All Things Wrestling Thread

steelcurtain29

Just now, beekay414 said:

Maybe the schticks and stuff but the wrestling was terrible sans the Cruiserweights lol.

I watched Starrcade 97 the other night and it was beyond brutal lol.

That card was sad for as stacked as that roster was. All the tremendous talent, and you get Bischoff in a match.

I loved how they used Cruisers at that time. I wish they still had that separation. WCW Cruiser division was the best. Watched last night with Eddie with Kidman Connan and Torrie in his corner, against Perry with Dean and Shane Douglass in his. Killer stuff, with solid storylines and in ring storytelling. Better than any going today. Because they combined several storylines and made alliances with them. Like Shane was with Torrie, now with Kidman, which sided him with Perry who had beef with Eddie for parting from him and Dean. Great stuff. Dont see any smooth meshing and storytelling like that today. And back then, that was your adv undercard storytelling.

I just hate the Roman update. It's all the same complaint. Stop. Advertising. Returns. I get wanting the rub from his remission but you could have gotten the same rub from him surprise returning and then advertising his appearance at the next raw. I also hate them treating the fans like morons with the shield coming to save Ambrose for the cheap pop, stop with the cheap shield pops. I guess I'm just jaded but uUGHHhhhh. Maybe wrestling was always like this but I'm just less dumb. 

That said, the Batista finish was fantastic. What perfectly written stuff. I just would like to see them follow it up with an even stronger segment to get the ball rolling on this program to last until WM. 

I also liked the Rousey/Becky stuff tonight and don't really mind the Rousey mic botches because she's really no worse than 90 percent of the roster at this point. Still would prefer a singles match but given the context of cramming Charlotte in for no real great reason, it's been a good program. Wish they'd sometimes look at how an MMA fight doesn't need a story to be wildly hyped. less can be a lot better. You wouldn't really need much of a build or story with Rousey/Lynch. The heat on the story was already at a nuclear level. Place would been going crazy 5 mins into the match before they even locked up. 

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

@The LBC you think the reports that ronda is leaving after mania are true? it's weird that they'd sign duke and shaffir knowing that ronda is leaving. i'm sure that 4 horsewomen faction would get a run soon. 

She's going to part-time for sure, I know that.  And that's fine, if they run with the other Horsewomen, they don't need Ronda on TV every week or on every PPV to keep her relevant.  She's the tippy-top dog of that stable, you should have to go through all the others to get to her - same was it was with Flair and the Horsemen back in the early bridge days from NWA to WCW under Bill Watts.  They aren't going to payoff an actual 4 vs 4 match until Survivor Series at the absolute earliest, possibly even next year's Mania - which is good because Shaffir especially, but Duke also need that time to get in-ring seasoning.

29 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I just hate the Roman update. It's all the same complaint. Stop. Advertising. Returns. I get wanting the rub from his remission but you could have gotten the same rub from him surprise returning and then advertising his appearance at the next raw. I also hate them treating the fans like morons with the shield coming to save Ambrose for the cheap pop, stop with the cheap shield pops. I guess I'm just jaded but uUGHHhhhh. Maybe wrestling was always like this but I'm just less dumb. 

That said, the Batista finish was fantastic. What perfectly written stuff. I just would like to see them follow it up with an even stronger segment to get the ball rolling on this program to last until WM. 

I also liked the Rousey/Becky stuff tonight and don't really mind the Rousey mic botches because she's really no worse than 90 percent of the roster at this point. Still would prefer a singles match but given the context of cramming Charlotte in for no real great reason, it's been a good program. Wish they'd sometimes look at how an MMA fight doesn't need a story to be wildly hyped. less can be a lot better. You wouldn't really need much of a build or story with Rousey/Lynch. The heat on the story was already at a nuclear level. Place would been going crazy 5 mins into the match before they even locked up. 

I figured there had to be something more to the Flair birthday celebration than just honoring Ric if they weren't going to bring him out at the beginning of the show and make him King for a Day sort of thing - which advertising the Roman return made it clear they weren't going to do.  So I figured it had to be either Batista or Becky involved in something with Ric - though I'll admit, my money was on Becky until they actually made such a big thing about her being "arrested."  Thought it would have been a great anti-hero/Austin-ish thing: "You said in order to be the main, I had to beat the man.  Well, I just beat the *bleep* out of the man.  So I guess that makes me your new Daddy, Charlotte."

That said, while I enjoy Becky's stuff and she's getting over with male audiences, she's not getting over with the female audiences because all the stuff she's doing is way more appealing to the payoffs and angles that men want to see.  I get the feeling that if she were to have taken that "Baddest B on the planet" moniker instead of Ronda, she'd probably be appealing to more women.  Ronda not being able to promo all that well (and her not walking out the way she did in MMA) is wasting that nic.

Archived