The Often Overbearing, But Otherwise Ordinary Offensive Line

SemperFeist

Every NFL General Manager wants to draft players that make an immediate impact. That is exactly what Vikings center Pat Elflein has done, as the rookie has played every one of Minnesota’s 558 offensive snaps so far in 2017.

Elflein, a third-round pick out of Ohio State, was recently named to Pro Football Focus’ Midseason All-Rookie Team for his strong start to his career.

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-4-Vikings-Land-on-Midseason-All-Pro-Teams/5882d8f9-279b-4958-bdf3-48b9710e89c6?sf157281789=1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Every NFL General Manager wants to draft players that make an immediate impact. That is exactly what Vikings center Pat Elflein has done, as the rookie has played every one of Minnesota’s 558 offensive snaps so far in 2017.

Elflein, a third-round pick out of Ohio State, was recently named to Pro Football Focus’ Midseason All-Rookie Team for his strong start to his career.

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-4-Vikings-Land-on-Midseason-All-Pro-Teams/5882d8f9-279b-4958-bdf3-48b9710e89c6?sf157281789=1

Just curious, are there any other rookie centers starting to compete against him? PFF has consistently ranked him as a bottom 5 starting center.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Just curious, are there any other rookie centers starting to compete against him? PFF has consistently ranked him as a bottom 5 starting center.

He has to be doing something right, because our line is leaps and bounds better this year, and you don’t hear his name called often. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Elite Stat: Elflein has a pass blocking efficiency of 98.0 over the last two games after having a pass blocking efficiency of 94.9 in his first six.

Elflein is the only rookie center to start every game, where the most any other rookie center has started is three. On the bright side, he hasn’t allowed a sack in seven of his eight games. He has also notably graded well on screen blocks. On the down side, he has allowed more pressures than one would like from a center, and hasn’t graded well as a run blocker.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2017-mid-season-pff-nfl-all-rookie-team

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Ryan Kerrigan is the most underrated pass rusher in the NFL, and I can’t recall hearing his name mentioned once during the game, yesterday. 

A round of applause ? for Rashod Hill in his first career start!

Surprising how much the tackle position has become a stength in just one offseason. goes to show the impact system and health can have. 

I wonder if there would be thoughts in moving Remmers to RG and keeping Hill at RT as they look for Bergers replacement in a year.

Edited by vikingsrule

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Surprising how much the tackle position has become a stength in just one offseason. goes to show the impact system and health can have. 

I wonder if there would be thoughts in moving Remmers to RG and keeping Hill at RT as they look for Bergers replacement in a year.

I'm not sure, but I think Isidora would have the inside track on replacing Berger next year.  

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I hope not. Having Hill as the swing tackle is a huge component to having depth at the tackle position. Don’t mess with it. 

I think you’re much better off going out and either targeting a free agent guard, or, preferably, drafting someone. 

My top option would be drafting Billy Price, out of Ohio State, in the second round. Plug him in at LG, and start Isidora at RG (maybe flip flop those two, who knows). Then that would give you Reiff and Remmers with Hill as the swing tackle backup at the tackle position, and Price, Elflein, Isidora, and Easton as the utility interior lineman on the inside. Add in Sirles as a utility lineman and another developmental lineman, and the quality/depth of this offensive line becomes a strength in a span of 2 years. 

• Like 1

The Vikings offensive line didn’t allow a sack of Keenum for the fourth full game this season, but PFF did count a pressure of Keenum on 30 percent of his dropbacks (nine of 30). In the face of pressure, Keenum was 4-for-9 for 24 yards with an interception. When Keenum was “kept clean” and did not face pressure, he completed 17 of 20 passes (85 percent) for 280 yards with four touchdowns and an interception for a passer rating of 137.5.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Stats-That-Stood-Out-Vikings-at-Redskins/7bd3106d-988f-4f33-8e57-b1bcc4148a6f?sf166963223=1