Steelers VS Giants Preseason Week 1

bigben07MVP

Watt was real good.  Dobbs looked really bad to start and had ints on consecutive passes but afterwards looked a little better.

His first deep connection to Hamilton was really beautiful, his long TD pass was good too.  Dobbs had rough moments but he looks like he has a lot more potential and better mechanics to work with than probably any other young backup we've had in awhile.

1 hour ago, Bobikus said:

Watt was real good.  Dobbs looked really bad to start and had ints on consecutive passes but afterwards looked a little better.

His first deep connection to Hamilton was really beautiful, his long TD pass was good too.  Dobbs had rough moments but he looks like he has a lot more potential and better mechanics to work with than probably any other young backup we've had in awhile.

Don't know either team's depth chart, but also looked like Dobbs was playing with a lot of your 2s and the Giants D was playing a lot of their 1s the first couple drives. Minus Vernon and JPP. Looked like he got a bit more comfortable once he started using his legs more. 

10 hours ago, Webmaster said:

Glad someone finally put up a GameDay topic in here.   Where are the Steeler fans at? @JDLefebvre, @steelcurtain29, @stillersenat, @1BackInBlackFan, @FourThreeMafia, @KJtheWicked, @JLambert58, @TXsteeler, @MOSteelers56, @Chieferific

Get in here and discuss the game tonight.  Football is here.  LETS GO!  We need to get the activity going again in the Steelers forum.

My apologies. I have been busy these past few days with work, then didn't even have time to myself today on my day off. :(

Hard not to like watt you saw from Watt. The effort.

Saw kind of what I expected from Kniles Davis which doesn't make me comfortable at all with him running as much of an effective backup. I know NYG's run defense is stout but Davis is kind of like that CJ Spiller type runner. ehh. Hopefully he can hit some home-runs for us in the return game and perhaps in some passing route mismatches vs LBs. 

I kind of thought they handcuffed Dobbs quite a bit early with being so "safe" with the play calling. Sometimes you gotta just let it rip, kid was probably so pumped and all they were giving him were essentially screen plays and short hitches. Not very inspiring. Hopefully all involved will be more comfortable next week and push the field some more. 

I didnt review the game but I didnt get to see much of Ethan Cooper. 

2 hours ago, Bobikus said:

I can't disagree with you there but it isn't saying much. This game was a perfect representation of Dobbs' Tennessee career. Some good. Some bad. Hopefully a little more seasoning will sway that pendulum to the good side more consistently.  

I didn't get a chance to watch this one. Are there any highlights out there I can check out? I watched Watt's sacks and was pretty impressed. The sacks themselves weren't all that impressive but his explosion and power were. He's bigger than I expected as well. Watt certainly doesn't look lost out there. 

Anybody else see Tomlin's quote about Moats? "He's an 11th grader playing JV." Really looked to be the case. He was going against future shelf stockers and car salesmen but he did was he was expected. He dominated. I think he's starting to distance himself from Keion Adams. I hope we can find a way to keep both around, as I think Adams has a shot at being a special player.

On Watt's first sack you see the difference on Moats.  Watt challenges the tackle and pushes back containing the QB.  Moats takes a long looping path round that would have gotten him to the QB 5 seconds after the snap.  I do not think Moats could challenge a tackle like Watt.

On Watt's 1st sack it was Hargrave that flushes him but Watt is there to get him when he steps up. 

Too many missing players to get a good idea.  We need to see Sutton and Golson in a game.  Hunter didn't play.  It will be harder on him now that the Alien is back.

Just saw a good article on the depot about Butler not playing vanilla defense in the opener. I think that's pretty smart. We're going to have some major changes on our defenses and we'll need about all the practice at it we can get.I'm expecting as many changes as we've had in the last 15 years on the defense. 

It's funny, I watched TJ Watt a LOT this year at Wisconsin, but I couldn't believe how big he looked out there last night.  I'm looking at it and trying to figure out who the big white guy DE wearing #90 was.  Then I realized it was TJ Watt, the linebacker (I just wasn't thinking, I even knew he was #90 since I've been thinking about buying his jersey).  He's huge.  I don't know if it was the different uniform or if he added muscle, but wow he looked much larger than I thought he was, and I've seen him play extensively.  

But as for his play, I thought he looked like he needed more work on his pass rush than I expected.  He seemed to dip better and get around the edge better in college.  More of a rip move that I didn't see last night.  Last night he had 2 sacks, but one was a good play in pushing the LT back while (I thought it was 97 - Heyward, not 79 - Hargrave as 2 people in this thread said) the DL (one of those 2) destroyed the pocket.  The other he was unblocked but he still changed direction and pursued well to finish the play.  He did look like he was able to play well in coverage too.  He was covering WRs in the slot sometimes.  He has a great motor and is smart.  Personally, I'd love to see him at ILB with Shazier and Sam Hubbard at OLB opposite Dupree next year.  We'll see how his pass rush develops though.  He's not going to be a sack master at OLB though I think.  Just a good all-around player that can do it all.  

Dobbs looked horrible.  It was like watching Landry Jones again at times with the picks.  He's supposed to be really smart though, so lets hope he can develop.  It was a bad comparison though, because he was missing 2 of his 5 starting OL, and he didn't have any starting quality RBs or WRs in there, going against a good Giant's #1 defense.  

#40 showed up.  Never heard of him until the game, but he looked feisty and tenacious and alert.  He's tiny, but only 23 and maybe he has upside.  The measurables are sorely lacking.  http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=123476&draftyear=2016&genpos=CB

The worst player though, wasn't Dobbs.  It was that scrub WR.  Canaan Severin.  I'd cut him today.  He's worthless.  

For the record, I was right.  It was 97, Heyward, that blew up the play where TJ got his first sack.  It was 79, Hargave, that got some push during Watt's 2nd sack, but it had nothing to do with it since TJ was not blocked at all.  They just showed the highlights of that during the track world championships.  

We really have one hell of a defensive line.  It's the strongest part of the entire team in my book.  It's pretty hard to compete with a healthy Heyward, Hargrave and Tuitt.  Now you add Dupree and Watt to the edge adding to some pass rush, with Shazier's speed and those young DBs, and the D could be very good this year.  Shazier and the rest staying healthy is key.  One ILB position, Watt's readiness and the young DBs' progression from last year are the question marks.  We all know what the O is when healthy and not suspended.  #1.  I think the D was #10 in scoring last year, and if healthy I could see that up around the top 5.  

Archived