Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is he a free agent after this season, or do the Rams have the ability to pick up his 5th year option even though the Bills declined it?

Hmm. Good question. I'd think that once the Bills make a decision, it's final.

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I don't think so. I think they can tag him though.

@EliteTexan80

To me that's a pretty big deal. Sammy Watkins is really talented, but you're giving up a 2nd rounder for just 1 season and then after that the only leverage you have is paying him like he's one of the best WR in the NFL. If they were able to get that 5th year option to give themselves 2 discounted seasons, that would make a lot more sense.

10 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:
21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Is he a free agent after this season, or do the Rams have the ability to pick up his 5th year option even though the Bills declined it?

Hmm. Good question. I'd think that once the Bills make a decision, it's final.

Since the Bills already declined the option, the Rams can not accept it. He will be a free agent after this season if they dont agree on a long-term deal. They can tag him as well. 

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@EliteTexan80

To me that's a pretty big deal. Sammy Watkins is really talented, but you're giving up a 2nd rounder for just 1 season and then after that the only leverage you have is paying him like he's one of the best WR in the NFL. If they were able to get that 5th year option to give themselves 2 discounted seasons, that would make a lot more sense.

My question is - DO you have to pay him that sort of money, given a full 16 would be his first full 16?

I can see a double down on a one year "prove it" deal next year if he plays well. Risk is someone coming over the top following one season with a big money deal.

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

My question is - DO you have to pay him that sort of money, given a full 16 would be his first full 16?

I can see a double down on a one year "prove it" deal next year if he plays well. Risk is someone coming over the top following one season with a big money deal.

If he plays well for a full season, he's basically an unrestricted free agent unless he plays out of his skull and makes it worth the Rams' while to tag him. At 25, that's not the kind of guy who gets a 1 year prove it deal. He'd cash in.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If he plays well for a full season, he's basically an unrestricted free agent unless he plays out of his skull and makes it worth the Rams' while to tag him. At 25, that's not the kind of guy who gets a 1 year prove it deal. He'd cash in.

I dunno, given that injury history. It's scary to push all in on a guy who has shown no ability to stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

For the record he started all 16 his rookie year. Last two years he's had the same foot injury though and missed 11 games.

Archived