Should it be illegal for a QB who slows down towards the sideline to come back and run?

patriotsheatyan

Scenario:

QB has ball and takes off. He heads towards the sideline as defenders chase him. He slows down to avoid contact as he is nearly out of bounds. Defenders stop to avoid penalty. QB sees defenders slowing down to avoid contact and cuts back in.

Should this be unsportsmanlike penalty?

6 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Scenario:

QB has ball and takes off. He heads towards the sideline as defenders chase him. He slows down to avoid contact as he is nearly out of bounds. Defenders stop to avoid penalty. QB sees defenders slowing down to avoid contact and cuts back in.

Should this be unsportsmanlike penalty?

Considering the NFL considers the QB a runner at this point, and he isn't afforded the protections that he did as a QB...no.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Considering the NFL considers the QB a runner at this point, and he isn't afforded the protections that he did as a QB...no.

While true I'll bet they get more flags than a receiver or runner with a little contact after leaving the field of play. It should not be a penalty though. The sideline is as good as another defender so just protect the field of play so that he either leaves it or gets hit/tackled. No, you don't have to give an extra push as he is leaving the field of play that is usually where the flags come and it's usually very little contact but looks bad because of the circumstances. So play it smart and you won't get flagged.

Im on the fence on this. On one hand there really isnt an issue with it in theory but here is the issue in reality.

If someone is gonna actually hit them the QB goes out and the would-be tackler is flagged for a late hit. If the tackler lets up to avoid this, the QB stays in and gains additional yardage. Having said this that logic can be applied to any offensive position so how would you even regulate it. If youre not out of bounds well youre not out of bounds, the defender should finish the play.

No, the ball carrier should be allowed to get blasted if they’re approaching the sideline. They should be protected once they’re firmly out of bounds. The refs probably protect runners, especially QBs, more than they should in circumstances like these. But the solution isn’t to change more rules. The solution is to just make more accurate calls by the letter of the rule.

The defender should have the awareness to make the call on whether or not they’re going to get there before or after the ball carrier does. 

I hate when they call defenders for late hit and the whistle hasn't been even blown yet... I'm sorry but if you can't blow a whistle in time then there is no way a defender is gonna be able to stop his tackling motion. It drives me crazy on those close late hits.

Archived