Should the Vikings have kept Case?

aceinthehouse

5 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

That's the only part I disagree with.  Gruden is actually one of the best offensive minds in the league.

The one question that will determine how Kirk performs for the Vikings, IMO, is how much trust does he have in his OL?  When he was being protected by 3 guys who were top 5 or 10 at their respective positions (Trent, Scherff, Moses) he was on point and you could see the confidence he had in himself to make tough throws.  When one or two of those guys were out, he often looked scared and jittery, and was less willing to hold on to the ball for longer than a couple seconds to take chances downfield.  When all 3 of them were out, it was beyond ugly (not that I really blame him there).  

It will be telling by mid-point this season how confident he is in that OL.

Excellent point, HTTR.

We have 3 studs on the O-line & if we could land Q. Nelson in the draft, we would have 4.

Either way, Alex Smith has the legs to move around more & quicker if need be.

Cousins didn't have that, but Keenum could move around well too.

Cousins might well give them the better passer QB skills with the arm, but not so much the legs to move around when things break down.

What's the overall consensus of the Vikings O-line?

Are they really good, average or poor?

That may be what they should target high in the draft if possible.

You MUST protect Cousins & give him all day to throw.

Otherwise, he will just crumble into a fetal position in defeat.

If you can protect him, you will score lots of points.

Case did NOT get the job done. during the course of the season he had many completions that his receivers made acrobatic catches of. if they had not come down with them, no one would have blamed them, but they did. in the playoffs he played less than average, which won't win you playoff games.

Case beat the Saints with the game winning pass? hardly. all the defender had to do was tackle Diggs inbounds and it would have been game over with a Saints win.

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

But did you know Cousins is 1-8 playing vs team in a dome?

Did you know he's 8-12 vs teams inside his Division?

His record on Prime Time is pretty bad, as well as his Season openers.

Now maybe this changes going to the Vikings? But if it doesn't, this could have a major impact on the Vikings at least for the 2018 season & possibly beyond.

I mean, how will they perform at home now, being as they play in a Dome?

Case Keenum, pre-Vikings career up to 2016 —> Keenum’s 2017 regular season in Minnesota: 

...in a dome: 2-2 —> 8-1

...vs own division: 4-7 —> 5-1

...in primetime: 1-4 —> 2-0

...at home: 5-8 —> 6-1

A year ago, your analysis would’ve predicted Keenum would be just as bad in 2017 at winning games in those situations as he’d been earlier in his career. Instead, playing with a better team than he’d had with the Texans or Rams, he won almost all his games as the Vikings starter. 

Cousins should do better than his career numbers in 2018, for the same reason Keenum did in 2017 — he’s on a better team now. 

Keenum best season with the Vikings is what Cousins typical season is. I think the Vikings didn’t want to bet on Keenum having the same season moving forward so they paid Cousins because they know his seasons will look like Keenum season in 2017. I just want to see if Cousins can lead the Vikings to the SB? He had pressure  in Washington to do so and failed. The pressure in Minnesota will be times 100. He is in a division with ARod, which is better than Wentz. Trubisky should be on the rise (many people think a Goff type of season) and of course Stafford who is very good. Cousins possibly is the 3rd best QB in the NFCN but got a fully guaranteed contract. The NFC as a conference is brutal. The Vikings could be the best team in the NFC but it wouldn’t shock me if they barely made or missed the playoffs this upcoming season.

Long term is what I’m looking at with how many big impactful FAs the Vikings could lose. So I don’t fault anyone who says they should’ve kept Keenum or anyone who says it was good to let him go. I personally would’ve kept Keenum. He proved his worth. The biggest question moving forward had Keenum stayed was how would he do without Shurmur. Outside of that, Keenum would’ve been cheaper and the chemistry and success he had with the Vikings would’ve still be there next season and beyond. You don’t mess with the cha-cha and I think the Vikings did as such. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out though. 

The way the OP has constructed the thread, its title is really misleading.

It should be: Why do the Vikings think Kirk Cousins is a good quarterback?

The answer to that is simple; because it's pretty clear that he is. Now--if you want to discuss whether it was a great move by the Vikings...that's less cut and dried. Keenum did a good job, got them to the NFC Championship game, and wasn't much at fault for the Vikes not making it to the Super Bowl. If they had went forward with Keenum, that would have went over well with the team, and also put them in a better monetary situation. With Cousins, they'll be wedged tight against the cap, making their current SB window smaller. The flip side to all that is that true franchise quarterbacks are never available for nothing other than money, and Keenum hadn't really proven he was a franchise guy, just that he was close enough he could be. 

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Case seem to have pretty good mobility & could improvise on the fly.

Cousins is Mr. Roboto. Doesn't alleviate from any play call & less mobile.

Case seemed to do well under pressure & make plays.

Cousins usually cracks under pressure & very susceptible to turning the ball over in those situations.

You guys are getting a very different QB than Case. I'm just not so sure, that's a good thing for you guys.

my favorite life quote....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Zimmer was often at odds with Keenum and his style. It was apparent that his preference was for a more cool and collected type at QB. Cousins fits Zimmer more than Keenum does and it's not even close.  

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer was often at odds with Keenum and his style. It was apparent that his preference was for a more cool and collected type at QB. Cousins fits Zimmer more than Keenum does and it's not even close.  

Ummm...

washknee.0.gif

5 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

That's the only part I disagree with.  Gruden is actually one of the best offensive minds in the league.

The one question that will determine how Kirk performs for the Vikings, IMO, is how much trust does he have in his OL?  When he was being protected by 3 guys who were top 5 or 10 at their respective positions (Trent, Scherff, Moses) he was on point and you could see the confidence he had in himself to make tough throws.  When one or two of those guys were out, he often looked scared and jittery, and was less willing to hold on to the ball for longer than a couple seconds to take chances downfield.  When all 3 of them were out, it was beyond ugly (not that I really blame him there).  

It will be telling by mid-point this season how confident he is in that OL.

Yea that's the weakest point I made I agree, just as someone who knew what Flip did here and how our staff contoured the scheme to the QB playing and was a part of redzone & 3rd down scheming..I think he'll do well. He will put Kirk in situations to succeed and will push him to be more than the play it safe guy that has him stuck in the middle of the QB pack right now. 

Though Flip probably won't make it til the end of Kirk's tenure there. Even just a solid job in year 1 or 2 and  he's getting a HC gig.

5 hours ago, biletnikoff said:

Vikings have made playoffs a lot over the years ,no matter who the QB was. Case isn't  needed. 

Call me crazy but whenever any NFL team builds their roster they are thinking of winning it all not just barely making it into the playoffs. I'd hop off any teams support if mediocrity was the just the goal.

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Call me crazy but whenever any NFL team builds their roster they are thinking of winning it all not just barely making it into the playoffs. I'd hop off any teams support if mediocrity was the just the goal.

I said they make the playoffs repeatedly, no matter who's on the roster.  That's success -period. It's obviously  up to the league  how far they go, when in.

Case was out there doing exactly what was asked of him, and succeeded because of the team around him and more importantly the scheme. Case didn't play poorly, in fact there were times when he was good, but he wasn't wowing anybody. I hardly ever thought to myself "Wow amazing play by Case there!"

It would've been foolish to pay him. I don't know if Kirk is the answer, but it sure wasn't Case either.

Archived