Todd Gurley re-signs with Rams 4 years 60 mil with 45 mil grt

49erurtaza

I like it for Gurley, gives him some guarantees just in case an injury happens in the next year or two.  I’m assuming his $2 mil salary this year gets rolled into the deal making it a 5yr $62 mil deal overall.  $12 mil a year isn’t ridiculous for him(although I don’t love it for the RB position).  The Rams had to keep him and it’s just easier to get it done now instead of waiting.  If he is an all pro back this year it may have been more difficult to sign him after the season.

This was always going to happen. FO have been exploiting and abusing the RB position both on the field and in contracts for 2 decades plus now.

It was just a matter of time before this current group of Studs, reset the Payscale for the RB position. Good for Gurley and every RB contract in the coming years. It was the only position in the NFL that didn't increase with the ever growing cap.

God help the Cowboys, Cardinals ,Steelers, Jags and Giants (3/4 years) moving forward. Have fun paying the piper and a FQBOTF!!

5 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Objectively, I think that this is the smartest move by LA.

Im a big fan of teams extending their own guys early, because as the Eagles have done basically since I remember (both Banner and Roseman eras, the Chip era doesnt count as an era so much as just a giant bucket of poop that we are pretending isnt in the corner).

So! Extending your best and most important offensive player when two years before he hits FA is a great move.

And, although I really dont think we are going to see any other RB besides Zeke get paid this kind of money, you could argue that its wiser to extend him before those guys get paid....

Heres my issue though....and its something that I feel is being way overlooked...which is that the Rams FO, however amazing and just downright the GOAT FO they might be, is making these decisions (cap and personnel) without any regards as to how it is going to affect your locker room/players. They let Ogletree, Quinn, and Johnson go, all of whom were longtime Rams and a couple of them were supposedly beloved by their teammates. Im not saying that the talent they brought in to replace them isnt better....well yes I am in regards to Quinn and Ogletree, since pass rusher and LB are two glaring weaknesses on the team. But Im saying that you are showing your players that you're not afraid to trade anyone or to let someone walk by treating it strictly as business. Yes I know guys, it is a business. But after watching the Eagles this last season and all the things we did in the FO that helped lead to this SB win, I am a firm believer that its nearly impossible to win in the NFL if you have internal turmoil within the lockerroom. 

How do we know Peters isnt mad right now? He just saw Cooks and Gurley both get paid big time, and he himself is up for a extension basically whenever possible for him. And he also happens to he a top 3 player at a premium position, whereas RB and WR are not premium positions( though I love Gurley). Same with Joyner on some level. He isnt staying after this year. And Ive seen the Hard Knocks...if he is unhappy then he will act out and threaten to sit out or whatever if he gets upset. 

Then there's Donald. And look, before you even say it @stl4life07 , I dont care if you "guarantee it will get done", but literally your team is handing out league high contracts to a RB (which isnt a bad decision in a vacuum with Gurley) and to a WR that has never even played a snap for your team. Meanwhile, Donald is seeing all this happen. How do we know he isnt going to feel slighted by not being LA's top priority? Because Im sorry, but if he is , then handing out 16 million a year to Brandin Cooks actually does the opposite of reflect that. I just dont see Donald and LA coming to a contract agreement this year, and that is just bad for LA. Idc about how they can franchise tag him. Its widely known that players DESPISE the tag. So how will the best defensive player in the NFL feel about being tagged?

All this does is add more possible concerns to an already volatile looking locker room. I mean, Im not at all like saying this negatively, but thinking about Brandin Cooks, LaMarcus Joyner, Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Ndamokung Suh, etc all in the lockerroom together makes me laugh out loud. Like, talk about just some absolutely ridiculous personalities in there and then mix in Jared Goff , who is as inspiring as a leader/franchise QB as my sisters ferret would be. 

This season for LA is going to be a rollercoaster IMO. Theyre maybe the only team I can think of who has one of the highest odds to win a SB while also having similar odds of going like 7-9 and having an internal implosion, ignited by like LaMarcus Joyner who is angry about his contract or lackthereof and starts to spread that negativity like a wildfire....while Jared freaking Goff just rally this eclectic group of personalities and vets/young guys.

Really, I just dont believe one bit that Aaron Donald is all hunky dory and isnt at all angered and hurt by his teams recent moves.

Based on what?  Nothing more than your own feelings?

Even after this deal and Cooks', the Rams are sitting in the high $50m's under next year's cap.  The money for Donald's extension has been budgeted this whole time.  Your post here is so loaded with hyperbole it's hard to take it seriously.  Cooks got a "league high" contract?  Try 3rd-highest and that's before Julio and OBJ sign extensions.  Lamarcus Joyner is "angry."  Please, feel free to cite a source on that if you're going to make a claim.

Seriously, dude, this post reeks of desperation to tear down a team that might actually present a challenge for the conference to the team you root for.  Reeks to high hell.

8 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Objectively, I think that this is the smartest move by LA.

Im a big fan of teams extending their own guys early, because as the Eagles have done basically since I remember (both Banner and Roseman eras, the Chip era doesnt count as an era so much as just a giant bucket of poop that we are pretending isnt in the corner).

So! Extending your best and most important offensive player when two years before he hits FA is a great move.

And, although I really dont think we are going to see any other RB besides Zeke get paid this kind of money, you could argue that its wiser to extend him before those guys get paid....

Heres my issue though....and its something that I feel is being way overlooked...which is that the Rams FO, however amazing and just downright the GOAT FO they might be, is making these decisions (cap and personnel) without any regards as to how it is going to affect your locker room/players. They let Ogletree, Quinn, and Johnson go, all of whom were longtime Rams and a couple of them were supposedly beloved by their teammates. Im not saying that the talent they brought in to replace them isnt better....well yes I am in regards to Quinn and Ogletree, since pass rusher and LB are two glaring weaknesses on the team. But Im saying that you are showing your players that you're not afraid to trade anyone or to let someone walk by treating it strictly as business. Yes I know guys, it is a business. But after watching the Eagles this last season and all the things we did in the FO that helped lead to this SB win, I am a firm believer that its nearly impossible to win in the NFL if you have internal turmoil within the lockerroom. 

How do we know Peters isnt mad right now? He just saw Cooks and Gurley both get paid big time, and he himself is up for a extension basically whenever possible for him. And he also happens to he a top 3 player at a premium position, whereas RB and WR are not premium positions( though I love Gurley). Same with Joyner on some level. He isnt staying after this year. And Ive seen the Hard Knocks...if he is unhappy then he will act out and threaten to sit out or whatever if he gets upset. 

Then there's Donald. And look, before you even say it @stl4life07 , I dont care if you "guarantee it will get done", but literally your team is handing out league high contracts to a RB (which isnt a bad decision in a vacuum with Gurley) and to a WR that has never even played a snap for your team. Meanwhile, Donald is seeing all this happen. How do we know he isnt going to feel slighted by not being LA's top priority? Because Im sorry, but if he is , then handing out 16 million a year to Brandin Cooks actually does the opposite of reflect that. I just dont see Donald and LA coming to a contract agreement this year, and that is just bad for LA. Idc about how they can franchise tag him. Its widely known that players DESPISE the tag. So how will the best defensive player in the NFL feel about being tagged?

All this does is add more possible concerns to an already volatile looking locker room. I mean, Im not at all like saying this negatively, but thinking about Brandin Cooks, LaMarcus Joyner, Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Ndamokung Suh, etc all in the lockerroom together makes me laugh out loud. Like, talk about just some absolutely ridiculous personalities in there and then mix in Jared Goff , who is as inspiring as a leader/franchise QB as my sisters ferret would be. 

This season for LA is going to be a rollercoaster IMO. Theyre maybe the only team I can think of who has one of the highest odds to win a SB while also having similar odds of going like 7-9 and having an internal implosion, ignited by like LaMarcus Joyner who is angry about his contract or lackthereof and starts to spread that negativity like a wildfire....while Jared freaking Goff just rally this eclectic group of personalities and vets/young guys.

Really, I just dont believe one bit that Aaron Donald is all hunky dory and isnt at all angered and hurt by his teams recent moves.

What you are saying is just speculations. We dont truly know how Donald feels. My guess is he knows he will get paid and is going about his business. Its easier to give Gurley and Cooks their money right now. Why? Because Donald will more than likely get a contract worth 100+mil. Thats like QB money. Its tougher to get a deal of that caliber even to a QB done quickly let alone a DT. I understand Donald is the best DT and possibly defensive player in the league. Like if it was easy to get a deal of 100+mil contract done quickly, then ARod would have a deal done already, it wouldnt have taken a year before the Falcons extended Ryan either. It just takes time but the Rams are going to extend Donald. I think people in general are making this a bigger deal than what it really is. 

As for Peters, again its speculation. Like how do you know he is even thinking about an extension. To me he seems like the type of guy that just wants to prove it this year. He is on a new team, where people are saying bad things about his character. His personality to me isnt mad because other people got paid. He wants to focus on himself and trying to ball on the field and prove everyone wrong about people saying bad things about him and when the time comes for him to get paid, then he will think about it. So again its just speculation.

As for the locker room, again I think its being blown way out of context. I noticed not once did you mention how Joyner is a leader on the field. It was overshadowed because of Johnson, Tree, and Quinn. I noticed you didnt mention how players respect and gravity towards McVay as a leader of men. Like I feel like its the twilight zone. Last offseason at this time people was saying, they have doubts that McVay can lead guys that he is about the same age as. People were saying track record doesnt look good for the youngest coaches becoming head coaches. McVay is cut from a different cloth. He is a leader of men and I am stacking my claim that I'll be damn if McVay or Wade let the locker room fall to pieces. Like its easy for the locker room to fall apart with a joke of a coach like Fisher. Fisher had tons and tons of coaching experience and the Rams locker room was falling apart in 2016. McVay isnt a joke. Washington respected him and when he left everyone in that organization and the fans hated it. So you mention the locker room as if its a bunch of players that have no leader. Again I didnt even talk about Wade who is key to getting Talib, Peters, and Suh. He has a long history of coaching players of all caliber. Players of the past and present respect him. Like seriously think about it. You mentioned it about Peters wanting to get paid. You think if he starts to act out that the first thing that is going to be said is that if he couldnt behave under Wade Phillips, one of the most well-respected guys in NFL history, then he cant behave anywhere. Like that is literally career suicide. So Peters is going to be on his best behavior. Wade knows Talib. He knows what buttons to push with Talib, plus Talib understands he is closer to retirement. He even said he wants to go somewhere to be comfortable where he can finish his career out. It was either NE with Belichick or LAR with Wade. So I guess the narrative with him wouldve been had he gone to NE the personalities wouldnt have been a big deal. Like I dont understand. Suh is trying to get his career back on track. You do realize he got cut? Like he wants to prove he still can be a dominant force and playing next to Donald is the measuring stick and motivation for Suh to have his best season of his career so in 2019 he can hit the market and some team and give him his last big contract and feel good about it. Come think about it, I dont think its a stretch to think Peters, Suh, and Cooks could all have the best seasons of their careers considering the circumstances. Thats what makes this upcoming season for the Rams the most exciting season at least for me ever. I cant wait lol.

8 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

This was always going to happen. FO have been exploiting and abusing the RB position both on the field and in contracts for 2 decades plus now.

It was just a matter of time before this current group of Studs, reset the Payscale for the RB position. Good for Gurley and every RB contract in the coming years. It was the only position in the NFL that didn't increase with the ever growing cap.

God help the Cowboys, Cardinals ,Steelers, Jags and Giants (3/4 years) moving forward. Have fun paying the piper and a FQBOTF!!

Awww you think we have a franchise QB to pay at some point? That's so sweet of you

11 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea if anything the Steelers aren't happy

Thats alot of money but given that Goff isn't getting paid much at all this is good timing for structuring. Cooks getting 16 is bonkers though 

Cooks isn't necessarily getting that. It's more like a 3 year deal where if he performs we keep him on the cheap thereafter.

10 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

maybe next year he'll be happy... I'm talking about right now.

this doesn't change anything about how I feel regarding paying running backs huge money. and I don't trust Le'Veon Bell one bit once he gets paid.

I'm not arguing your point on paying Bell, I just know his worth is set. That's the same reason Donald and Mack haven't been signed. Both are waiting for the other to sign first so the next person will sign for more. That's all I was pointing out.

Rams have been dishing money out in a stupid order IMO. I have no doubts Donald and Goff get done, but beyond that I doubt there's much room for anything else in this range. If Goff is a top 5 QB in the league in a year or two there's no sense blowing all this cash at the skills slot.

They don't have a single OL starter under contract after next season. Their EDGE rushers are bottom quarter in the league and their entire secondary needs to be paid too. No way I'm paying both Cooks and Gurley. One was walking for sure.

They're building another Atlanta. They'll be a good team, I would rather have seen them invest in defense and the OL. 

13 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

You are jumping the gun a bit. The Rams aren’t planning to let Goff walk. The Rams are great at structuring contracts and managing the cap. I don’t see how what they are doing any different from what Atlanta is doing and has done since Dimitroff took over. I mention Atlanta because Snead was in Atlanta with Dimitroff before he got hired in 2012 to take over the GM spot. During his time in Atlanta he saw them trade up to get Julio when they already had a young White. They drafted Ryan, signed Turner, then signed Gonzalez. That was all on the offensive side of the ball. So what I’m saying is Snead learned from one of the best. Then again the Rams have guys like Demoff who knows how to work the cap well. So Snead and McVay bring in the talent via draft, trade, or free agent signing then Demoff structures the contract in a way that helps the cap. I think the Rams organization knows what it’s doing and quite frankly this offseason is an extension of last offseason and the brilliance of it. But everyone can’t understand that because even last offseason people was bashing the Rams for the contract they gave Woods. Now looking back at it, I don’t see people bash it anymore. It was a good deal and Woods is certainly so far looking like one of the better signings of last offseason. 

Woods was one of the best signings of last year, hands down. He has no guaranteed money after this year....getting 5 mil next year and 6 mil the following. Such a steal.

21 minutes ago, LARams91 said:

Woods was one of the best signings of last year, hands down. He has no guaranteed money after this year....getting 5 mil next year and 6 mil the following. Such a steal.

I agree. I was listening to "Good Morning Football" and Peter Schrager talk about the way the Rams structure their contracts is front loading then the last 2-3 years of the deal they are paying the player not much. That way when that time comes they will have a ton of flexibility. The Rams have a plan and instead of them waiting for the market to be set when either the Steelers or some desperate team looking at him on the market in 2019 give him a blank check and now Gurley is going to want the same. The Rams went ahead and gave Gurley money now so when Bell gets his big payday, Gurley deal will look cheap compared to Bell's contract, followed by DJ contract, then Zeke contract. Its a brilliant move by the Rams.  

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

Based on what?  Nothing more than your own feelings?

Even after this deal and Cooks', the Rams are sitting in the high $50m's under next year's cap.  The money for Donald's extension has been budgeted this whole time.  Your post here is so loaded with hyperbole it's hard to take it seriously.  Cooks got a "league high" contract?  Try 3rd-highest and that's before Julio and OBJ sign extensions.  Lamarcus Joyner is "angry."  Please, feel free to cite a source on that if you're going to make a claim.

Seriously, dude, this post reeks of desperation to tear down a team that might actually present a challenge for the conference to the team you root for.  Reeks to high hell.

Not to mention that Lamarcus didn’t even want money. Lol he just wanted to play. And he’s doing that In Wades system lolol. Dude literally said y’all can have that money. 

Archived