2018 NFL Draft Thread - READ!!!

CBears019

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Because they already have Von Miller, the league has a salary cap, the Broncos aren't a second pass rusher away from getting to the Super Bowl, and there were two different teams looking to trade up to get a quarterback. 

If the Broncos didn't feel comfortable trading down, they should have taken Nelson. 

Sure, but when is having two great pass rushers ever a bad thing?  Chubb will be held under a reasonable salary for the next 4 years and by the time he needs a new contract Miller will most likely be gone or retired.  

As for trading down, as I mentioned yesterday it always takes two and you need to be getting the right value back in return.  Can't just trade down for the sake of it and get peanuts in return. 

Also the asking price for the Bills to move up to 5 was likely a lot more than they paid to move up to 7 and they still got their guy in Allen.  Arizona wasn't moving up that high either to take Rosen.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I want so many of these guys that are availabe right now, my gut is telling me we either move way up to secure landry, or we are about to see a series of trade backs and pick gathering

I think Pace is looking at clouds of talent rounds 2-7 and seeing where he can land a quality EDGE, OG, and OT. Based on that he's either going to select a player at #39 or wheel and deal to give himself the best chance to land a player from each of those clouds.

To me, if Landry has clean medicals with us and he's there at #39 that is the pick. If he's not and Will Hernandez is there, take the pick.

If a lot of these dudes are in the same cloud, trade down once or twice and see what you have available. You'll likely get another 4th round pick which you can combine with another 4th rounder we already have and trade back up into the 3rd if we find a dance partner. Should be really interesting to see how he approaches this.

5 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I want so many of these guys that are availabe right now, my gut is telling me we either move way up to secure landry, or we are about to see a series of trade backs and pick gathering

I think I'm just about done with Landry. His ankle was bad all year, and now they're saying his knee and back issues are bad. I'll pass.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I think I'm just about done with Landry. His ankle was bad all year, and now they're saying his knee and back issues are bad. I'll pass.

For a player that overly relies on his elite burst, yeah, having back/knee issues along with a bum ankle that made you look like 1/2 the pass rusher you were the year before is troubling.

My major concern with him was functional strength in run support and was he someone that loses all his mojo if his lower body is dinged.

If Josh Sweat has clean medicals with us, man, I'd trade down a bit and draft his ***.

Just now, G08 said:

For a player that overly relies on his elite burst, yeah, having back/knee issues along with a bum ankle that made you look like 1/2 the pass rusher you were the year before is troubling.

My major concern with him was functional strength in run support and was he someone that loses all his mojo if his lower body is dinged.

If Josh Sweat has clean medicals with us, man, I'd trade down a bit and draft his ***.

His athleticism is phenomenal. This was Jadaveon Clowney II, as in, if he had been healthy at FSU, he might have been the #1 pick in the draft this year. He could have been great, but medical issue after medical issue later, I'll pass. I think it's chronic.

Speaking of trading back... rumor that the Chargers may be hot for Mason Rudolph. Denver could be a threat to take him at #40... maybe we offer #39 and #115 to them for #48 and #84.

That leaves us with #48, #84, #105, #145, #181 and #224

7 minutes ago, G08 said:

Speaking of trading back... rumor that the Chargers may be hot for Mason Rudolph. Denver could be a threat to take him at #40... maybe we offer #39 and #115 to them for #48 and #84.

That leaves us with #48, #84, #105, #145, #181 and #224

Sign me up

My board right now for day 2

1. Landry-OLB (Depending on his medicals.. He's the kind of player who needs to be near 100% for his game to work, since it depends so heavily on speed/bend..... We know his ankle was a problem last year, rumors are that he has knee and back problems too... I'd be double or even triple checking with the medical staff before making the pick, but if he's cleared then this is the home run swing for us in the second, and I'd gladly trade UP for him)

2. Isaiah Oliver-CB
I didn't get too crazy scouting him but he grades out very well and I think fits the scheme better than Josh Jackson. I'd add that I have no faith in either Fuller or Prince repeating their fairly remarkable seasons last year... Prince is going to decline, and Fuller's year last year could easily be his outlier/peak.

3. Hernandez-OG
This guy is mean as hell, and I love that for an OL prospect. I honestly had him graded out close to Nelson as a prospect and wouldn't be surprised at all to see him making multiple pro bowls. He's only lower overall on my board because I think there's still going to be potential guards on the board later (Kappa and Parker... both OT prospects who at worst will make solid guards)

4. Trade down
This one could be better depending on who we select, and I really want to land DJ Chark-WR later in the draft (and am skeptical he's making it to the 4th)... So I'd need to pick up a mid 2nd and then a 3rd, which means a pretty big jump down in round 2. Maybe Target Lorenzo Carter and embrace the potential Georgia Bulldog Memes

a) *small trade down* Crosby-OT
Scheme fit (played at Oregon), great in run game, graded out very well and I'm pretty sure knows Helfrich

b) *medium-large trade down* DJ Chark-WR
One of my favorite prospects after not just a stellar combine, but a stellar Senior Bowl... This kid is under the radar because of how atrocious LSU's QB play was, and even as a rookie who knows less than John Snow, he's still got value as a deep threat. Give this kid someone who can actually throw him the ball and he's primed to be a stud.

Surprises of first round:

1.  Baker Mayfield going no. 1.  He was best QB in college football last year, but doesn't have the measurables the NFL covets.  Few people thought he would be first selection.  PFF was right on Mayfield big and wrong big on Maurice Hurst.   At least draftwise.   Those were their top two guys based on analytics.   I guess you could reverse that depending on future actual performance. Or they could be right on both or wrong on both.  

2. Giants taking Barkley no. 2.  Many people predicted this, but its hard to believe it happened.  Eli Manning is both football old and hasn't played well lately.  They had presumably their no .1 QB choice sitting in front of them and passed for a RB.   Alternatively, they probably could have made a big trade in months leading up to draft and restocked their roster.  If they don't win big with Eli in next 2 years this was a bad move.   Finding franchise QBs is hard when you aren't drafting in top 3 and no RB is worth the haul they could have had in a trade.   Maybe they love Webb and we don't know it.  

3.  Ward going 4.  Ward is good, but I didn't see him going no. 4 to Browns.  Not a terrible pick, just surprising.  

4. McGlinchey at 9.  OTs are valuable, but McGlinchey's talent didn't warrant a top 10 pick.  

5. Payne at 13.  Good player, but not 13th best player in the draft.

6. Penny to Seahawks.  Not really a surprise just a criticism.  For a team that drafted so good years ago building a SB team, their recent drafts have been pretty crappy.  Penny might be good, I haven't watched him, but this is like 5th or 6th  RB they have drafted in last 3 years.  No idea how many, just going off memory.  They keep drafting OL and RBs and missing on both so I'm going to assume Penny isn't that good.  

7. Lamar Jackson in first round.  Great athlete and player, but you have to have a Lamar Jackson scheme  (which can work) and no NFL team has been willing to stick with it past one season unless you count Carolina running power for a few years with Newton (which they abandoned last year).  They all want to play cookie cutter schemes.

8.  Harold Landry falling out of the first round.  I guess its only surprising because we don't have all the info the teams do.  Apparently he has a bad back and knee.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am a little surprised by the lack of conviction on Landry.

I thought that he must be who they were trying to move up to get late 1. 

Don’t get me wrong - if Landry is there he’s my guy 100% with no chance of a trade down. I doubt he’s still there at 39 though and I have high levels of skepticism as to whether Pace will pay the price to move up to get him. He’d either have to move future picks or mortgage much of the rest of our draft. Smith and Landry though? Man... ?

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Surprises of first round:

1.  Baker Mayfield going no. 1.  He was best QB in college football last year, but doesn't have the measurables the NFL covets.  Few people thought he would be first selection.  PFF was right on Mayfield big and wrong big on Maurice Hurst.   At least draftwise.   Those were their top two guys based on analytics.   I guess you could reverse that depending on future actual performance. Or they could be right on both or wrong on both.  

2. Giants taking Barkley no. 2.  Many people predicted this, but its hard to believe it happened.  Eli Manning is both football old and hasn't played well lately.  They had presumably their no .1 QB choice sitting in front of them and passed for a RB.   Alternatively, they probably could have made a big trade in months leading up to draft and restocked their roster.  If they don't win big with Eli in next 2 years this was a bad move.   Finding franchise QBs is hard when you aren't drafting in top 3 and no RB is worth the haul they could have had in a trade.   Maybe they love Webb and we don't know it.  

3.  Ward going 4.  Ward is good, but I didn't see him going no. 4 to Browns.  Not a terrible pick, just surprising.  

4. McGlinchey at 9.  OTs are valuable, but McGlinchey's talent didn't warrant a top 10 pick.  

5. Payne at 13.  Good player, but not 13th best player in the draft.

6. Penny to Seahawks.  Not really a surprise just a criticism.  For a team that drafted so good years ago building a SB team, their recent drafts have been pretty crappy.  Penny might be good, I haven't watched him, but this is like 5th or 6th  RB they have drafted in last 3 years.  No idea how many, just going off memory.  They keep drafting OL and RBs and missing on both so I'm going to assume Penny isn't that good.  

7. Lamar Jackson in first round.  Great athlete and player, but you have to have a Lamar Jackson scheme  (which can work) and no NFL team has been willing to stick with it past one season unless you count Carolina running power for a few years with Newton (which they abandoned last year).  They all want to play cookie cutter schemes.

8.  Harold Landry falling out of the first round.  I guess its only surprising because we don't have all the info the teams do.  Apparently he has a bad back and knee.

1. Mayfield didn't surprise me only because it was the Browns, and I expected them to do something stupid. I figured it would have been Allen, however, not Mayfield.

2. This pick is going to haunt them badly.... Not because Barkley is bad (far from it) but because ELI is bad now, and they'll never be in range to land "their guy" again. Their offensive skill position talent will keep them just short of the playoffs until management finally realizes that Eli needs to be taken out back behind the shed and put down. They've basically ruined themselves for 5+ years trying to make a clumsy, hamfisted attempt to win another ring within the next 2...

3. Also surprised, and disappointed. He was at the very top of my board (behind Landry, and only because of positional need), and I thought we had a good shot of landing him, especially after the first pick (because I figured Giants would go Darnold and we'd have ended up with 4 QBs, Barkley/Chubb before us)

6. This is imo the single worst pick of the draft. Penny is no where close to a first round talent, imo.

8. Yeah his fall was massively surprising... He was #1 on my board for us at 8.... With his style of pass rush however, injuries are going to take him off his game more than most.

Archived