Superbowl Or Bust For 2018

stl4life07

Which Team Has The Pressure Of Superbowl Or Bust The Most?   

102 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team Has The Pressure Of Superbowl Or Bust The Most?

• Los Angeles Rams
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Minnesota Vikings
    • Other

Rams I guess. Suh is on a 1 year, Talib's clock is ticking, the salary of Gurley and Peters will both jump to nearly $10M (or more if they are given an extension before the option is picked up), Donald will be costing ~$20M/year. Not really "bust" though since they can afford to pay and keep all these guys, rather they will not be in as nearly a good a position to build a SB team next year as they are right now.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Serious question:

When was the last time the "offseason darling" actually won the Super Bowl?

It usually is the team we least expect..................or the Patriots again

The Rams are offseason darlings is really because WE make them. Again it’s not like they bought their roster in FA. They got rid of Quinn and Tree who didn’t fit the 3-4 scheme well. They brought in Peters who KC didn’t want and he fits Wade scheme who is man to man, lockdown cornerback dependent. The Broncos shedded Talib contract because they were trying to upgrade their QB and had to pay up for either Cousins or Keenum. Talib REQUESTED either Belichick or Wade. The Rams offered more because again, Wade knows Talib and his scheme is man to man, lockdown cornerback dependent. The Dolphins cut Suh. Sure the Rams wanted Suh. That’s probably the most legitimate argument you can have about the Rams being the offseason darlings. Even then, Suh fits a need. The Rams couldn’t stop the run because they didn’t have a great run stopper at NT. Westbrooks wasn’t doing the job in the middle of the DL. So much so that they were sitting up visits with Vita Vea and Tim Settle as far as the draft prospects went. The feeling was mutual for Suh because he wanted to prove he is worth a big payday next offseason, he wanted to play for a contender, and he was intrigued with the idea of playing next to Donald because he didn’t want to be double teamed all the time anymore.

So again the Rams didn’t set out to WIN the offseason. They did the same thing last season on offense by hiring hot shot young offensive mind McVay, followed by Wade who contract ran out in Denver to coach the defense, then hired Olson and LeFleur to help with the development of Goff. They then got guys like Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, then Watkins. The only difference is everyone either rolled their eyes at those moves and didn’t think they would make a difference anytime soon OR nobody paid attention at all because the Rams were so bad for so long. Now the Rams has success they make similar moves but on defense they supposed to be offseason darlings because everyone is paying attention. This is business as usual and it started day one when Snead became the GM with the RG3 trade then the trade again in 2012 with the Cowboys to land Brockers. Then in 2013 to trade up to get Tavon then traded down with the other 1st round pick to get Olegtree. Then in 2014 took Gurley 10th overall which now we see Zeke, Fournette, McCafferey, and soon to be Barkley get taken top 10. Then in 2016 trade up to get Goff. So again this isn’t just this year the Rams are being aggressive. They were agressive the second Snead became the Rams GM. 

I think all the pressure will be on Minny. They got their franchise QB who could play even better than he did in Washington, considering he will now get to play in a dome and that certainly didn't hurt Peyton, Brees Ryan or Stafford!!!

Because of how much they are paying Cousins, they will likely only have a narrow window for success, as they will have a very hard time, finding the money to resign their FA's!!! 

I would say Minny, after they jettisoned their best performing QB in a decade or so. it seemed a bold and controversial decision

it's a little frowny that all these teams have to fight each other to come out on top of the same conference

15 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Insert any team who's starting QB is no longer on a rookie contract or not entering their fourth year. It's just the way the NFL is now.

That is true, but he is getting close to 31 million and that is why I chose them as under the most pressure.

I voted Saints because the Rams and Vikings seem like youngsr teams. Drew Brees signed a two year deal so you get the feeling of it isn't this year then in 2019 the Saints have even more pressure to win. Whereas the Rams and Vikings have younger quarterbacks and roster flexibility. That's not to say the Saints aren't young too, just their window is smaller because their quarterback and head coach are both much closer to retirement it would seem.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:51 PM, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes certainly will have a lot of pressure, though I'd argue less pressure than last year given that Minneapolis isn't hosting the super bowl. In terms of talent that could leave, it's inevitable when you draft and develop well.

Shariff Floyd is currently a free agent, he's never going to play again and hasn't played in a year and a half. 

The Vikes will have to choose wisely next offseason in terms of who to bring back. But the window isn't necessarily closing. Zimmer is a defensive guru and Spielman has done a great job finding talent for him. Much will depend on Cousins. How much can he elevate his play the next three years to help offset losses elsewhere? Look how much Keenum improved in one year throwing to Diggs and Thielrn behind this defense.

The Vikings have to prioritize re-signing Anthony Barr in my opinion.

3 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

All I gotta say is the Rams better hope they're the least injured team in the league for the 3rd year running.  They're very top heavy as of now.

not true bro

Didn't you hear? Theyre the deepest team in the league. Easily.

?

On 3/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, TXsteeler said:

The Saints aren't on the cusp of winning nor are they starved for superbowls seeing as how they've won in the past 10 years.

The Rams and Vikings have a pretty decently large window.

IMO, no team fits this quite as well as the Steelers, they should be one of the top 4 or 5 (top two in the AFC) teams going into next year but at the same time their window is closing fast. Bell will probably play his last year for us in 2018, Bryant will most likely leave after this year, and Ben has 3 more years max according to him, with Pouncey saying he will retire once Ben retires.

A few other teams are about to (possibly) lose their key QB with no backup waiting in the wings but none of them are as close to winning a SB as Pittsburgh unless they've won recently, aka NE.

I don't think the Saints are the answer to the poll, but depending on how you define "cusp of winning", I mean, they were a miracle play away from the NFCCG last year.  :The Steelers weren't any closer to the AFCCG.  The Steelers have won plenty of Superbowls, many more than the Saints, and two in this millennium.  Both Ben and Brees are close to retirement(Brees arguably closer, as I think it will be a miracle if he actually plays at a high level for two more years.)  Bell may leave after 2018, but Saints may lose some important pieces as well.

If Steelers are under pressure to win before they lose key players, Saints are as well.  Steelers probably do have the better chance though, if for no other reason than the AFC being the weaker conference.

Archived