2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Any opinions on Amir Hall?

Sure. 

Super intellectual with the way he plays his game. Hyperaware and keeps his eyes downfield. Decent speed, alright mobility, seems to have great pocket presence. Nice arm strength, seems like he could have NFL average arm strength, potential to get better as he (hopefully) grows. Nice accuracy and when he's in a rhythm, he's deadly. He beat up on a lot of teams.

Now, for the not-as-good. I wouldn't feel confident sticking him behind any offensive lines in the NFL with his frame. Dude could have serious troubles with injuries. He's a good athlete, but I wouldn't call him elite. Still, if he puts on weight and loses a little explosion, I wouldn't mind because he can he a good pocket passer with how cerebral he is. He can get lazy with his mechanics and progressions at times, but that's fixable if he really wants it. Will never be a prototypical QB athletically, but could be above average. My main concerns are size and consistency, but he could be an above average QB if he develops well.

I like him. My cousin said that he's been given a UDFA grade by the Bills. He said that some teams might have given him a 7th, said the Redskins and Bengals might have given him a 6th, but that's only rumor. And in actuality, scouts only give a grade, but the GMs or VPs might give other grades and ultimately set the draft board in coordination with the Head Coach. 

30 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Sure. 

Super intellectual with the way he plays his game. Hyperaware and keeps his eyes downfield. Decent speed, alright mobility, seems to have great pocket presence. Nice arm strength, seems like he could have NFL average arm strength, potential to get better as he (hopefully) grows. Nice accuracy and when he's in a rhythm, he's deadly. He beat up on a lot of teams.

Now, for the not-as-good. I wouldn't feel confident sticking him behind any offensive lines in the NFL with his frame. Dude could have serious troubles with injuries. He's a good athlete, but I wouldn't call him elite. Still, if he puts on weight and loses a little explosion, I wouldn't mind because he can he a good pocket passer with how cerebral he is. He can get lazy with his mechanics and progressions at times, but that's fixable if he really wants it. Will never be a prototypical QB athletically, but could be above average. My main concerns are size and consistency, but he could be an above average QB if he develops well.

I like him. My cousin said that he's been given a UDFA grade by the Bills. He said that some teams might have given him a 7th, said the Redskins and Bengals might have given him a 6th, but that's only rumor. And in actuality, scouts only give a grade, but the GMs or VPs might give other grades and ultimately set the draft board in coordination with the Head Coach. 

Thanks for the insight. I hope he gets at least a tryout somewhere. I think he'll surprise some people. Really good ball placement.

28 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Thanks for the insight. I hope he gets at least a tryout somewhere. I think he'll surprise some people. Really good ball placement.

No problem. A UDFA grade is actually good for these small school guys because that's not the lowest possible grade. Like I said, I really like him and think he'll get to pick his landing spot if he doesn't get drafted. Multiple teams will probably try to nah him after the draft. 

Take the last 10 years' worth of QB draft classes. Where do you put this one?

(a little reminder;

09: Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman

10: Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy

11: Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Dalton, Kaepernik, Taylor, Mallet

12: Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler, Wilson, Foles, Cousins

13: Manuel, G Smith, Glennon, Barkley

14: Bortlez, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo

15: Winston, Mariota, Mannion, Petty, Hundley

16: Goff, Wentz, Prescott, Brisset, Lynch

17: Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson

18: Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson )

I'm really not high on it, but clearly better than some of those (09...brutal, 13 brutal)

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

(a little reminder;

I'm really not high on it, but clearly better than some of those (09...brutal, 13 brutal)

Without the benefit of hindsight:

21 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

(a little reminder;

It's tough to really slot in, not only because it's hard to ignore hindsight...but because i think you kinda have to break the class down between "top end" and "depth" to accurately describe and slot each in.  This class doesn't have the absolute top-end bluechip bundle, but it's flooded with Day2 sort of depth who could legitimately develop into something, and even Day3 depth of guys who could be fantastic backups for a long time.

Thinking about it and looking back at grades, i think it's pretty similar to the '14 class for me though.

-1 solid 1st rounder for me: Haskins/Teddy.

-2 early 2nd types: Lock is incredibly similar to Carr, Jones is a lot like Bortles for me.

-1 later 2nd type in Thorson/Garoppolo.

-And 1 complete wildcard mold-breaker in Kyler/Manziel, though i never really liked Manziel and while i'm not a big Kyler guy...he's got some traits that seem a lot more translatable.

I do like the rest of the depth from this class better though.  '14 had some guys with a bit of upside too, but this year's class could be one that really fuels the backup QB market for a long time, maybe even some fringe starters.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It's tough to really slot in, not only because it's hard to ignore hindsight...but because i think you kinda have to break the class down between "top end" and "depth" to accurately describe and slot each in.  This class doesn't have the absolute top-end bluechip bundle, but it's flooded with Day2 sort of depth who could legitimately develop into something, and even Day3 depth of guys who could be fantastic backups for a long time.

That's all true. Might be an under-radar gem (a bit like Garop) as you say, develop into something that illuminates this class later

On 4/20/2019 at 1:53 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thoughts on Stidham? Being an Auburn fan his inconsistencies drove me nuts and I probably was a bit jaded in my evaluation. Curious to see where he looks to go

War Eagle. I'm an Auburn Fan as well, which is why he's rated much lower for me than a bunch of other people. I was a huge believer heading into this season, thought he could be a top-of-the-first kind of guy, but... He was simply putrid at times. Did he LOOK bad with his throws? No. But he moved like he was injured or something after having tremendous mobility the year before and at Baylor. His throws were on point, and he seemed intelligent, but it was in the same mold of Josh Rosen this past year. He was just slow enough that his offensive line was able to take the blame. The main difference, though, is that Auburn's rushing numbers actually weren't that bad. They had a bunch of weapons emerge like Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz, while the usual suspects like Ryan Davis and Darius Slayton were still there. The playcalling wasn't great, but Stidham really didn't help himself with all the sacks he took. Some were avoidable. He was slow in his process. I don't know. He just didn't get things DONE. 

He has upside, for sure, and he's the type of guy who's lightning with a supporting cast and good blocking, but he won't do enough for himself for me to rate him highly as a prospect. I think he's a high-floor prospect as mid-tier backup who could spot start or even do better for a team like Washington or Dallas who has a mostly established offensive line with several elite blockers. He's a nice manager. My comp for ceiling is Alex Smith. My comp for floor is probably Blaine Gabbert.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:05 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

A LOT of hindsight going on here, especially with the 2009 class.  That was a class a LOT of people liked.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:53 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thoughts on Stidham? Being an Auburn fan his inconsistencies drove me nuts and I probably was a bit jaded in my evaluation. Curious to see where he looks to go

Truthfully, he strikes me as a career backup. I expect a similar career path for him as we've seen out of players like Chase Daniel and Nate Sudfeld.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:53 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I compared him to Blaine Gabbert. He's too easily rattled, doesn't like being hit, and is a bit of a prig in the locker room (from what I've heard).

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A LOT of hindsight going on here, especially with the 2009 class.  That was a class a LOT of people liked.

I did not like it at all.

Heard Wonderlic scores are out. Anyone have a link?

As I said in the other thread, I'm a firm believer scores do matter for QBs. At least if they score 20 or less, they probably won't be very good. There are very, very few exceptions like Dan Marino at 16 but if you look throughout history if you score 20 or less, you're not gonna be that great.

21=25 there are some decent QBs but 26-50 is that golden range. Although I wouldn't put much weight on any number in that range. 26 compared to 48 I wouldn't make any decision based off of that.

Archived