2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

Difference makers at DT seem to come out more often than difference makers at edge, these days. I'd love to have a top 5 level talent at edge to couple with our top 5 level talent DT that we already have in Buckner. Who knows, if Thomas' progress stalls, maybe we get a chance at drafting another dominant interior talent next year. But chances are, we won't get a shot at a top 5 level edge rusher next year. We might not have a top 5 pick, and there might not be talent there anyway. Between a front of Buck-Thomas-EDGE stud and a front of Williams-Buck-???, I'd rather have the former, right now. Always depending on who the ??? is, though, and maybe free agency will deliver (for instance, I'd be okay with going with Williams if we signed Dee Ford). But if free agency doesn't solve the issue, the draft has to.

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Oh, it would not be "a wasted pick" for sure, and yes, it is fun to imagine the carnage. All the same, I would ideally like SF to make other arrangements in round 1. Supposed to be an excellent draft for EDGE, and we so need to take advantage early, if possible. They can also supplement well in Free Agency, so there's that too. 

If it's not to be Bosa in the top 5, I wonder if most here would rather trade back a very short way or just go BPA.. which then may go back to where your thinking is. I'm really not sure how I feel; I have yet to really "put in the work" to make a strong stance. 

Josh Allen is a great place to start when you begin putting in the work. I get it though, as much as I like the idea of Williams I’m still holding out hope for Bosa and then Allen before we do anything i.e. trade back or take BPA.

24 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Josh Allen is a great place to start when you begin putting in the work. I get it though, as much as I like the idea of Williams I’m still holding out hope for Bosa and then Allen before we do anything i.e. trade back or take BPA.

Looked at a quick highlight vid of him, and yes, he's impressive. He seemed a bit light, but it's way too early to condemn him in any way, for me.

Just started looking at some Ferrell vid, and he looks more of what I ws talking about (balanced) earlier. Looks like he can really get after a QB out AND INSIDE as needed... but like Allen.. so very preliminary of an assessment. 

42 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Looked at a quick highlight vid of him, and yes, he's impressive. He seemed a bit light, but it's way too early to condemn him in any way, for me.

Just started looking at some Ferrell vid, and he looks more of what I ws talking about (balanced) earlier. Looks like he can really get after a QB out AND INSIDE as needed... but like Allen.. so very preliminary of an assessment. 

The crazy part is, out of the leo edge guys who will go in the first, he's probably the heaviest besides Bosa (who should come in around 265 I'd imagine). I think Burns and Polite are playing around 230, maybe less, which is much too light. Allen is supposedly 240-245, so he's probably closer to where he needs to be. Montez Sweat should be really close as well though.  Ferrell would obviously be heavier, but I think his natural position is going to be a SDE 5 tech, not on the weak side. 

This is definitely the draft to invest in the edge, but not just in the first round. If we were to to take Williams, a guy I would probably target later is Ronheen Bingham. I think he's the best pure pass-rusher after Bruns in the entire draft. Will be interesting to see how he measures@the Combine(he should get a invite) because his arms look to be on the short side but I love his closing speed and how he just hunts the ball. Competition wasn't the greatest but I just like the way he attacks blockers and gets upfield. Could also see him playing SAM for us as well. He seems versatile enough.

I’ll add to that as well @757-NINER. If we do end up going Williams in the 1st for example there’s a couple guys I really like who should be available in rounds 2-4. Jaylon Ferguson, Oshane Ximines, D’Andre Walker, Porter Gustin, Max Crosby, Chase Winovich, Austin Bryant, Ben Banogu, Jalen Jelks and you can add in Kenny Wilikes and Shareef Miller if they declare. A lot of edge help in this draft to be sure, I’d like to see one of these names I listed added even if we add Allen or Bosa

I think it's very important not to use the depth of the edge rushing class as a crutch to address the edge spot until later in the draft. Obviously a lot can change with free agency, but as it stands, the edge, regardless of what you do with the first pick, needs to be addressed in the first 2. I have no problem with taking Williams and then trading up for Burns / Sweat / Polite / Ferrell (seeing him mocked in the 20s quite a bit now) or whoever tumbles just a bit. Your best players still typically are coming from your higher picks, and I don't want to chance solving that edge rushing problem on the depth of this class. Even in deep positional classes, the majority of your middle round picks are still going to be busts and flameouts. You simply have a higher likelihood of hitting on the earlier picks. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's very important not to use the depth of the edge rushing class as a crutch to address the edge spot until later in the draft. Obviously a lot can change with free agency, but as it stands, the edge, regardless of what you do with the first pick, needs to be addressed in the first 2. I have no problem with taking Williams and then trading up for Burns / Sweat / Polite / Ferrell (seeing him mocked in the 20s quite a bit now) or whoever tumbles just a bit. Your best players still typically are coming from your higher picks, and I don't want to chance solving that edge rushing problem on the depth of this class. Even in deep positional classes, the majority of your middle round picks are still going to be busts and flameouts. You simply have a higher likelihood of hitting on the earlier picks. 

Agreed. It's time. Time to strike with aggression at this position.

Za'Darius Smith in FA + a day 1 or 2 rookie will bring much confidence in the 2019 defense. 

I agree @Forge. We shouldn’t put it off till the mid rounds to be selecting our first pass rusher in this draft. The depth of this class more so allows us to get ANOTHER edge player with talent and potential later in the draft. Not to start looking later in the draft. Brian Burns, Montez Sweat or Jaylon Ferguson are my number 1 targets if we go else where with our 1st, whether we have to trade back into the 1st to get on of them or not I don’t care but if we miss out on Allen and Bosa I want one of those guys. 

Just saw that Winovich is holding off on a surgery he needs till after the bowl game and possibly the combine so he can participate in both. Don’t remember what the injury was but I’ll take a guy with that kind of passion, dedication and tenacity on my team any day. Injury may even make him available later in the draft than what’s expected as well.

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I agree @Forge. We shouldn’t put it off till the mid rounds to be selecting our first pass rusher in this draft. The depth of this class more so allows us to get ANOTHER edge player with talent and potential later in the draft. Not to start looking later in the draft. Brian Burns, Montez Sweat or Jaylon Ferguson are my number 1 targets if we go else where with our 1st, whether we have to trade back into the 1st to get on of them or not I don’t care but if we miss out on Allen and Bosa I want one of those guys. 

Just saw that Winovich is holding off on a surgery he needs till after the bowl game and possibly the combine so he can participate in both. Don’t remember what the injury was but I’ll take a guy with that kind of passion, dedication and tenacity on my team any day. Injury may even make him available later in the draft than what’s expected as well.

I don't think winovich is a leo at the next level. Doesn't have the length. Someone mentioned it earlier though in the thread, and I could see him be a SAM, so that could be a guy to look at for that position

@757-NINER You aren't taking into account the fact that interior DL is typically one of the harder transitions from college to the NFL. Drafting another DT when the guys we have on our team are still learning and improving would not be a good use of a finite amount of resources. 

We also have kentavious street coming in next year. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think winovich is a leo at the next level. Doesn't have the length. Someone mentioned it earlier though in the thread, and I could see him be a SAM, so that could be a guy to look at for that position

Yeah, I was the one pumping up Chase as a SAM. That or a 3-4 lob. He’s   Just so good against the run and forceful.  If he develops passrush moves, he will be a great SAM

13 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I was the one pumping up Chase as a SAM. That or a 3-4 lob. He’s   Just so good against the run and forceful.  If he develops passrush moves, he will be a great SAM

Winovich would be a sound SAM in my mind as well and with him coming off the field in obvious passing downs or moved to an edge spot to put his hand in the dirt on those downs I think his lack of skill in pass coverage would be diminished greatly. I’m not even sure that pass coverage is something he’s not capable of but with some obvious athletic limitations and little experience in doing so at Michigan I assume it is definitely not a strength. 

10 hours ago, N4L said:

@757-NINER You aren't taking into account the fact that interior DL is typically one of the harder transitions from college to the NFL. Drafting another DT when the guys we have on our team are still learning and improving would not be a good use of a finite amount of resources. 

We also have kentavious street coming in next year. 

The same could be said for any number of positions. Some struggle, some hit the ground running. Most young DTs struggle because of technique. Williams has some pretty sound technique as far as using his hands and how he disengages. He struggles with playing too high but he's more polished than DeFo was as a prospect. Playing for Saban, he definitely has been coach well. And the beauty is he can still improve and get better. 

And Street, besides being nowhere near the talent that Williams is, is coming off a ACL injury. It's always a mixed bag when D-Lineman come back from ACLs....Tank Carradine ring a bell? Street is a virtue unknown and shouldn't stop anyone for drafting arguably the top talent in the entire draft if that's the route they choose to go. 

Archived