The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

We might have to change the thread title.  Who amongst us, at the beginning of the season, would have thought the o-line would have been a strength of the team?   Certainly not me.  Most of us were hoping that the o-line would rise to middle-of-the pack, and not hold back the rest of the team.  Could we now have a top 10, or even top 5 line?  Hasn't given up a sack in the last five games (some of this is a credit to Keenum), gaping holes in the run game.  What's not to like?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

We might have to change the thread title.  Who amongst us, at the beginning of the season, would have thought the o-line would have been a strength of the team?   Certainly not me.  Most of us were hoping that the o-line would rise to middle-of-the pack, and not hold back the rest of the team.  Could we now have a top 10, or even top 5 line?  Hasn't given up a sack in the last five games (some of this is a credit to Keenum), gaping holes in the run game.  What's not to like?

While the thread title is certainly not really accurate at this point, there's absolutely no way I could put the offensive line as a top 5 o-line...and they'd barely be considered a top-10 offensive line.  They are what we need them to be, an adequate offensive line.  Their pass-blocking has been stellar, but their run-blocking still leaves a lot to be desired.  

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Football outsiders has then ranked as the #2 Pass Blocking line and 20th in adjusted line yards (run blocking efficiency)

What overall ranking do they give them then?  If we spend our 1st round pick next year on an outstanding guard, and Elflein has another year under his belt, how impressive a line would we have next year?

There isn't really an overall rank as the blocking for each facet is so different. They are (and should be IMO) graded separately. These are efficiency stats, not a proclamation or a definitive list of best to worst.

I like Football Outsiders because they do account for down, distance, opponent, etc. These factors matter when talking about meaningful stats.

I agree that after last season, it certainly is refreshing to talk about how much better this line is.  I don't know how the "experts" matrices work in determining a lines effectiveness. What I tend to look at are :

1. Are they working well as a unit?

2. Does the QB have a relatively clean uniform after the game?

3. Are running backs making positive yards at crucial points in the game?

The answer to my three questions are a resounding yes.

5 hours ago, TENINCH said:

That David Morgan block and block scheme are rather impressive as well. Morgan  Love the creativity coming out of the offense. Running plays seem simple but scheming them like this makes it exciting to watch.

Analytics site Pro Football Focus calculated that Keenum faced pressure on 40 percent of his dropbacks (16 of 40) and went 8-for-15 for 62 yards for a passer rating of 63.8. The site noted that four of Keenum’s incompletions were purposeful throwaways to avoid sacks.

When Keenum was “kept clean” he was 18-for-22 for 225 yards, one touchdown and a passer rating of 124.4.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Stats-That-Stood-Out-Vikings-Rams/3abae287-47f8-4660-a467-76cf0f50afdd?sf173756377=1

3 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I definitely think Hill was a great addition last year, and while he may not replace Remmers outright, he seems to be a very good option as a swing tackle and spot starter.

Could always start Hill at RT and move Remmers to RG next year. Not really a spot for Hill to be a full time starter as long as Berger is here.