The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I want the Vikings to win. I think Cousins is a good QB, and that he will likely lead them to the playoffs. My major point, which VD pointed out, is that this was a huge gamble, that only pays off with a trip to the SB. Until I see Cousins play in this system and with these players I have my doubts that he can get them there. If that makes me a pessimist so be it. Maybe it’s just the Vikings fan in me.

i will say that I appreciate the FO’s willingness to take the next step to get to the promised land. They are committed to winning, and saw this as the best path forward.

1. I understand what you're saying, but I simply cannot say this move only pays off with a trip to the Super Bowl.

2. I think it's worth the risk, even if it's a swing and a miss. This is different from 99% of the other moves this franchise has made at the QB position. Personally, I'm sick of going with the retreads or hoping a young guy develops. The last two big moves the team has made at QB show this is a franchise that believes it is close to winning a Super Bowl, and that QB is the missing piece. And they are showing they are willing to pay what it takes to help improve the team's chances. While the Bradford move didn't work as well as we'd like, I'd still do it again if I was in his shoes. Bradford wasn't the reason we didn't make it, unless you think it's his fault he got injured.

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

No worries. I might not be articulating my point well enough either.

i don’t think that they could have much better odds. My point with all of the back and forth in the last few pages is two fold.

1: I think that this signing will likely cost them one of the promising, young, cheap players that they have developed. Diggs, Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Thielen, Waynes, and Alexander can’t all stay on this roster when Cousins is making $28m a year. Losing one or two of the first 5 will be difficult to overcome.

2. A failure to make the Super Bowl after this signing means that this was a swing and a miss. This team was good enough to make the playoffs and win playoff games with lesser players at QB and more adverse conditions (no home field, worse offensive talent, massive injuries). Kirk Cousins has to be THE difference maker. Otherwise they could have spent money elsewhere to improve depth at other positions and prolong the “make the playoffs” window. 

Go Vikings! Go Kirk!

I disagree

the net positive impact of Cousins will far out weighs the lost of any one of those younger players. Waynes is also merely average & I've been advocating for a trade for him, so losing him is not a big hit.. his expected salary will not be worth his play

Case was expected to regress, do you can't even say we'll get the same QB level next year. With Cousins we're getting above average QB play consistently for 3 years. This is more important that any one position on the roster.

Sign Cousins was not a gamble, it was actually the safest bet the Vikings have made since Farve 1.0. Without Cousins on board, Vikings are likely spending $170M on a team who shouldn't do better then this past year, unless we got crazy lucky in the draft.

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

Does that mean that any team that pays for a franchise quarterback ie brees, Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson, Ryan, rivers etc. is a failure unless they get to a Super Bowl? No it doesn’t. I think a lot of Vikings fans have gotten used to not having “nice” things over the years at least at the quarterback position. The times they are a changing 

• Like 3

No one has to agree with me, I’m just giving my opinion about this signing. I think Kirk is about the 12th best QB in the league. I understand that the Vikings had to pay market value for a QB. I just don’t know that Kirk Cousins is a franchise QB that is good enough to get beyond what we saw last year. I hope that he is. 

Now that he is going to be a Viking, I expect them to get back to the NFCCG. As an upgrade he should be expected to outperform Keenum last year with virtually the same supporting cast plus Cook. I understand that there are other factors and other teams get better, etc. but the Vikings are now in the top 6 teams in terms of SB odds. They need to get the job done with Kirk. Maintaining Keenum’s level of play from last year isn’t enough for me as a fan.

• Like 2

Re: Losing free agents in 2019:

Consider this perspective:  there are FIVE PRIORITY free agents the Vikings need to sign over 2018-19.  They are: Diggs, Barr, Hunter, Hendricks, and QB1.  

The timing of the signings forces (re-)signing QB1 in 2018 into the spotlight because it precedes DE, LB, LB, WR timewise in 2019.

Now, which FA should you set as the highest priority to (re-)sign?  

I would set QB1 as top priority, as long as that QB is a top QB, regardless of what number (e.g. top 5, top 10, top 12, etc.) you wish to choose.

After QB1, I might put ONE of the LB as lowest priority #5.  The order of priorities # 2, 3, 4 matter little if you assume only one of the five FA can't be afforded & retained.

The timing of priority signings is a key reason for this schism-creating, perplexing problem... aside from, likely, a mis-allocation of salary cap space to QBs by Spielman for (too) many years.

10 hours ago, Duff Man said:

JDSensitive get fired today or something?  Wanna talk about it bud?

I'm not exactly sure how your sarcasm is serving your argument? 

10 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Telling people to shut up on a forum?

Isn't sharing thoughts and ideas the point of this?  Nothing wrong with a good debate my friend!  I don't let my feelings get hurt on the internet. 

Good debates are thoughtful, respectful and absent of sarcasm.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

Good debates are thoughtful, respectful and absence of sarcasm.

Agreed.   Unfortunately, sarcasm is self-perpetuating.  Sarcasm begets sarcasm, which often begets its second cousin; snark. 

Who 'snarky-ed' first?  ;)

Despite your best efforts to quell this schism wrought with sarcasm, it's gonna happen from time to time until the 2018 season starts and we all pull together for a team instead of a single player

From an article on The Athletic about the Cousins signing:

Kirk Cousins is only a day or two from officially becoming one of the biggest free agent signings in Vikings history.

Some of the groundwork for the union was laid not by the Vikings themselves during this “legal tampering” period over the previous two days, but by a visit he paid to Minnesota during Super Bowl week. Cousins visited the Mall of America and radio row, made appearances around the Twin Cities and also scouted out his potential new home, sources told The Athletic.

By the time he left town, he was convinced that if the money was right, the Vikings were at the top of his list. By the time this week started, allowing teams to reach out to agents to start courting free agents, Cousins was already firmly focused on getting a deal done with the Vikings.

Explains the widespread consensus over the past few weeks that Cousins to Minnesota was pretty much a sure thing, even though the rumors were that the Jets would make him a considerably higher offer. 

Barnwell likes the signing a lot: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22680603/2018-nfl-free-agency-grades-big-trades-signings-moves-offseason-bill-barnwell#Cousins

Gave the Vikings a B+ grade for the signing, one of his higher rated transactions of the FA period so far. Trading for Sloter also got a B+, while Keenum to Denver gets a B-, Bradford to AZ a C+, and McKinnon to SF an F (Barnwell hates paying RBs). 

Which is why I said there was only 2 potential destinations for Cousins, NYJ or Minny. I expected DEN to let Cousins be and go after #2 Keenum. And it played out that way. I was only half joking when I said he was looking at Minny house locations last week lol :)

Edited by CriminalMind