The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

I really like the urgency in which they dealt with Hunter's injury. They went out and traded for Ngakoue. Wouldn't it be nice if Spielman prioritized the offensive line as highly? When he failed in free agency and then didn't get a guard in the draft that could start if he wanted the team to have offensive consistency this year he should have made the best trade he could for a guard. It's a real shame the team came into the year with Elflein and Dozier as their starting guards.

A real shame.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Any chance we would have the funds to go out and get Ryan Ramczyk in the offseaon? Throw him at RT and put Oneill at LT? Or will most of our budget get put towards trying to resign Yan?

I don't see the $$$, especially since we're going to need to pay Yannick.

27 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I don't see the $$$, especially since we're going to need to pay Yannick.

That’s what I kinda thought too but thought I’d throw it out there for the sake of conversation. And maybe we could restructure ABs contract along with Ant Harris coming off the books as we'll.

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless how I feel about the coaching staff moving forward. I would hate to see this team move away from this wide zone that they’re currently implementing. 

60% of the line is playing very good, if not great, football. Just competent play from the guards and we may be talking about a top 10 performing offensive line. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Regardless how I feel about the coaching staff moving forward. I would hate to see this team move away from this wide zone that they’re currently implementing. 

60% of the line is playing very good, if not great, football. Just competent play from the guards and we may be talking about a top 10 performing offensive line. 

Which exemplifies the sad state of affairs that is offensive line play in the entire NFL.  20 years ago, having just competent play from guards, they'd still be a bottom 10 offensive line.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Even if this year doesn't work out well for us, its important that the young guys play well. I'm happy Bradbury is getting it down.

Bradbury has been lightyears better this year, even with worse guard play on either side of him.

Question - if Cleveland hits at guard, does that change the narrative for anyone about the Vikings OL? That would be 3 top 3 round picks playing well and Reiff while not a pro bowler, I would argue has lived up to his contract. They'd still have some work to do, and Cleveland hitting is a big if, but I think this would finally be the first time under Zimmer that they had the right guys AND the right scheme.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This is the first instance all season where they've now referenced playing him some at tackle.  I still think it'll be after the bye when they work him in.

I'd start him at G, even though his skill-set is at T. 

Our Guard play in pass-protection has been one of the big reasons we're not 3-2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

This is the first instance all season where they've now referenced playing him some at tackle.  I still think it'll be after the bye when they work him in.

Agreed, working him in during the BYE week makes the most sense. 

We can now wonder what his long term position is again based on Kubiak's comments. This makes me lean back in the camp of he is the Reiff replacement and LTotF.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I’m guessing that his work at tackle is in an emergency sense. The team carries 3 backup linemen into the game with Hill as the backup swing tackle, Jones as the primary backup center and emergency guard, and Cleveland the primary backup guard and emergency tackle. 

I don’t think Kubiak mentioning a few reps at tackle changes what the team has been doing all camp and season. Especially considering what teams do in practice during the season compared to practices in training camp, OTAs, etc. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1