Kolton Miller, OT UCLA -- Raiders' 1st Selection 15th Overall

Trojan

23 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

If you think about it: penn is old and on the way out, and so many question marks at RT. Kolton is athletic, huge, Gruden saw enough to want to go coach him up. If he can play LT hell of a pick 

You shouldn't need to "coach up" a top 15 pick 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

What would Kolton Miller have to become for the pick to be worth it? By my estimation, if he turns out to be something like Nate Solder or Eric Fisher within two seasons, I think the pick is worth it. Competent tackles are tough to find which is why we see guys like Matt Khalil and Riley Reiff get paid nearly $12 million per year.

I agree on your assessment.  If he can preform like the 2 you mentioned he would be good value at 15.  LT/RT is a glaring hole on this team and he has the physical traits be to be a very good OT.  Rumors were that Baltimore was going to pick him and if not he would not have gotten past NE at 23.  If those rumors are true and  Ozzie Newsome and the Pats were ready to pull the trigger on this kid he was fairly valued at 15.  I trust Newsome and the Pats ability to evaluate talent over the talking media heads on TV.  

I still say walking out of the first with Miller at 15 and Bryant for a 3rd is a win.  We could have stuck at 10, drafted McGlinchy and never landed Bryant.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

Just now, CaliforniaKid7 said:

So you wouldn’t have been happy with Edmunds, Vea, or Davenport? That’s ridiculous. Every prospect needs to be coached up. 

Miller is a project with bad game film. I didn't like Davenport or Edmunds in the top 15 picks if you follow along. Vea is a day 1 starter and impacts a defense. '

Yes, every player needs coached up. But you shouldn't be trying to develop your 15th overall pick into a starter. At 15 you need someone capable of starting day 1. Miller starting day 1 against the Rams..... can you imagine it? 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Miller is a project with bad game film. I didn't like Davenport or Edmunds in the top 15 picks if you follow along. Vea is a day 1 starter and impacts a defense. '

Yes, every player needs coached up. But you shouldn't be trying to develop your 15th overall pick into a starter. At 15 you need someone capable of starting day 1. Miller starting day 1 against the Rams..... can you imagine it? 

Well atleast they don’t have Robert Quinn anymore I’m worried he will get forklifted especially by Bosa and Houston perticular if he doesn’t get stronger soon

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No I don’t follow along with how you specifically view each player in this draft. 

I cannot see him starting week 1, maybe at RT if he shows we’ll in TC. That’s the thing, we have NO idea. The kid has already failed before stepping into the facility.

So if Miller doesn’t start day one but takes over at LT after this year and plays at a top 10 level for the next decade, is that a failure to you because he didn’t start week one against the Rams in 2018?

• Like 1

I didn't like it, but I also heard Baltimore was strongly considering him at 16 and moved out once we picked him. If we are gonna gamble on upside, at least it's at one of the most premium positions in football. That and Giacomini starting would single handedly ruin our season.

Edited by MrOaktown_56
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree on your assessment.  If he can preform like the 2 you mentioned he would be good value at 15.  LT/RT is a glaring hole on this team and he has the physical traits be to be a very good OT.  Rumors were that Baltimore was going to pick him and if not he would not have gotten past NE at 23.  If those rumors are true and  Ozzie Newsome and the Pats were ready to pull the trigger on this kid he was fairly valued at 15.  I trust Newsome and the Pats ability to evaluate talent over the talking media heads on TV.  

I still say walking out of the first with Miller at 15 and Bryant for a 3rd is a win.  We could have stuck at 10, drafted McGlinchy and never landed Bryant.

Agreed. I think people are underestimating what we're buying into Bryant as a player. We got him for what he could be. He's a terror for defenses. He can truly take the top off. He can make contested/ridiculous catches. He's very dynamic on end arounds/crossing routes. He showed up in Pitt's playoff games too. I'm very pleased with the trade. Be aggressive and add young players with upside and give this team an identity.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to come around. Still would have liked to go another direction but I don't hate it as much as I did at first. Looks like a few great organizations had their eyes on him. I think he's getting a real bad wrap in this forum.

In the end, he's a raider and I'm a raider fan. So I'm a kolton Miller fan!

3 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

I'm beginning to come around. Still would have liked to go another direction but I don't hate it as much as I did at first. Looks like a few great organizations had their eyes on him. I think he's getting a real bad wrap in this forum.

I will say this. Reddit is much more optimistic than here from what I read. I agree with here though lol.

As stated, I'm not sure I could be more disappointed

3 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

I think he's getting a real bad wrap in this forum.

Part of this is a lot of people only look at offensive tackles for what they provide as pass protectors. The criticisms on Miller as a pass blocker are legitimate and he will need to improve there if he's going to be worth the top 15 selection.

As a run blocker, he does do things only athletes of his caliber can do. Miller's ability to pull and seal really shows how not only athletic he is, but also coordinated.  Having the ability to run a tackle through a gap or have him quickly flip his hips to seal a hole is something that can really diversify a run game.

15 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

He’s getting a bad rap in here because he’s not a sexy pick. I like the pick because we have to protect Carr and he will be learning from watching Penn, KO, Hudson and Jackson. 

Edited by SBXISBXVSBXVIII
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FreshPrince said:

I'm trying to be optimistic. I watched the Stanford game last night and came away thoroughly  unimpressed. He looked like a oversized care bear . 

Will watch more games to try to see what they like about him

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I'm trying to be optimistic. I watched the Stanford game last night and came away thoroughly  unimpressed. He looked like a oversized care bear . 

Will watch more games to try to see what they like about him

I'm going to watch all his reps, but apparently he improved through the year.