Yo Denzel Ward

Bonanza23

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We needed a WR in 2016 and took the “best one in the draft”, who (at least athletically) is a mirror image of Ward.

Of course that was at 15 or whatever after securing a slew of assets, but I digress.

I guess my point is just because he’s the top rated player in the draft doesn’t mean he’s a great prospect.  He’s no Ramsey or Peterson, the only other top 5 CB’s taken in the last 14 years, imo, at least as far as prospects.

It just feels like a bit of a reach based on need.

Not to say he can help or be good, but I don’t feel like we got the most bang for our buck if you will.

The dude drafted Marcus peters and scot just drafted kendall fuller in the 3rd they’ve recently had some major hits I think they may deserve benefit of the doubt here

wasnt scot involved in drafting Richard Sherman too?

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Trust me, I was there with you, I was hoping Chubb (which you guys eventually convinced me) . I just chose to look at the positives, ,I know we could have traded down and got a comparable guy but we took the best, we were terrible in coverage, he statistically and eye test wise was the best, we took him, time to move forward in my book. Just yesterday and previous years we used to whine about not getting cute and staying where we are and select good players, we did

I was always fine with getting cute, I think trade downs are the smart play most of the time (obvious exceptions excluded).

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Who had ZERO business starting right away. Our treatment of him was criminal.

I don’t even mind starting him, but run an offense/call plays that protect him, not the most aggressive vertical passing scheme in the league with scrub WR’s.

Hue did him ZERO favors.

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

The dude drafted Marcus peters and scot just drafted kendall fuller in the 3rd they’ve recently had some major hits I think they may deserve benefit of the doubt here

wasnt scot involved in drafting Richard Sherman too?

I never said he wouldn’t be good, but those guys have drafted misses too ya know.

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

I have a feeling that this may turn out to be the best thing for us, I had this feeling when we took JT and Haden, so hopefully this works out

I do think he helps the team, no doubt.

And we have needed a twitched up dude like him for a while.

#positivewhilegrittingmyteeth

I'm not going to lie....my heart was broken when Chubb was left at the station for Denver to have what the Browns could've had with Garrett, Ogbah and Chubb. Especially with the talent that's still on the board at CB. 

BUT.........I do understand why. 

In 5 years you would have had to pay a QB & 2 DEs each $100 million dollar contracts. I'm not saying CBs are cheap, but Ogbah getting an extension now can help with cap hell in the future as he will come cheaper, and with Landry still there for the taking at 33. He will be bring explosion behind Ogbah. Also, Ward solidifies 1 side of the field while the Browns can build the other side today with the picks they have remaining.

I feel the Browns will trade Corey Coleman today to get another day 2 pick to be able snag up another young talent cheaper. 

Good luck to Ward, and hopefully they get Landry and Guide today. 

11 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

I'm not going to lie....my heart was broken when Chubb was left at the station for Denver to have what the Browns could've had with Garrett, Ogbah and Chubb. Especially with the talent that's still on the board at CB. 

BUT.........I do understand why. 

In 5 years you would have had to pay a QB & 2 DEs each $100 million dollar contracts. I'm not saying CBs are cheap, but Ogbah getting an extension now can help with cap hell in the future as he will come cheaper, and with Landry still there for the taking at 33. He will be bring explosion behind Ogbah. Also, Ward solidifies 1 side of the field while the Browns can build the other side today with the picks they have remaining.

I feel the Browns will trade Corey Coleman today to get another day 2 pick to be able snag up another young talent cheaper. 

Good luck to Ward, and hopefully they get Landry and Guide today. 

I honestly hope they don't trade Coleman and I think that would be a really big mistake. WRs more so then any other position need time to get NFL speed down. Trading him now would potentially be giving 1st round talent for peanuts. I think Coleman turns it around this year and blows up. Jmo

41 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

I honestly hope they don't trade Coleman and I think that would be a really big mistake. WRs more so then any other position need time to get NFL speed down. Trading him now would potentially be giving 1st round talent for peanuts. I think Coleman turns it around this year and blows up. Jmo

Agreed.

We’d be selling at the lowest possible point.

He’s shows flashes, hell he lightweight gave Jalen Ramsey the business last season, and hasn’t had an ADEQUATE QB throwing him the back yet.

No way I’m trading Coleman unless the offer is substantial.

10 hours ago, mistakey said:

See ya then

im with @TheeRealDeal  team optimism here let’s try something new 

I've been the biggest Browns pessimist over the last 15+ years, even immediately following draft day when most people wear rose colored glasses, and I'm team optimism on this one. Darnold and Mayfield were a toss up to me, and Mayfield was a bit more...intriguing (in a good, "it factor" way), so I'm good with that pick.

Chubb would have been a good selection at #4 for sure, but if Ward fulfills his potential and is a shutdown type CB for us for the next 10 years, are we going to look back and regret taking him at #4 instead of, say, #6 or 7? I'm sure they tried to slide back a little and the right offer wasn't there, so take the guy you are in love with and don't look back. We have a good personnel office, this isn't Ray Farmer making picks.

And now we're sitting there within striking distance of another 3-5 players who arguably could have been first rounders. Say we get a Guice and Sutton (or Landry). Position group by position group, our roster is looking so much better than the last few seasons. No glaring holes. Maybe no super-imposing positions of strength, but unit by unit a bunch of groups that can hold their own. 

10 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Maybe its not really the media who brings a constant cloud of negativity around all things Browns. Maybe it has been the fan base the whole time.

Small correction: Browns fans + Mr Supreme Negativity himself Tony Grossi. He still counts as media, right? At least unless he mans up on his Mayfield threat/promise...

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Hopefully he drafts like he did in KC. We'll see in the next two years. 

The thing is, who actually made those picks. Reid has had a huge say in who the Eagles picked when he coached them and I really suspect, he had a huge say in who KC drafted and that was why they fired Dorsey. I'd say, Reid made most of the choices as to who to draft for KC and Dorsey wanted other picks, who went on to have less success and that is why they fired him and kept Reid.

It was a classic power struggle and only KC knew who was responsible for what and they chose to let Dorsey go???

Look, I like both Mayfield and Ward, they are both very decent prospects, I just do not think they deserved to go #1 and #4. I strongly believe Darnold and Chubb were better choices, but I guess time will tell and we have Mayfield and Ward and will just have to see how it pans out??? 

One thing that Dorsey has shown since he's been on the job (in free agency and at the draft) is that he doesn't mess around when he really wants a player even if it means a slight overpayment or reach. I don't think we'll be making many consolation picks like Peppers under Dorsey's stewardship. Only 11 players can be on the field at a time and Dorsey wants to fill those spots with players he thinks will have pack a lot of punch.

10 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Bradley Chubb is literally the only non QB in this draft that I would have taken over Denzel Ward and even then it was a toss up for me.

Browns fans just doing what Browns fans do best. 

Maybe its not really the media who brings a constant cloud of negativity around all things Browns. Maybe it has been the fan base the whole time.

You want something to change in Cleveland? I honestly think the only thing we haven't tried changing in 20 years of losing is the constant whining and bitching about every pick second after the pick as if the kid already failed in that blink of an eye. How about Browns fans try to change and maybe things will change for Browns fans?

Well remember we fired the guy that drafted garrett

we fired the guy that wanted garropolo for the 4th overall

Now we are suppose to be excited about a 6 foot tall qb with the smallest hands in the draft.

Archived