What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

So I implemented a new policy/tactic with my juniors this term and it appears to have had enough success (IMO) that it merits expanding it to my other classes in the new school year in the fall.

I made it known in the syllabus at the beginning of the semester that any student who accumulated a 95.0 or above via home/coursework, projects, and tests by the end of the semester would be exempt from the final exam.  They still have to - technically - show up for the exam but they're dismissed to the library to study for any other finals  they have left as soon as they show up.  I was intending to reward the students who actually put in the work and didn't just try to do the base minimum to make the particular grade they were after, and it's quantitatively worked as the number of students with a 95.0 going into finals is looking like it's 15% higher than it was last semester.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Also, and probably the bigger news, I'm probably going to have to see Webby about that one-time name change... because after Friday, ya boi becomes Doctor LBC.

Did you take up rapping or something 

1 hour ago, Tyty said:

Did you take up rapping or something 

No.  But I finished my Ed.D and it's being conferred on Friday.

I did look for an option in Thuganomics, but it wasn't offered.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Congrats ! That's a hell of an accomplishment - especially while still teaching. Take a bow

Yeah, I did a three-year Doctorate program that is specifically designed for teachers who are still currently teaching.  Told myself I was going to get my doctorate before I turned 40... coming in 2 1/2 years ahead of schedule.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Also, and probably the bigger news, I'm probably going to have to see Webby about that one-time name change... because after Friday, ya boi becomes Doctor LBC.

That's absolutely awesome buddy, congratulations!

15 hours ago, The LBC said:

So I implemented a new policy/tactic with my juniors this term and it appears to have had enough success (IMO) that it merits expanding it to my other classes in the new school year in the fall.

I made it known in the syllabus at the beginning of the semester that any student who accumulated a 95.0 or above via home/coursework, projects, and tests by the end of the semester would be exempt from the final exam.  They still have to - technically - show up for the exam but they're dismissed to the library to study for any other finals  they have left as soon as they show up.  I was intending to reward the students who actually put in the work and didn't just try to do the base minimum to make the particular grade they were after, and it's quantitatively worked as the number of students with a 95.0 going into finals is looking like it's 15% higher than it was last semester.

As a fellow HS teacher, I would 100% love that policy. Unfortunately, we don't have the authority to implement it as of now. We do have an "exam exemption" list for cumulative semester grades (in the rear) where students can exempt 1-2 exams of their choice, but that's neat to see the data supporting your policy. Out of curiosity, did you have to clear it with administrators first?

Ok so the travelling baseball team hit a bit of a snag. 

My son is known to be a really aggressive, physical player in football, but this team he only has one kid that has ever played football with. I guess he got into an argument with one kid and that kid shoved him from behind when he went to go get his glove or bat or whatever. So he took him down and  pinned him by his neck to the ground. Now he never even hit the kid and - by his account and a few of the parents that split them up- he never even choked him either.

I'm not mad at him or anything, but I'm not sure what to tell him. I WANT to say, "Make an example out of anyone who tries to bully you" but these kids are just 8. In football I'll make them do the Oklahoma drill a few times against each other but that's not exactly in the cards here and the other kids parents are super pissed I guess. 

Any advice on what to say when we get to the meeting between us, them and the coach tomorrow before the games? The dad I can tolerate even of he is a bit of a jerk but the mom... she is just a vile personality. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

My son is known to be a really aggressive, physical player in football, but this team he only has one kid that has ever played football with. I guess he got into an argument with one kid and that kid shoved him from behind when he went to go get his glove or bat or whatever. So he took him down and  pinned him by his neck to the ground. Now he never even hit the kid and - by his account and a few of the parents that split them up- he never even choked him either.

Since you asked....

Your son was in the wrong here (as was the other kid). It’s one thing to defend yourself if someone is hitting you or whatever, but tackling someone after they push you isn’t exactly defending anything, he turned into the aggressor.  Obviously the other kid needs to learn to keep his hands to himself, but that’s neither here nor there.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I'm not mad at him or anything, but I'm not sure what to tell him. I WANT to say, "Make an example out of anyone who tries to bully you" but these kids are just 8.

Yeah that’s not a good answer.  “Make an example” gives a kid far too much self justification to take things entirely too far. There’s defending yourself and then there’s going past that.

As far as what to say, you tell him he was wrong, and that the kid’s push didn’t warrant tackling him.  You tell him to be the bigger man and walk away unless the kid gives him no other choice.

Tbh it’s a couple of 8 year olds who got into a fight.  It’s not a big deal (of course I wouldn’t tell them that). Get them together, tell them to keep their hands to themselves and make them shake hands and move on.  Boys will be boys to some degree and they’ll likely move past this whole thing far quicker than the parents (moms) will. I’d use the situation as a teaching moment, but wouldn’t make it more than it is.

• Like 1