Preseason Overreaction Thread

bucsfan333

On August 21, 2017 at 8:31 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yes, he made a few. It doesn't mean it's not a qb friendly offense. It definitely is. He also threw a few near ints and missed a few gimme throws the last couple of weeks. My point is that you take the good with the bad, though with rookies especially people like to talk about the good because well... they're rookies. I remember a few years ago when the Raiders forum was salivating after Carr's preseason game vs the Seahawks despite Carr throwing some bad near INTs and missing throws.

Scramble plays and improvisations usually don't define an offense, unless you're russell wilson or aaron rodgers. For what it's worth, I think Mahomes has some good upside and could be a good player in this league, but I don't think what I've seen so far in any way has definitively proven that YET. Alex Smith is still the best qb for this team... for now.

So you're saying he's gonna have an easier time in the league then other rookies? What a relief!(even though the playbook is more complicated then other teams)

I'm pretty sure Carr is a pretty good QB, I mean I don't watch him all the time....

personally I think he's got that Wilson/Rodgers ability out of the pocket. Mike Vick coached for us and he's saying Mahomes can do things he can only dream of as far as rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

He's obviously not better that Alex yet, but that's a good problem to have. He displays what you like though, understands the offense, coolness under pressure, riflelaser arm strength, manipulating defenses with his eyes(Alex still can't do this) and mostly accurate passes.(the kind only his receiver can catch) I do agree he needs to get those first couple passes under better control though.

i think he's looking like the top rookie QB so far, although I've liked what I've seen of Kizer

On 8/21/2017 at 10:31 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yes, he made a few. It doesn't mean it's not a qb friendly offense. It definitely is. He also threw a few near ints and missed a few gimme throws the last couple of weeks. My point is that you take the good with the bad, though with rookies especially people like to talk about the good because well... they're rookies. I remember a few years ago when the Raiders forum was salivating after Carr's preseason game vs the Seahawks despite Carr throwing some bad near INTs and missing throws.

Scramble plays and improvisations usually don't define an offense, unless you're russell wilson or aaron rodgers. For what it's worth, I think Mahomes has some good upside and could be a good player in this league, but I don't think what I've seen so far in any way has definitively proven that YET. Alex Smith is still the best qb for this team... for now.

Examples? He threw one near INT on a late pass short outside, that I think everyone recognized and acknowledged.

He had 4 incompletions against Cincinatti. The aforementioned near INT. A deep comeback on the left that was well-thrown, but well-defended. And two throwaways under pressure. He has two incompletions against San Francisco. An overthrow on a pass to the end zone (this one would've been very tough to complete) and a pass wide to the left to a WR on an inside curl (this one he should have hit, even given that he was on the run.) He has 6 total incompletions, and you're saying he's thrown a few near INTs AND missed a few gimmes. That would require every incompletion he's thrown to just be a bad pass. And that is absolutely not the case. He's thrown 1 near INT, and 1 inaccurate pass, thus far.

If your argument were, hey, it's the preseason, it's too early, I'm down with that. But you don't need to make false statements about his performance thus far.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Examples? He threw one near INT on a late pass short outside, that I think everyone recognized and acknowledged.

He had 4 incompletions against Cincinatti. The aforementioned near INT. A deep comeback on the left that was well-thrown, but well-defended. And two throwaways under pressure. He has two incompletions against San Francisco. An overthrow on a pass to the end zone (this one would've been very tough to complete) and a pass wide to the left to a WR on an inside curl (this one he should have hit, even given that he was on the run.) He has 6 total incompletions, and you're saying he's thrown a few near INTs AND missed a few gimmes. That would require every incompletion he's thrown to just be a bad pass. And that is absolutely not the case. He's thrown 1 near INT, and 1 inaccurate pass, thus far.

If your argument were, hey, it's the preseason, it's too early, I'm down with that. But you don't need to make false statements about his performance thus far.

I actually just wrote a long post about this, but it just deleted when my browser closed ¬¬ . I was probably being a little  harsh was the point, but my bigger point was that the offense is still so qb friendly in terms of screens that it's hard to really see enough to make me excited about mahomes. If the sample size was a lot larger, then I would say, ok this kid can really play. But right now, people needa take a chill pill. Not you guys though, you're alright.

The Carr analogy in the previous post @Chiefer was because Carr looked really good in preseason his rookie year, didn't look great as a rookie, but turned out good. Point being, Mahomes might play lights out the rest of PS, then have some rough/bad games if he gets rookie starts, but should still turn out alright. At this point, I'm still more on my predraft eval than preseason due to lack of snaps.

TLDR: It's still presason.

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

@MrOaktown_56 it is the preseason overreaction thread. I think I'm entitled to be excited. 

No rookie QB has looked this good  in KC since...

I've got nothing. 

This is a very good question.  The closest I can come up with was Brodie Croyle.  He didn'' have the draft status of Mahomes, but I thought at the time he was viewed as the heir apparent to Trent Green.  Other then Brodie and even that is a stretch, very slim pickings.  

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Pat Mahomes will definitely be a problem for us Raider fans for years to come.

I didnt even enjoy draft night because the Chiefs got him.  

I'm the opposite. I was glad and thought they reached on a far fetched product. But thus far he looks far better than I imagined he would, stepping right up in his first rookie looks. 

I wasnt a big fan of Mahomes coming out, but he went to the perfect situation he needed to go to.....good team where he wont be pressured to be the savior.     Wouldnt be as optimistic about his future if a team like the Jets had drafted him.    Get him a good WR and keep that defense in tact, and he could be ready to take over come 2018.  

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wasnt a big fan of Mahomes coming out, but he went to the perfect situation he needed to go to.....good team where he wont be pressured to be the savior.     Wouldnt be as optimistic about his future if a team like the Jets had drafted him.    Get him a good WR and keep that defense in tact, and he could be ready to take over come 2018.  

Exactly this. I believe in the long run, especially considering his current spot being able to sit behind a veteran, will be the best QB out of this draft. He's a smart kid with good to great accuracy. 

Archived