Jets trade up to 3

BJets512

42 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Did not say we/I were counting on Smith for anything.  Sky is falling Bobby was complaining about not have weapons and simply pointing out that there are some potential weapons.  More importantly my point is while we all know we don't have a loaded group of WR/TE, give Macc time to build the team.  Made, IMO, a great move to grab one of the top QBs in the draft class today.  LEt's enjoy that.

I agree

At this point, I'm almost hoping we draft Barkley or Nelson. To give up as much as we did, you have to nail this pick. Take the best player available. The bust factor with the QB we select is just off the charts. There will be constant comparisons to Mark Sanchez, the New York spotlight will be on, etc. 

I basically expect the guy we draft to bust. Darnold will turn into Sanchez here. Mayfield will turn into Manziel here. Allen will be Jeff George here. Rosen will be Matt Leinert here.

Typical Jets move to grab some headlines, but not get any better.

11 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Ok, this is a great move that sets me at ease.  I was worried we might be indifferent to the QB position for yet another year.  I have no real idea which QB we are into as we are all just guessing at this point, but apparently we started working on this trade 2 days ago which was after Bakers pro day... obviously that could be a total coincidence.  Macc also called the Browns for #1 and the Giants for #2 to inquire about a trade and I think to get a rough idea of who they were interested in.  They weren't interested in trading clearly.  Anyone mentioning Barkley is missing the mark here.  No one trades up this high in the first for a RB.  It just doesn't happen.

As far as the draft value I think we got an amazing value.  Generally a 2nd first is a must in most of these trades.  We got out of it for essentially 3 2nds but one is next year so value wise that is worth a 3rd.  Either way even if you take our 2nd round hits, Harris and Maye, I'd trade both of them and a first if it gets us a franchise QB, or even a good chance for a franchise QB.  I also think that trading ahead of time was great.  I think if we got stuck in the middle of a draft day bidding war the compensation would have ended up including a 1st.

For those of you talking about how we have no offensive talent, and no weapons for this new QB.  Well lets look around the league at where the top FA weapons went.  AR15 to chicago where they have a young promising QB.  Sammy to the Chiefs where they have a young promising QB.  Jordy to Oak where they have a young promising QB.  McKinnon to SF young promising QB,   It is easier to get guys to come to your team if there is something to get excited about.  That is the main reason we haven't gotten any real impact signings in forever.  We get a young promising QB it makes ever FA period easier to get what we want without having to massively overpay. 

100% agree!!!

3 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

At this point, I'm almost hoping we draft Barkley or Nelson. To give up as much as we did, you have to nail this pick. Take the best player available. The bust factor with the QB we select is just off the charts. There will be constant comparisons to Mark Sanchez, the New York spotlight will be on, etc. 

I basically expect the guy we draft to bust. Darnold will turn into Sanchez here. Mayfield will turn into Manziel here. Allen will be Jeff George here. Rosen will be Matt Leinert here.

Wow that is.... not a great idea.  Quite a few top 10 O linemen have busted lately.  Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were both supposed to be sure things and neither came close to living up to it, Erik Flowers too.  Drafting RB in the top 3 is a waste... especially when you trade up for it.  QB bust rate isn't really that much worse in the top 5 the busts are just way way more public.  

4 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Wow that is.... not a great idea.  Quite a few top 10 O linemen have busted lately.  Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were both supposed to be sure things and neither came close to living up to it, Erik Flowers too.  Drafting RB in the top 3 is a waste... especially when you trade up for it.  QB bust rate isn't really that much worse in the top 5 the busts are just way way more public.  

Were Cooper and/or Warmack being talked about as sure-fire HOFers? Because Nelson is.

Barkley is the best player in this draft, by most accounts. If not him, then it's Nelson.

Of coarse somthing could happen and teams are never gonna show you there cards ... but I’m sure similar deals were offered to giants and browns why not move up to 2 or 1 if it cost the same so them turning down deals shows there hands a little more .... doesn’t mean they won’t trade out still ... but def shows they have guys in mind or value higher then what we paid ... only coming up from 6 ..and Denver only team above 6 that can possiably trade up ... I’m pretty sure every situation was considered ... and there 4 players there comfortable taking there ... the question which 4 

I know it is extremely difficult to guesstimate who will be available in 3rd but why not.

1. Billy Price -  Will be ready by training camp.  Only tape will be judged on.

2. Josh Sweat -  He has 1st round measurements and numbers but he is incredible inconsistent.

3. Lorenzo Carter - He has a savvy body and athleticism that are part a NFL standout standard but he plays like a girl.

4. Hayden Hurst - He is flat out good but will be 25 years old by week 1.

2 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Were Cooper and/or Warmack being talked about as sure-fire HOFers? Because Nelson is.

Barkley is the best player in this draft, by most accounts. If not him, then it's Nelson.

Ok I love Nelson, and i think Barkley is good though over rated.  But lets say they are both amazing NFL players..... hurray now we have 1 good lineman.  Or we have a good RB, as the Vikings how that went for years with the best RB in the league.  The value of a RB early just isn't there.  He would instantly be one of the top paid RB's in the league and a top notch RB is only marginally more helpful to an offense than an average back.  

If you hit on a QB however the team is instantly much better.  And he is on a very cheap contract for a QB for 5 years.  But if you just wanna remain safe and mediocre than that is cool too.

54 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

LMAO.  Your funny.  When logic fails you let emotion take over.  Fact is Smith is and should be in the convo.  Did not say we are banking on him but he's still on the team, has pedigree and hopefully is healthy for us to evaluate.  Another potential weapon.

Your so upset that Macc does not make moves that match up wit your amateur GM standing that you fail to see what is actually accomplished and there can be another plan then the one you thing they should follow.  Be patient dude .. if after next years draft Macc has not upgraded the weapons I could understand your recent posts, until then how about looking at the half full glass for a change and accept that these guys (Macc and scouts) get paid a bunch to actually do what we write about ...

I can understand Bobby frustration with the Jets, all those second picks in current years that have been total busts, Smith, Amaro, Hack, taking Maye over Cook. And not one offensive player drafted in the last eight years. That is why we have such a problem now, and no big name FA wants to come here. Yes Maye is a good player but Cook was over to a terrific start in Minn. before he got hurt. There was nothing wrong with your post, you had some good points in it. 

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I know it is extremely difficult to guesstimate who will be available in 3rd but why not.

1. Billy Price -  Will be ready by training camp.  Only tape will be judged on.

2. Josh Sweat -  He has 1st round measurements and numbers but he is incredible inconsistent.

3. Lorenzo Carter - He has a savvy body and athleticism that are part a NFL standout standard but he plays like a girl.

4. Hayden Hurst - He is flat out good but will be 25 years old by week 1.

Man I think Sweat destroyed the combine to much to make it to the 3rd.  I'd be happy with all 4 though.

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I can understand Bobby frustration with the Jets, all those second picks in current years that have been total busts, Smith, Amaro, Hack, taking Maye over Cook. And not one offensive player drafted in the last eight years. That is why we have such a problem now, and no big name FA wants to come here. Yes Maye is a good player but Cook was over to a terrific start in Minn. before he got hurt. There was nothing wrong with your post, you had some good points in it. 

A lot easier to get big name FA's here with a young talented QB around.

16 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Jesus, you can really tell the Jets have hurt you over the years. This is a really negative way to look at it. This honestly doesn’t feel like a headline grabbing move. It feels like a move Macc knows he had to make to keep his job, and rightfully so. He knows his career hinges on this pick. I know he screwed up the Hack selection but he has shown tremendous growth this off-season, hopefully that will carry over to finding a QB as well. Almost all of the exciting young QBs taken high in the draft recently have been traded up for. 

Archived