CW21's 2019 NFL Draft Thread (Bring On Questions)

CWood21

On 1/21/2019 at 3:48 PM, BleedTheClock said:

What do you think about Joe Johnson, DE from Miami? And Diontae Thompson from Toledo? Those two guys are studs and nobody ever talks about them.

I'm assuming you're referring to Joe Jackson?  He's a solid EDGE prospect, but not sure there's much in the way of upside.  He's not particularly twitchy by most standards, and his pad level is inconsistent at best.  I believe when he came to Miami he was lighter and more explosive, so he'll need to find that happy medium between being too heavy or too light. LIS, I don't think there's a whole lot of upside here but he should be a solid rotational EDGE in his career.  Is Diontae Thompson supposed to mean Dieonte Thompson from Alabama?

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Oliver is probably the best interior pass rusher of the bunch, but he's going to give up more in the run game. 

I believe it's actually the opposite 

his film and stats show hes had more success again the run and has to develop as a finisher as a pass rusher 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:31 PM, The LBC said:

You know I have to ask this - if for no other reason than to give you stick for a prospect you loved who crashed like the Hindenburg - but with the hindsight you have now, how do you compare those Haskins through Lock tiers to Jake Locker... and what do you think that says about how much of a factor intangibles maybe ought to be?

Not trying to bust your balls, but you've got at least one, possibly two guys in there that you can certain make the case that intangibles may make up some of the slack created by lack of other prototypical traits.  Mostly just trying to spur convo.

I would say I definitely learned from the Locker mistake.  Probably one of the reasons why I absolutely hated Josh Allen last year.  I mean, how many QBs who didn't have 60%+ completion percentage in college end up having it in the NFL?  If you're not accurate in college, you're probably not going to be accurate in the NFL.  But there really isn't a whole lot of similarities other than they both played for P5 conferences.  I think that's the extent of the similarities.  But as far as intangibles, everything we get is second hand so you're going off of what others are saying whether that be the coaching staff, the media, etc.  At the end of the day, it's an inexact science at best.  And the best way to get that idea is through the interview process, which none of us are privy to.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, The LBC said:

Tyree Jackson?  I mean, you don't feel he's draftable at all?

I certainly won't label him as having a great chance of coming good, but he strikes me as one of those toolsy guys needing fine tuning that someone's going to spend a Day 2 pick on  to at least see if they can be the ones to coach that tuning into him.  I mean, if Mason Rudolph can get drafted in the 3rd round, Jackson ought to at least be capable of selection in the 4th or 5th.

Yep.  For some reason when I posted my rankings, I thought he was a graduate transfer.  He'll be in the UDFA grade.  But someone is going to gamble on him.  But the number of QBs in that size range haven't been very successful.  Not saying it's a foregone conclusion that he'll struggle, but the odds are against him.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm assuming you're referring to Joe Jackson?  He's a solid EDGE prospect, but not sure there's much in the way of upside.  He's not particularly twitchy by most standards, and his pad level is inconsistent at best.  I believe when he came to Miami he was lighter and more explosive, so he'll need to find that happy medium between being too heavy or too light. LIS, I don't think there's a whole lot of upside here but he should be a solid rotational EDGE in his career.  Is Diontae Thompson supposed to mean Dieonte Thompson from Alabama?

Whoops. Can't believe I spelled my favorite draft prospects name wrong.

And no Diontae Johnson is supposed to be the Toledo WR. I spelled his name wrong too...wtf! He's going to be a superstar.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No.  Quinnen Williams is arguably the best IDL that the draft has seen since Ndamukong Suh.  He's damn good, and a clear top 3 prospect for me.  Wilkins is good, but he's probably more in that second tier with Ed Oliver and Jeffrey Simmons.  At this point, I think it's a matter of preference.  Oliver is probably the best interior pass rusher of the bunch, but he's going to give up more in the run game.  Wilkins is probably the stoutest of the bunch, while Simmons is probably somewhere in the middle.  Ultimately, I think it comes down to what you need your DL to do.

A thought?

If you've got the time and/or interest - could you do a 1, 2 or 3 tier listing of your talents for a handful of positions?
Be good info and name recognition. If not - dont sweat it - but would be interested in your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 11:52 PM, onejayhawk said:

Did Lock help himself much at the Senior Bowl? Some of the QBs took a hit, but his comments were mostly favorable.

J

Maybe.  Not sure you're getting to read a whole lot into QBs when they're throwing in shorts.  It gives you a better idea of how they operate in the huddle.  But in terms of alleviating concerns, you're probably not taking too much away from it.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:28 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Which quarterback is the best decision-maker in your view? None of them have really stood out, like Baker last year for example and really Darnold and Rosen too to some degree, and I think that's a big red flag for teams wanting to find a franchise quarterback out of this class. 

And who's the worst out of the draftable QBs?

Probably could make an argument for either Haskins or Murray.  I've mentioned it before that Haskins seemed to play in a scheme that didn't really force him to push the ball down the field.  Murray played in a bit more open offense, and he was asked to throw more vertically than Haskins it seemed.  Not really a fan of Drew Lock or Daniel Jones' decision making.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:45 PM, SmittyBacall said:

How does Dalton Risner’s Senior Bowl week and adequate arm length change your outlook on him as a prospect (if at all)? Is he a viable option for Cincinnati at 11?

I'm still a bit skeptical of running him at tackle.  Honestly, kinda reminds me of Cody Whitehair a few years ago.  Probably a bit of a lazy comp, but I think he's a guy whose going to be better inside than at tackle.  Could he play tackle?  Sure, but I think it's like Zack Martin who is going to be better at guard.  Seem a bit anti-Mike Brown.

@CWood21 I have a question about who to draft when your aim is getting pressure on the QB. 

The obvious route to better pass rush (in the 3-4) is getting tall (6'3-6'6") fast linebackers, who ideally can bend well around the corner, push the defender back into the QB, hold up against big guys when the other side runs your way, and have some coverage ability as well. Not surprisingly, this is an almost impossible combination to achieve, so any prospects available are usually deficient in one or more of these areas. Also guys who have even some of these traits go very, very quickly.

This is a very good year indeed for pass rushers, but by the time my team (the Packers) get their first pick at #12, Bosa, J.Allen, Ferrell and one of Sweat/Polite could well be gone. If you count R.Gary as an edge guy as well, then five edge guys are gone at #12. There should still be two decent guys left (one of Sweat/Polite and B.Burns), but is this the optimum pick ?

If you choose improve the D line instead, going for penetrating 3techs who can apply direct pressure (and it's also a tremendous year for the DL), then Q.Williams, is gone for sure. Probably Ed Oliver too, and if you count Gary as an edge guy, you can equally count him here. Simmons might be gone, but a line has to be drawn somewhere

So it would seem a likely case is that five edge guys and/or three DLs go,  seven players in total (if you don't count Gary twice). It's a given that at least one CB and QB go in the first 11 picks, probably an OT and an ILB as well. That is all the 11 picks that come before the Packers pick.

Finally we get to the question. Taking all this into account, how would you prioritise your picks ?

For me, It's Oliver (barely) over Ferrell, then Simmons, Wilkins, Sweat, Gary, Polite, Burns. I think Oliver/Ferrell/Simmons/Wilkins would fit just fine with the Packers (though taking a degree of creativity), Gary could be good, but needs more work to fit than the first three. I went Sweat/Polite/Burns in that order, as I prefer somewhat bigger bodies at edge. Sweat and Wilkins were pretty much equal in my eyes, while Gary was as far down as he was because of fit, rather than overall talent.

Archived