2019 Draft Talk

swede700

4 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Just curious as to why you don't think it's a need? Rudolph and Morgan are both in the last year of their deals and Conklin is nothing special. While I definitely see them re upping Morgan, the lack of an extension that would lower this years cap number with Rudy makes me think they will be willing to part ways with him next year unless he take a very team friendly deal. 

Rookie tight ends don't typically have a huge impact on year one but can be a nice compliment. if you are asking a rookie next year to come in an be Tight end 1, you'll probably be disappointed. And this class is pretty deep at tight end. Also Darren Wolfson has reported multiple times that he believes the Vikings will have a new tight end by the end of round 3 on Friday night. 

I think the decision to keep Rudolph kind of cements TE as a non draft need. I don't think they draft one unless they're getting great value. Conklin seems just as viable as most of the mid round options.

I was all for releasing Rudolph and trying to do more along the OL but that never happened, so I think we're stuck with the current TE group one more year.

9 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Im not saying im fully on board with Bradbury at #18 but im warming up to the idea some more. Ive been against it for a while, but im starting to warm up to it. 

BUT... Id still take Williams, Taylor, Dillard, Ford, Wilkins, Sweat, Burns, Gary, Hockenson & Risner over him there. If all those guys are gone, give me Bradbury.

Fixed.  ;)

I'd probably take Bradbury over Williams too though, but it's about 50-50 for me...and only because of the position flexibility that Williams provides.  

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the decision to keep Rudolph kind of cements TE as a non draft need. I don't think they draft one unless they're getting great value. Conklin seems just as viable as most of the mid round options.

I was all for releasing Rudolph and trying to do more along the OL but that never happened, so I think we're stuck with the current TE group one more year.

I still don't think it's a "non" need.  They still haven't extended him for 2 years, which would cement it as a non-need.  I think if a guy like Dawson Knox is still there in the 3rd or 4th round, you take him and let him develop for a year before taking over in 2020.    

I still expect the vikings to handle the TE position the same way as they have in previous years. By drafting a developmental guy in the mid rounds. 

Unless the value is so great, I just don’t see them using a premier pick on a luxury item. 

If the team finds a TE in round 3, or later, then I think we’ll see a extension/restructure with Rudolph. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn't assume the decision has been made to keep Rudolph this year. It seems likely that they will, but if they end up with a TE as a pick high in the draft there is distinct chance that Rudolph ends up being moved or cut before the season depending on how the rookie looks in the preseason. The decision to keep Rudolph so far I do not think applies as a decision to keep him into the season; it is a decision to let him compete through camp at his current contract value. The team is going to need to make a move somewhere to relieve cap space; moving Rudolph is one of the options on the table.

Whether they keep Rudolph for the season, if they don't extend him TE would be a need in free agency next year if they don't draft another TE this year. I think they'll be keeping their eyes open for a TE in the draft. Whether they draft one or not depends on how the board falls.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:25 PM, Counselor said:

Ok Friends I had the Vikings again in a mock (with three other teams, 8gm mock)

I traded down from 18 to 32 for pick 64 (lost a little on the pick chart but wanted to add another pick)

I took Lindstrom at 32

I then traded 50 and 64 to Seattle who had 40 and 84. (Perfect 670 for 670 value)

I also have my Broncos and would have taken Erik McCoy at 41 so I jumped myself to take Erik McCoy for the Vikings 

1.32- Chris Lindstrom

2.40- Erik McCoy

and all of the rest of the original Vikings picks

A little update

Added at

3.81- JJ Arcega-Whiteside (BPA and gives the Vikes a third WR with some talent)

3.84- Khalen Saunders (He has the athleticism to play 3T with NT size, helps fill a need as a rotational guy early on. Big Upside)

22 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

Just curious as to why you don't think it's a need? Rudolph and Morgan are both in the last year of their deals and Conklin is nothing special. While I definitely see them re upping Morgan, the lack of an extension that would lower this years cap number with Rudy makes me think they will be willing to part ways with him next year unless he take a very team friendly deal. 

Rookie tight ends don't typically have a huge impact on year one but can be a nice compliment. if you are asking a rookie next year to come in an be Tight end 1, you'll probably be disappointed. And this class is pretty deep at tight end. Also Darren Wolfson has reported multiple times that he believes the Vikings will have a new tight end by the end of round 3 on Friday night. 

I don't see it as a need because A. if It isn't one of the top 3 in the draft (and again I wouldn't touch any of them at 18 unless the draft just went terribly for us and all the oline and DL worth a first are gone, and they aren't likely there at 50), they aren't likely seeing the field outside of special teams. Last year when they draft "non-immediate Starters" if was declared a huge mistake, but we're ok with it now? B. I haven't fully given up on Conklin. Rookie season wasn't great but you literally just said rookie tight ends struggle   C. I guess not a need is a bit over stating, "Not a major/immediate need" is more appropriate. 

I see Olinex2 (heck maybe even 3), DT, and WR3 as bigger needs without any question in my mind.  Imo a LB with coverage ability and DE of the future type are about on par as far as NEED goes for me with a TE, so it is about 5bish on my need list...chances of 5-6 strong contributors in a single draft is abysmally low.  Therefore I see it as a need that SHOULD get pushed to next offseason.  By the time I'm personally taking a TE, I'm not likely finding a high caliber starter of the future.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, vike daddy said:

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley, on Cody Ford:

“If we had really strongly advised Cody to stay, he would have. But that wasn’t going to be the best thing for Cody. He’s going to be a first-round pick. Every part of it makes sense for him to go ahead and go to the NFL even though it would help our team if he stayed next year. I just try and be brutally honest with them, you can’t bring them in there and tell them what they want to hear or just what you want to tell them. It’s got to be the truth. If you’re truthful and transparent with them their whole way through, you’ll build trust in that relationship and they’ll listen to your opinion. At the end of the day, they’ve got to make the decision. We also use a lot of numbers and research to back up what we’re talking about and, at the end of the day, we want guys to do well.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/17/lincoln-riley-im-brutally-honest-with-players-about-going-pro/

I mean, he's not wrong.  If you're a big guy and you can move your feet, you're going to get drafted high.  There's only so many of them available.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, Counselor said:

A little update

Added at

3.81- JJ Arcega-Whiteside (BPA and gives the Vikes a third WR with some talent)

3.84- Khalen Saunders (He has the athleticism to play 3T with NT size, helps fill a need as a rotational guy early on. Big Upside)

And now added at 4.120 

Josh Oliver TE San Jose State

Zach Allen I have the Vikings getting in the 2nd with the Mock draft I recently did.  Originally had Ferguson there but then things changed around a little bit based on what other teams did.  That would be amazing in the 2nd round if he falls.  Is a 1st round talent all the way and would love him at 50.

Carolina, Washington, Atlanta, Green Bay all could take him before the Vikings but would be great if he fell.  Would be a nice combo with the pass rushing skills of Hunter and is more a run stopper than Griffen is who could be more of a situation pass rusher as he gets older.

As for the 1st round Risner I still think is the play, Ford would be great but could go to Miami, and Dillard and Little are fine players but they are tackles and I feel we need a OG or a OT who can play OG for a little while and Risner is that.  Sure Bradbury is an option also but I still think that is a little reach for him honestly.

Archived