What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

34 minutes ago, theJ said:

Welp, riding mower is dead.  Guess i'm spending my stimulus check plus some for a new mower.

How much to fix the old mower?

My dad buys broken down mowers/tractors and fixes them up to re-sell. They’re easier and cheaper to fix than you’d think.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

My dad buys broken down mowers/tractors and fixes them up to re-sell. They’re easier and cheaper to fix than you’d think.

I've lost compression in one of the cylinders.  Probably have to bore out the cylinder and replace the rings, etc.  I talked to the dealer this morning.  He was thinking between parts/labor i'd be like 2.5k in for him to do it.  Cheaper if i pulled it all apart and had a machine shop do the stuff i can't do myself.

Or another 2-2.5k to just replace the engine.

It's a 2003 model Grasshopper, 614 model.  I think i bought it for $2k 8 years ago. 

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, theJ said:
16 minutes ago, Dome said:

I've lost compression in one of the cylinders.  Probably have to bore out the cylinder and replace the rings, etc.  I talked to the dealer this morning.  He was thinking between parts/labor i'd be like 2.5k in for him to do it.  Cheaper if i pulled it all apart and had a machine shop do the stuff i can't do myself.

Or another 2-2.5k to just replace the engine.

It's a 2003 model Grasshopper, 614 model.  I think i bought it for $2k 8 years ago. 

Thoughts?

Also, i'm not averse to doing the work myself.  But i'll need a mower again by next week, so i can't be working on this for the next few weeks.

What i might entertain, if it were economically viable, is replacing the engine myself and selling it.  Then i could buy new now, and work on this one for the next month or so under no pressure.

6 minutes ago, theJ said:

Also, i'm not averse to doing the work myself.  But i'll need a mower again by next week, so i can't be working on this for the next few weeks.

What i might entertain, if it were economically viable, is replacing the engine myself and selling it.  Then i could buy new now, and work on this one for the next month or so under no pressure.

BE MAN GET A PUSH MOWER AND MOW THOSE ACRES ON YOUR OWN!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, theJ said:

Thoughts?

I personally don't have any experience. 

My dad's side hustle involves buying used parts on CL and eBay, buying broken down mowers/tractors to salvage parts you need for cheap (or profit after you sell the parts you don't need), and cold-calling people who are selling lots of tractors on CL/eBay just to see if they happen to have the parts you might need. 

Parts for mowers and small tractors can be found dirt cheap if you find other sources like mentioned above, going through the dealership is not a route he could use if he wanted to make money selling them once they're all fixed up.

It's probably not something you can pull off in a couple weeks, and the cost to have someone else do it doesn't sound like it makes sense.

So, what kind of mower are you going to buy? :D

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

I personally don't have any experience. 

My dad's side hustle involves buying used parts on CL and eBay, buying broken down mowers/tractors to salvage parts you need for cheap (or profit after you sell the parts you don't need), and cold-calling people who are selling lots of tractors on CL/eBay just to see if they happen to have the parts you might need. 

Parts for mowers and small tractors can be found dirt cheap if you find other sources like mentioned above, going through the dealership is not a route he could use if he wanted to make money selling them once they're all fixed up.

It's probably not something you can pull off in a couple weeks, and the cost to have someone else do it doesn't sound like it makes sense.

So, what kind of mower are you going to buy? :D

To the bolded, probably not.  But i'm not averse to holding on to the busted hotness while i ride around on the new hotness.  If i can't figure out how to repair it, junking it now vs. later doesn't change anything.

The what to buy is the current question of the day.  I have/had a Grasshopper.  I'll probably go for another commercial type mower.  They're a bit more rugged and built to last.  Mine is almost 20 years old and looks nearly new.

17 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

BE MAN GET A PUSH MOWER AND MOW THOSE ACRES ON YOUR OWN!

I actually did that for a month or two when i was looking for my first mower.  I maintained about 1.5 acres with a small push mower.  Took about 4 hours each time.  That was...not fun.

I've got 2 acres now.  I can't imagine trying to push that lol.

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

I actually did that for a month or two when i was looking for my first mower.  I maintained about 1.5 acres with a small push mower.  Took about 4 hours each time.  That was...not fun.

I've got 2 acres now.  I can't imagine trying to push that lol.

Yeah that would really suck.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dome said:

This might actually be a viable option.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I found a cylinder assembly on ebay for $80.  New would be $400.  I'm betting i could rebuild this thing for $500-700, and resell it for $1-2k later.  I could spend all year doing it, because really the best time to sell a mower is going to be March/April.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, theJ said:

To the bolded, probably not.  But i'm not averse to holding on to the busted hotness while i ride around on the new hotness.  If i can't figure out how to repair it, junking it now vs. later doesn't change anything.

The what to buy is the current question of the day.  I have/had a Grasshopper.  I'll probably go for another commercial type mower.  They're a bit more rugged and built to last.  Mine is almost 20 years old and looks nearly new.

This also opens up the potential for kids to have mower privileges, but only to use the old one, which would drive them crazy and therefore be hilarious.

Though I'd just about bet my house that you're a guy who wants to mow the lawn because it's guy meditation.

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This also opens up the potential for kids to have mower privileges, but only to use the old one, which would drive them crazy and therefore be hilarious.

Though I'd just about bet my house that you're a guy who wants to mow the lawn because it's guy meditation.

My kids driving the mower would be carnage.  Of course they're only 6 and 2...

My 6 year old likes to drive it around, but i only let him do it when i'm sitting with him so i can turn it when he's about to run into something.

I really do like to do it.  Sometimes i don't have time and my wife does it (she also likes the peace it gives).  The way she mows drives me crazy though.  It's like she just cuts random patterns.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, Bas Rutten. Urlacher wouldn't have needed those hair plugs, because Rutten would have scalped him and left him to rot.

Was this Roger Huerta? I remember this...

The "victim" in this cold cocked a woman, and Huerta immediately went into cage mode. The "victim" was a former DT for Texas, so he thought he was a badass ...and he probably thought nothing of the 5' 9" 170 Huerta ...until Huerta fed him his front teeth.

Pshhh, I'm too old for that now. Unless someone is threatening my family's safety, I'm not fighting anyone - too many crazies out there with nothing to lose. 

That was the fight. TMZ cuts off but I pend Roger and begged him to stop. He would have killed that dude. He had murderous rage.. 

• Like 1