTaCK because we traded away Davarious Randal." 

4 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

Would you give Randall his 5th year option guaranteeing his 2019 salary this May? Because that's the option the staff had to make by late spring. We either go all in - or make him a lame duck 4th year CB and eat crow if he has a good year going into FA. 

This was by far the best move we could have made with Randall. He had little trade value, and we moved up half a round twice and got a player who also has talent but little trade value. Kizer with 3 years on his deal is worth much more than Randall w/ 1 year even though Randall has shown more at the NFL level to this point. 

Randall playing in a contract year (assuming GB would not pick up the 5th year option) could mean you get Randall's best play.  That is a pretty frequent process that players perform better in a contract year.  If he balls out, GB still could re-sign him in 2019 let him sign elsewhere and get a comp pick.  

25 minutes ago, Pugger said:

"It isn't like we traded away a perennial All-Pro player.  I think Randall can be replaced and even upgraded"

Exactly.

Plus we got (what I believe at least.....) will be better talent to back up AR.

And we're now drafting first in both the 4th and 5th rounds. Everybody keeps magnifying how many holes we've got to fit - well, in my mind at least drafting higher up is a good start towards doing that. Now - it comes down to eyes balls on the talent - and AGGRESSIVENESS to go get what we need.

One thing I didnt like about GB procedure was we had an overall tendency to sit pat in the draft. Meaning, towards the bottom of the sea - waiting to see what would make its way down that we could eat (metaphorically speaking of course.....) - and I questioned - with all the departures from the scouting and personnel departments to other teams, I wondered about the quality of our talent evaluations.

11 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Ya know how "soon" a twisted ankle or sprained knee can come? In the blink of an eye.

IMO TT didnt stock the backup QB slot well. We got caught short with Tolzien and Wallace (although I personally liked Tolzien's passing ability, he was put in a bad situation with no off season work on the playbook and failed) - plus - I dont think Hundley was getting grilled or run thru tasking procedures all that much. For a 3rd year guy, he looked awfully "unready' - IMO of course. Thats whats got to be different with Kizer. He cant get "Veteran" relax by the side of the pool treatment. He's gotta be *coached* so he's more ready than Hundley appeared.

Archived