***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Infinity Wars

Deadpulse

20 hours ago, JonStark said:

I would strongly recommend against doing that.

Totally avoided the thread for the last two days, simply because of said argument. You're good peeps, @Bullet Club, so heed my warning. 

Interesting "theory" I heard - Thanos had to wait for the events of Thor: Ragnarok before he could "do it himself" in regards to collecting the stones - if Odin (protector of the nine realms) got wind of the Titan collecting the stones, he'd have the strength and armory to actually do something about it. With Odin gone (and both Odinsons fresh off of a pretty brutal battle vs Hela) Thanos had the opening to start collecting the stones on his own. It would explain why Thanos used agents to get the stones to begin with in Avengers/GotG 1.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Totally avoided the thread for the last two days, simply because of said argument. You're good peeps, @Bullet Club, so heed my warning. 

Interesting "theory" I heard - Thanos had to wait for the events of Thor: Ragnarok before he could "do it himself" in regards to collecting the stones - if Odin (protector of the nine realms) got wind of the Titan collecting the stones, he'd have the strength and armory to actually do something about it. With Odin gone (and both Odinsons fresh off of a pretty brutal battle vs Hela) Thanos had the opening to start collecting the stones on his own. It would explain why Thanos used agents to get the stones to begin with in Avengers/GotG 1.

Yeah, this was one of my theories that I stated a few pages back... though, well, yeah... I’m sure it was lost in that other topic.

Odin and Hela both seem like they would have had the ability to oppose Thanos. And even though Hela was creepy and her tendencies were ruthless which made her a dictator, she still sought to rule over the 9 realms. Even she would have looked to oppose Thanos (like she did that fire demon that I can’t remember his name)... and probably would have had the power to stop or contain him without Infinity Stones. Thor by the end of Infinity War probably was just getting on her level.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

To further add to this, even if Odin wouldn't have interfered with him collecting the stones for a bit, he CERTAINLY would've stepped in the second Thanos got involved on Nidavellir. One of the Nine Realms, and without it's own internal protectors (like Earth has with the Avengers.) I could see Odin not caring about Xandar or maybe even Nowhere, and maybe just sending Thor to help if he went for Earth, but he definitely would've stepped in on Nidavellir.

Thanos taking action really coincided with a number of substantial weakenings of universal protectors, honestly. Odin would've intervened at some point. As powerful as Doctor Strange is he wouldn't have a reputation at this point to rival the Ancient One. And it's safe to presume that Thanos was monitoring Earth after the first Avengers, and you have a pretty public weakening of the group there too. At a glance, Xandar's Nova Corps may have looked like the biggest resistance left. But that's more the kind of threat that a Chitauri army can handle.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 5:36 PM, Bullet Club said:

Has there been a moral argument going on with Thanos' methods for like the last 40 pages? When I'm bored enough I may reread that

Can verify, read it all, not as interesting as one would hope.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

To further add to this, even if Odin wouldn't have interfered with him collecting the stones for a bit, he CERTAINLY would've stepped in the second Thanos got involved on Nidavellir. One of the Nine Realms, and without it's own internal protectors (like Earth has with the Avengers.) I could see Odin not caring about Xandar or maybe even Nowhere, and maybe just sending Thor to help if he went for Earth, but he definitely would've stepped in on Nidavellir.

Thanos taking action really coincided with a number of substantial weakenings of universal protectors, honestly. Odin would've intervened at some point. As powerful as Doctor Strange is he wouldn't have a reputation at this point to rival the Ancient One. And it's safe to presume that Thanos was monitoring Earth after the first Avengers, and you have a pretty public weakening of the group there too. At a glance, Xandar's Nova Corps may have looked like the biggest resistance left. But that's more the kind of threat that a Chitauri army can handle.

You've got to think he sensed the demise of Ego as well - his daughter and (more specifically) her boyfriend lost a ton of their cosmic strength after that confrontation.

If all of these are true, Thanos really played the long game on this. Played it well, too.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

You've got to think he sensed the demise of Ego as well - his daughter and (more specifically) her boyfriend lost a ton of their cosmic strength after that confrontation.

If all of these are true, Thanos really played the long game on this. Played it well, too.

Agreed. It all seems very smart, very calculated. I mean something had to have tipped him off with regard to finding the Asguardians. Especially since Heimdall can generally sense threats at a level that makes Spider-Man’s spidey sense look like grade school PE compared to pro ball.

I bet he was monitoring that Hela situation closely. Probably knew once Odin passed that Asguard would be weak from civil war and easier to take out. The fact that he got to face Thor vs Hela was likely even better luck for him. Really smart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It's really just good writing for the universe as a whole. Because ultimately it all adds up to the strongest villain attacking at the weakest time, which will make it all the more fulfilling and satisfying when they regroup to win. We've seen solo movies botch that kind of arc/development. Awesome to get it over the course of a few years worth of movies.

• Like 3

This has been a pet peeve in this tread, and I just realized this thread has it wrong in the title;

its Avengers: Infinity WAR not ‘wars’. It’s a singular War currently. Get it right. 

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Makes sense. Just a fleeting hope its X-Men Quicksilver. Would love to see one more of his slow motion scenes.

It’s not happening. Stop thinking it will

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

This has been a pet peeve in this tread, and I just realized this thread has it wrong in the title;

its Avengers: Infinity WAR not ‘wars’. It’s a singular War currently. Get it right. 

It’s not happening. Stop thinking it will

You know. Not sure how the stick got stuck there. But I'm sure there is a surgeon somewhere out there good enough to remove it no matter how deep it is.  You gotta stay positive and not give in.:P

Edited by Calvert28