Should the Vikings have kept Case?

aceinthehouse

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

It is an interesting theory, but IMO, Cousins should be even better playing in a dome full time, every franchise QB dreams about what it would be like to play half your games in a dome where weather has zero effect.

I am sure Minny gave a lot of thought to keeping Keenum, but in the end, came to the conclusion, that he simply wasn't a good enough QB to consistently take them to the playoffs and with Rodgers returning to full health, they knew they would be in for a very tough battle to stay competitive.

You do not get a second chance with these decisions, it was take the leap or forever put your faith in Keenum, a career backup till last season, vs a proven franchise QB, who might even play better now that he would play all his home games in a dome!

Cousins record in  a dome is probably misleading as almost all QB's who play in a dome are stars and probably only a few QB's have winning records against the Peytons', Brees, Lucks' , Romos' Ryans' and Staffords' of the league, when they play them in a dome!!!

I think if you want to play with the big boys on the block, you get a proven franchise QB or watch your return to mediocrity!!!

Cousins was playing on the road in those indoor games. It will be a lot different as the home team, Minnesota is not an easy place to play.

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

OL

TE

K and P? Lol

Minnesota is better everywhere else, no doubt.

I'll absolutely give them LT and TE, it was a bit of hyperbole on my part. Don't know enough about the teams respective kicking units.

Just now, Danger said:

I'll absolutely give them LT and TE, it was a bit of hyperbole on my part. Don't know enough about the teams respective kicking units.

Forbath is average at Kicker. Will likely get competition.

Quigley didn't have any touchbacks last year as punter, does a great job pinning teams back why helps the defense. His job is safe.

I think Case Keenum had the best year of his career in 2017, and he will not reproduce it.  Kirk Cousins has played as good as Keenum's career year in every season that he has been the starter.  That year put the Vikings in the NFCC.  This opens the window for the Vikings to compete at that level while all of their good, young players are cheap.  Is Cousins going to be league MVP? I doubt it.  Is Minnesota going to win the Super Bowl in the next few seasons? I hope not.  But this move is a very good move.

25 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yeah, I think our OL as a whole is definitely better.  We have a good kicker and an above average punter... not sure how good he is compared to the Vikings' punter.  Not that it really matters.

7 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yeah, I think our OL as a whole is definitely better.  We have a good kicker and an above average punter... not sure how good he is compared to the Vikings' punter.  Not that it really matters.

I would gladly trade offensive lines with Washington.  Last year, we were above average, but not great.  One of the underrated aspects of Case Keenum's play last year was his ability to duck under and get away from pressure.  Since Cousins isn't as good in that area, we would be wise to improve the line and protect our investment in him as much as possible in the draft.  

5 hours ago, Buddyboy said:

The NFC N is going to be No Excuses. The Bears are loading up on help for Mitch T. The Lions just jumped to the top of the draft. The Packers are gearing up. The Vikings are ready.

Prediction

Vikings take division, Packers take WC. One of these teams is SB bound.

Easter weekend was busy.

The NFC N should be the most competitive. The Vikings take the div with GB taking the WC.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would gladly trade offensive lines with Washington.  Last year, we were above average, but not great.  One of the underrated aspects of Case Keenum's play last year was his ability to duck under and get away from pressure.  Since Cousins isn't as good in that area, we would be wise to improve the line and protect our investment in him as much as possible in the draft.  

Yeah, he's not too bad when facing pressure from the edges, but like most pocket QBs, you absolutely must protect him from interior pressure.  He used to just toss out picks like candy when this happened in 2013 and 2014.  Now, he'll still toss out more picks than he should in those situations, but he also sprinkles in some pretty amazing completions in the face of pressure (just watch the Saints game last year), and has learned how to just take a sack and live another day. 

The main thing that should excite Vikings' fans about this signing is that Kirk probably isn't a finished product yet.  I think he can, and will, get better.  One of the main things he can improve on is situational football (red-zone, 2 minute, etc.).  If he dramatically improves here, the Vikings will probably be the best team in the NFL for the next few years.

7 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I think Case Keenum had the best year of his career in 2017, and he will not reproduce it.  Kirk Cousins has played as good as Keenum's career year in every season that he has been the starter.  That year put the Vikings in the NFCC.  This opens the window for the Vikings to compete at that level while all of their good, young players are cheap.  Is Cousins going to be league MVP? I doubt it.  Is Minnesota going to win the Super Bowl in the next few seasons? I hope not.  But this move is a very good move.

your honesty is appreciated, particularly as a rival fan looking at our chances.

As a Bears fan I was disappointed in the Cousins signing, so that obviously means I think they made the right choice.

At one point Josh McCown went from scrub to journeyman starter in the league, and that started really with the 2013 Chicago Bears. He came in and started 5 games for us and threw 13 TDs and 1 INT. People wanted to crown him as the Bears' franchise QB, but I said that was his storybook year and would be the odd one out. He has played 4 seasons since then, having two pretty good years and two poor ones. He wasn't going to replicate that run, and coming back to baseline is a painful one for him.

Keenum, I feel, will experience much of the same. Cousins though, while much more expensive, has put up a 4000+ yards and a 2/1 TD to INT ratio each of the last 3 seasons. Hard to say this was a bad move for MIN. QB has been the weak point of their offense pretty consistently, now they have a true franchise QB. Good move, and I'll be bi***ing about him twice this season I'm sure. He will be a stabilizing force in the offense when Flip gets his HC hire, and Zimmer gets to keep the defense on point.

Archived