2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

I intend to look at four or five more quarterbacks (Dungey, T. Jackson, Ta'amu, Thorson, Stick) but for now these are my rankings:

1. Kyler Murray, 4JR, Oklahoma - Rounds 1-3

2. Dwayne Haskins, 3SO, Ohio State - Rounds 1-3

3. Will Grier, 5SR, West Virginia - Rounds 2-5

4. Drew Lock, 4SR, Missouri - Rounds 2-5

5. Gardner Minshew, 4SR, Washington State - Rounds 2-5

6. Daniel Jones, 4JR, Duke - Rounds 2-5

7. Jarrett Stidham, 4JR, Auburn - Rounds 2-5

8. Brett Rypien, 4SR, Boise State - Rounds 5-7

9. Ryan Finley, 6SR, N.C. State - Rounds 5-7

10. Jake Browning, 4SR, Washington - UDFA

The difference between how Baker Carrie's himself vs Kyler is like night and day.

Even if he had the prototypical size, I'd bet more likely than not Kyler would bust. When you factor in his size, well, I'd be nervous for any team that may be looking to draft a QB.

On the flip side, maybe he ends up helping that team land Trevor Lawrence. Then it could be worthwhile. 

I know at least a few QBs will be taken in the first round but none of these guys are first round talent type QBs.  I feel bad for teams who are QB needy this year because they will ultimately have to reach for a QB that sets their franchise back a few years.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:25 PM, RuskieTitan said:

The difference between how Baker Carrie's himself vs Kyler is like night and day.

Even if he had the prototypical size, I'd bet more likely than not Kyler would bust. When you factor in his size, well, I'd be nervous for any team that may be looking to draft a QB.

On the flip side, maybe he ends up helping that team land Trevor Lawrence. Then it could be worthwhile. 

One is outspoke, and the other is quiet?  I mean, there's really nothing that justifies that one personality is going to be an issue more than the others.

I finally decided to call it quits on quarterbacks for this year after looking at 14, so here's my final rankings for this year (I'll do actual write-ups if I get to making a big board this year):

1. Kyler Murray, 4JR, Oklahoma - Rounds 1-3 (Starter Potential)

Stats Score: 9.77 - (Stats Score: anything under 5.0 is a red flag, anything above it is okay)

Franchise Quarterback Thresholds Hit: 4 - (Thresholds: the average franchise QB in today's NFL hit 5 of the 6 coming out of college and only one hit less than 4 - they are above-average decision-making, average accuracy, above-average leadership / intangibles, average mobility, above-average pocket awareness, and above-average release quickness / motion)

2. Dwayne Haskins, 3SO, Ohio State - Rounds 1-3

Stats Score: 9.34

Thresholds Hit: 4

3. Will Grier, 5SR, West Virginia - Rounds 2-5 (Likely Limited NFL Ceiling)

Stats Score: 9.09

Thresholds Hit: 3

4. Drew Lock, 4SR, Missouri - Rounds 2-5

Stats Score: 7.95

5. Gardner Minshew, 4SR, Washington State - Rounds 2-5

Stats Score: 7.52

Thresholds Hit: 2

T-6. Daniel Jones, 4JR, Duke - Rounds 2-5

Stats Score: 5.21

T-6. Easton Stick, 4SR, North Dakota State - Rounds 2-5

Stats Score: N/A (Not applicable for FCS prospects)

T-6. Clayton Thorson, 5SR, Northwestern - Rounds 2-5

Stats Score: 3.89 (May be a red flag)

9. Jarrett Stidham, 4JR, Auburn - Rounds 2-5

Stats Score: 7.02

10. Brett Rypien, 4SR, Boise State - Rounds 6-7 (Likely Backup)

Stats Score: 8.08

11. Tyree Jackson, 4JR, Buffalo - Rounds 6-7 

Stats Score: 3.97 (May be a red flag)

Thresholds Hit: 1

T-12. Ryan Finley, 6SR, North Carolina State - Rounds 6-7

Stats Score: 6.79

T-12. Jordan Ta'amu, 4SR, Ole Miss - Rounds 6-7

Stats Score: 7.78

Thresholds Hit: 0

14. Jake Browning, 4SR, Washington - UDFA

Stats Score: 6.36

On 2/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Or because he had one of the worst OL's in CFB last year. Daniel Jones was hit more than any other QB I watched last season. His OL sucks and routinely gave up pressure. Like, unblocked pressures right up the middle. All the time. Their OL was atrocious as were their skill position players. Daniel Jones was a 1-man show and had zero help. His situation was worse than Josh Allen's last year, which is saying something.

Yeah, Daniel Jones is going to be a very good NFL QB imo. Someone will get him late second early third and be pumped 

The tools are all there, he just needs some coaching and a year on the bench 

On 2/14/2019 at 8:50 PM, HoboRocket said:

My guy is Tyree Jackson. Watching extensive tape, he's had a decent chunk of the prettiest throws and most impressive throws out of everyone I've dug into (which is basically everyone besides Gardner Minshew and Easton Stick at this point). When he's on, he's on. The questions are consistency and level of competition, but a lot of the throws are crazy accurate. I was expecting a big guy with a big arm, but he flashes remarkable touch and is way more precise than I anticipated. He's not a runner, either - which, I'll admit, I was half-expecting. Pleasantly surprised, and I'm intrigued enough that I'd spend a late 3 or 4 on him.

Wow. Turns out he CAN be a runner.

Nice to see my boy blowing up the Combine. And receivers' hands.

On 3/4/2019 at 12:13 AM, CWood21 said:

So...the question is if Arizona indeed does take Kyler Murray, who trades up for Haskins?

Nobody! He’s going to fall to the Giants at #6 and we’ll all live happily ever after.

Jacksonville is rumored to be getting Foles. Rosen will probably be traded to another team that needs a quarterback, hopefully Washington.

There are also 5 great defensive linemen in this draft so I think teams in the top 5 will want to stay put

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Nobody! He’s going to fall to the Giants at #6 and we’ll all live happily ever after.

Jacksonville is rumored to be getting Foles. Rosen will probably be traded to another team that needs a quarterback, hopefully Washington.

There are also 5 great defensive linemen in this draft so I think teams in the top 5 will want to stay put

The Jets traded away three 2nd round picks trading up for Darnold last year, one of which was their 2nd round pick in 2019. I assure you they are open for business at 3.

On 3/4/2019 at 12:13 AM, CWood21 said:

So...the question is if Arizona indeed does take Kyler Murray, who trades up for Haskins?

If the Jaguars go with Foles, the favourites would have to be the Giants or Raiders. I'd lean Giants.

Can someone please tell me why Ryan Finley is a projected 4th Round Pick?

Pros:

- Smartest QB in College Football

- Fooball IQ is top notch as well as overall IQ. I expect a solid wonderlic score.

- Pro Style Offense

- Amazing accuracy on all three phases, short, medium, and deep.

- Makes all his progressions and does it at the speed of an NFL QB

- Great release, his release reminds me so much of Tom Brady.

- Throws guys open

- Only throws where his guys can catch it

- Absolutely amazing pocket presence

- Average mobility

- Can read defenses quick, both pre snap, and at the start of a play.

- Makes accurate adjustments at LoS.

- Amazing touch on his passes

Cons:

- Too skinny

- Very average arm strength and can tend to under throw deep balls slightly (but this is greatly over exaggerated. I'd say his arm is stronger than Alex Smith. And I'd at least put his arm on par with Deshaun Watson)

Can't think of anymore cons....

On 3/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, CWood21 said:

I could see Miami pulling the trigger, even if they sign a guy like Teddy Bridgewater. They desperately need a franchise QB especially with the Jets and Bills getting their guys last year. 

On 3/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, CWood21 said:

I honestly want to say nobody...but just about every quarterback who gets taken in the first is done so through a trade up or #1 overall pick. But I'm going to stick with the same team that would draft him if it didn't take a trade up and say it's the giants. I think they really like Haskins (or will like him). 

Archived