Superbowl Or Bust For 2018

stl4life07

Which Team Has The Pressure Of Superbowl Or Bust The Most?   

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team Has The Pressure Of Superbowl Or Bust The Most?

• Los Angeles Rams
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • Other

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

When you consider what the teams have done in Free Agency it's the Rams and it isn't even close.  They have made significant trades and acquisitions to add talent to their roster.  The expectations for them is going to be through the Roof.

I agree that the Rams expectations are extremely high. I personally expect no less than an NFCCG appearance for the Rams this upcoming season. 

The only reason I don’t think it’s Superbowl or bust for them is because even after this season they still will have the 2nd most cap space in 2019 and the most cap space in 2020. They still have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and still have draft capital after this year. So the window is wide open and clearer for the Rams.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:21 AM, bucsfan333 said:

I'm picking the Steelers. Big Ben might retire after this year and Bell could be playing somewhere else in 2019.

You make plenty of sense. I would say though that now OC Haley is gone, Big Ben might stick around longer. Him and Haley didn’t get along and that could be part of the reason he talked about retirement. Bell should end up getting a long term deal done to stay with the Steelers. They a young defense with a high powered offense. I think the Steelers window is open as long as Big Ben is playing and I think he will be there for at least 3 more years.

On 4/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, stl4life07 said:

I agree that the Rams expectations are extremely high. I personally expect no less than an NFCCG appearance for the Rams this upcoming season. 

The only reason I don’t think it’s Superbowl or bust for them is because even after this season they still will have the 2nd most cap space in 2019 and the most cap space in 2020. They still have one of the youngest teams in the NFL and still have draft capital after this year. So the window is wide open and clearer for the Rams.

They certainly have the talent to win the Super Bowl, but it remains to be seen whether all the different moving parts will come together quickly enough to translate into their highest potential. 

No it's not necessarily Super Bowl or bust, but that whole notion of having the most cap space is a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick as the Rams need to resign a plethora of young players, which they are in position to do certainly, but how much is left after they're brought back everyone is very different.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

They certainly have the talent to win the Super Bowl, but it remains to be seen whether all the different moving parts will come together quickly enough to translate into their highest potential. 

No it's not necessarily Super Bowl or bust, but that whole notion of having the most cap space is a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick as the Rams need to resign a plethora of young players, which they are in position to do certainly, but how much is left after they're brought back everyone is very different.

I think those moving parts will work. Imo I think the Rams proved last season what they are capable of. Last season was the ultimate overhaul. New HC with a new coaching staff outside of the Special Teams coach. New systems on both defense and offense. New LT, C, TE, (4) WRs. Like everything was brand new yet the Rams still found success to the tune of 11-5, won the division, and had the best scoring offense.

This season only one new piece on offense, which is Cooks. Btw Goff and even Mannion (from days at Oregon State) has chemistry with Cooks. The rest of the offense is returning. They will feel more comfortable and so we know what to expect on that side of the ball.

On defense I can see the turnover which the team might need to gain chemistry. The reason why I think it will work is because of Wade Phillips. He came in year one and the first things he talked about was the Rams defense was good already they just needed to create more turnovers and do a better job with not giving up so many points. Well both categories the Rams excelled in under Wade in his first season. That’s with adding (2) new corners in Webster and Robey-Coleman, drafting a new starting safety in Johnson III, and bringing in Barwin which was the new starting EDGE. 

The only thing that’s different this season is more talent/bigger names on the roster and an even higher expectation. But my point is that last year was more of a turnover on the roster than this year and the Rams still had success. Wade will continue to stabilize the defense and only one player changed on offense which was Watkins to Cooks and Cooks has chemistry with the starting QB Goff AND the backup QB in Mannion. I think the perception of all these moves by the Rams are bigger than the reality of it. Once the football games are played we will see the reality but right now it’s great for discussions. 

Of the three options, I went with the Rams and Vikings just because they added some serious pieces to their team and it's clear those teams are going for broke.  The Vikings adding Kirk Cousins and Sheldon Richardson are two huge signings and then obviously everyone the Rams have added.  On paper, I think the Rams are the best team in the NFC - but obviously games aren't played on paper.

Saints should be Super Bowl bust. Honestly, Drew Brees doesn't get enough pressure put on him to get a 2nd SB ring like Rodgers does. 1 SB certainly shouldn't be enough for what should be a Top 5 All Time QB Career. Speaking of which Rodgers and the Packers have to get over the hump again, it's been too damn long.

• 1 month later...

Might have to say New Orleans after their two first round picks on Davenport move. I wouldn't have said them before such move, as they're only a few months removed from wanting the HC out through poor performance/neglect. However, nothing signals "we want it NOW" more than a mortgaging (of sorts) pick. They clearly considered him the missing piece. 

I was going to say Rams, as any time a team does this, it also signals "we're coming for this NOW".

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Might have to say New Orleans after their two first round picks on Davenport move. I wouldn't have said them before such move, as they're only a few months removed from wanting the HC out through poor performance/neglect. However, nothing signals "we want it NOW" more than a mortgaging (of sorts) pick. They clearly considered him the missing piece. 

I was going to say Rams, as any time a team does this, it also signals "we're coming for this NOW".

Fake news. That was just some story the media came up with.

Also, though I partly agree with your point about them viewing him as the missing piece, I think they just fell in love with him as a prospect. They have been wanting to add an elite pass rusher for years and I guess they thought this was their chance to get one (even if he may be a few years away from being elite).

Archived