Browns trade Cody Kessler to the Jaguars

49erurtaza

53 minutes ago, SoS said:

I’ll never understand what professional evaluators saw in Kessler’s tape to justify using anything higher than a 6th on him. 

He's still a quality NFL backup.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Hue Jackson told us to believe him on this guy. Hue Jackson went 1-15 his first season. Hue Jackson actually managed to do worse his second season. Hue Jackson still has a job.

And don’t forget he stumped for AJ McCarron for 2.1   Then got Sashi Brown fired for blocking that move.   Only to watch every team needing a QB pass on him until BUF took him as a backup.    

Hue & Jimmy Haslem.  SMH. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Hue Jackson told us to believe him on this guy. Hue Jackson went 1-15 his first season. Hue Jackson actually managed to do worse his second season. Hue Jackson still has a job.

Honestly, I’m still boggled that Hue was able to keep his job. 

shellshocked young kid who pretty much regressed like 9 million percent in year 2.  he was given first crack at the starting job in camp and then pretty much lost it to hogan, osweiler and then kizer.

i suspect he did well in season 1 mainly cause we were down so much and everyone was playing prevent.

he plays hard though.  just.. not... great.  or good even.

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I didnt get it either but for a conditional 7th rounder next year i guess why the hell not? ?

Assuming they make the playoffs at worst JAX gave up the right to choose from 12 players before teams get UDFA picks.    

Kessler is a meh backup but there are actually worse ones out there (they were wearing DEN jerseys last year lol).    Having him cheap for 2 yrs and getting him to join now to learn the system makes sense.  

I get CLE already decided with their rookie and now Drew Stanton.   So anything is a bonus.  This is as close to a plane ticket and a bucket of balls as it gets though lol. 

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

That's a good trade for the Jaguars. He's not very good, but he's a decent #2 QB in case of an emergency. Has some untapped potential.

It is a fine deal for some insurance and a cheap contract on a guy who has some NFL experience, but does he really have much "untapped potential" to speak of?  He's on a solid trajectory to cash a number of paycheques in the NFL as a long-time #2/3 clipboard holder, but has there really been anything in his college tape or Cleveland experience that suggests he's ever going to be anything more than a serviceable backup in an emergency, with a wet noodle for an arm?

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Kessler fits the mould of the next long term NFL backup QB.

This should probably kill of any chance of them taking a QB in the first few rounds.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  It's not like they're making a huge investment in Kessler with a conditional 7th a year from now.  xD  If there's a guy in the top few rounds with serious starting QB upside that they like at their pick, swapping a nothing pick for a low upside, career backup trajectory 2nd/3rd stringer like Kessler doesn't seem likely to stop them.

I think more than anything...it might make them slightly less likely to develop an itchy trigger finger and overdraft somebody in the mid/late rounds just to get a 2nd QB on the roster before camp.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It is a fine deal for some insurance and a cheap contract on a guy who has some NFL experience, but does he really have much "untapped potential" to speak of?  He's on a solid trajectory to cash a number of paycheques

Why do you do this?

Archived