CLEVELAND BROWNS HARD KNOCKS??!!??

brownie man

Will this be the best Hard Knocks yet?!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Best yet?

• Yes
    • No

I didn't much care for the Landry speech but the coaching staff bits were really fascinating to me. The feeling that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he's lost control of things is so palpable. But then they're showing him sobbing in his office. so heartbreaking, they truly are a factory of sadness

I don’t like Hue as a coach, but I felt pretty awful for him.  He is in a tough situation trying to make things better in Cle while also dealing with two deaths in his family.  The episode wasn’t great, but there is enough there to keep it interesting.

Favorite part was just seeing the dynamic between Hue and his assistant coaches where he let them air their grievances but made it clear he was in charge, don't think we really have seen  that addressed in previous hard knocks. Either producers just didn't find it interesting, or it's not something that has been explicitly addressed in previous HCs.

I'll be looking to Todd Haley for some good television in the coming weeks, perhaps some clashes with Hue.

I know it’s very trendy to hate on Hard Knocks (even though the series consistently gets bafflingly good ratings), but I personally have always loved the series and this season is no exception.  HBO does a nice job of creating a compelling and coherent narrative out of hours of routine practice footage and meetings/interviews.  

I’ve been really hyped to get an inside look at the Browns organization to maybe get a better perspective on just why they are so consistently bad.  It’s interesting to see the dissension among the high profile assistants Cleveland brought in to change the culture of the team, and how they are being so aggressively dismissed by Jackson in a bizarre display of insecure “alpha” bravado.  I am also compelled by the Baker Mayfield saga, his relationship to the established vet (Tyrod Taylor), and Jackson’s attempts to instill a sense of competition in Baker to outdo Taylor in effort and dedication.  The Antonio Callaway incident and its aftermath was very intriguing as was the Jarvis Landry speech (which neatly dovetailed with the points made by Haley, which Jackson seems opposed to).  

Two episodes in and I am hooked on this season of Hard Knocks and cant wait til Tuesday for the next one.  It will be interesting to see how Baker progresses and how Jackson will handle the QB situation as training camp winds down.  I’d give this season a solid 9/10 so far...

I'll preface this by saying I want Cleveland to do well, and join my team as the perennial AFC heavyweights, but;

They are doomed, again, IMO.

It's so clear that there is no culture or leadership. Hue is as inspiring as a damp rag. Why did a WR have to get up and talk like that? Where is the HC in that situation? Why are all the players just ambling around? How is it a second year player feels empowered to storm into the HC office and demand stuff? I can only spot one leader on D in Kirksey. Collins and Schobert are far too quiet, Garrett is quiet, Nassib has a voice but he's not good enough to get near the starters.

Hue is too friendly with the players. He's a people pleaser. When he politely and jokingly nudged Baker and asked what time he got up and why he weren't out with Taylor....I think BB would sit his a down for the 3rd degree grilling, or make him sit the entire pre-season or something.

I'm not saying you can judge the upcoming season off a TV show, of course not, but it IS highlighting certain key elements that are lacking over there. 

Discipline is a huge one. If you're smashing into the QB at practice, what are you going to do in a game? You're going to give personal fouls away. Assistant coaches squabbling (I know they're both firey), and you're going to add Dez into all that are you?

But yeah, loving the show. Needs more Schobert though. 

13 minutes ago, brownie man said:

anybody have thoughts on today's episode?

I thought it was great, loved every second 

HBO doesnt put these on demand until Wednesday so I haven't been able to watch yet.  Looking forward to the backstory on the Dez visit though.  Clearly he didnt wow them.  Also looking forward to getting more info on Josh Gordon.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:39 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

I'll preface this by saying I want Cleveland to do well, and join my team as the perennial AFC heavyweights, but;

They are doomed, again, IMO.

It's so clear that there is no culture or leadership. Hue is as inspiring as a damp rag. Why did a WR have to get up and talk like that? Where is the HC in that situation? Why are all the players just ambling around? How is it a second year player feels empowered to storm into the HC office and demand stuff? I can only spot one leader on D in Kirksey. Collins and Schobert are far too quiet, Garrett is quiet, Nassib has a voice but he's not good enough to get near the starters.

Hue is too friendly with the players. He's a people pleaser. When he politely and jokingly nudged Baker and asked what time he got up and why he weren't out with Taylor....I think BB would sit his a down for the 3rd degree grilling, or make him sit the entire pre-season or something.

I'm not saying you can judge the upcoming season off a TV show, of course not, but it IS highlighting certain key elements that are lacking over there. 

Discipline is a huge one. If you're smashing into the QB at practice, what are you going to do in a game? You're going to give personal fouls away. Assistant coaches squabbling (I know they're both firey), and you're going to add Dez into all that are you?

But yeah, loving the show. Needs more Schobert though. 

Agree with all of this. It's painfully obvious Haley is angling to take the HC job in season. He and most the rest of the coaching staff appear to have little respect for Hue as the HC. The players are not buying in. As you said, they are just ambling around with no sense of urgency. Which really is eye opening when you watch Hue straight faced tell Dez Bryant this team is going to have a big turnaround starting against the Steelers week 1. Hard to swallow anything that man is selling

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

It's crazy how through 3 episodes, I don't remember seeing anything about the other top 5 rookie draft pick on the team(Denzel Ward).

From what I've seen in interviews and press conferences, Denzel seems like a pretty soft spoken, mild mannered dude. So he's probably not great for TV. From all accounts he's had a pretty good camp, though.

Archived