What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

On 10/05/2020 at 9:30 AM, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think the thing that annoys me the most about the internet is that you can barely ever find the answer to a question without a long article. Just tell me wtf kills maggots. I don’t need to read a 10 paragraph essay about maggots.

And the second most annoying thing about the internet might be that whenever you ask a question like that you get a bunch of articles on how to make homemade solutions from crap you keep under your sink(spoiler alert: it’s always goddamn bleach). Just tell me a freakin poison I can go to Dollar General and buy. I’m not trying to save $10. I’m not trying to make a fun project out of this. IDGAF about the potential harms. I just want to kill the sons of *******

Best thing for killing anything is always fire, in case you were wondering.  It is universally effective.  If slightly dangerous.

On 13/05/2020 at 4:54 AM, PapaShogun said:

Ehhhh...an earful isn't going to stop them though from blasting their music, cutting you in line, talking during the movie, etc. 

Because at the end of the day, you can not like what someone is doing, but if you can't fix the problem...why confront said person in the first place almost. Some selfish people don't care if you scream/yell at them. You're just a ***** that won't make a move. Then they got you. A lot of selfish people simply speak of the language of "might equals right"/"I have the gun and you don't so therefore I win". Actually, that's probably humans in a nutshell. 

Someone did come up with a semi-decent solution elsewhere though: 

I mean, you might not convince them to stop doing what they're doing, but you do get to back out of the situation via cryptic comment so you don't like like a ***** to the bully + onlookers. Then afterward you can go get the appropriate authorities to handle it. 

Yeah.  Big key is basically to just take the high road, and make the other idiot look like a chump.  That's the only way to actually "win" a thing like that.

On 13/05/2020 at 10:28 AM, mission27 said:

I'd argue 5'9" is average tbh

On 13/05/2020 at 9:37 AM, mission27 said:

Wait is 5'10" sohrt now?

I mean...as a 5'9" and a half or whatever i am man...yes...it's short now.  It's not average, unless you're taking like a global survey of billions of peasants in the far reaches of Asia.  6' is where people put their perception of "average"...even if that's not close to the actual average.

Short dudes have a complex for a reason.

On 13/05/2020 at 11:52 AM, Dome said:

Same size homies 

I was about to say something similar:

im a big dude and I’ve actually had some training... so there are times I probably could have “taught someone a lesson” when they where being a d-bag, but why would I?

I’m gonna act like I’m looking at my phone or potentially just leave the area.

I’m not risking my health or freedom so I can maybe say I made some knucklehead regret being a knucklehead for a minute or two.

next thing you know, you’re the knucklehead 

This is really the only way you come out of these sort of altercations  looking good at all.  Just don't go there.

But at the same time...good choices aren't always made.

The only time i've really been in trouble with Johnny Law, was when i, in a severely jetlagged state...became too good at Karaoke and also maybe too intoxicated, possibly.  Said something regrettable about the bouncers shoes being ******* stupid on the way back to my table, and he got real mad.  But he weirdly tried to like...grab my arms, which i didn't like, so i kinda instinctively threw a shoulder into his hip and the big "intimidating" 6'1" 265 shaped dude went down in a heap.  And got extra mad.

Which just made all 3 of the other bouncers run over and basically wrestle me to the ground and then sit on me and call the police.

So i spent the night in the drunk tank, without my shoelaces.  And **** if trying to re-lace shoes on a police station lawn while you're hungover doesn't suck.  So don't do that ever, imo.

On 14/05/2020 at 11:44 AM, theJ said:

Welp, riding mower is dead.  Guess i'm spending my stimulus check plus some for a new mower.

You can probably fix.

On 14/05/2020 at 12:29 PM, theJ said:

I've lost compression in one of the cylinders.  Probably have to bore out the cylinder and replace the rings, etc.  I talked to the dealer this morning.  He was thinking between parts/labor i'd be like 2.5k in for him to do it.  Cheaper if i pulled it all apart and had a machine shop do the stuff i can't do myself.

Or another 2-2.5k to just replace the engine.

It's a 2003 model Grasshopper, 614 model.  I think i bought it for $2k 8 years ago. 

Thoughts?

Those are kinda crazy price quotes.

My parents lawn tractor motor (Kawasaki) exploded itself, and i tore it apart to see if it could be salvaged.  It was basically destroyed completely, like your situation sounds.  I didn't do a compression test...but the one piston had entirely ****ed itself into oblivion when the connecting rod went bum and more or less destroyed the cylinder wall in the process.

But...after waiting a minute, found a good deal on a Briggs and Stratton motor that would fit from Princess Auto, and put that sucker in.  After some annoying electrical figuring, it lasted...some number of years without issue.  Until they got a new, bigger tractor thing.  Definitely did not cost $2k+ US Dollars.  The new motor was just over $1k Canadian from what i remember, plus a few other random bits from the hardware store to get it assembled and connected.  Went from a variable throttle to...a choke-throttle combo, which is awkward, but still works perfectly fine.  So idk.  Gained a couple HP in the process.  But i'd defs look into what you can swap in, to make your lawn tractor a sweet *** hotrod...for cheap.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Those are kinda crazy price quotes.

My parents lawn tractor motor (Kawasaki) exploded itself, and i tore it apart to see if it could be salvaged.  It was basically destroyed completely, like your situation sounds.  I didn't do a compression test...but the one piston had entirely ****ed itself into oblivion when the connecting rod went bum and more or less destroyed the cylinder wall in the process.

But...after waiting a minute, found a good deal on a Briggs and Stratton motor that would fit from Princess Auto, and put that sucker in.  After some annoying electrical figuring, it lasted...some number of years without issue.  Until they got a new, bigger tractor thing.  Definitely did not cost $2k+ US Dollars.  The new motor was just over $1k Canadian from what i remember, plus a few other random bits from the hardware store to get it assembled and connected.  Went from a variable throttle to...a choke-throttle combo, which is awkward, but still works perfectly fine.  So idk.  Gained a couple HP in the process.  But i'd defs look into what you can swap in, to make your lawn tractor a sweet *** hotrod...for cheap

I'm going to fix it up. But meanwhile the lawn needs cut. 

There's a price to do it now, and a price to do it slowly. They are not the same price. 

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm going to fix it up. But meanwhile the lawn needs cut. 

There's a price to do it now, and a price to do it slowly. They are not the same price. 

The price to get the lawn cut now is probably like...whatever you can hire a child out of school for, at like minumum wage though.  Maybe?

But yeah, if you need it done immediately...just getting a new thing and doing it, probably isn't the worst idea.  Used lawn tractors though, are worth about $3.50 usually.

25 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Used lawn tractors though, are worth about $3.50 usually.

With the lawn I have, it'd take 4-6 hrs in a tractor style. I've always had a zero turn. I could go cheaper on a zero turn, but when I buy expensive stuff I go for quality. 

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I mean...as a 5'9" and a half or whatever i am man...yes...it's short now.  It's not average, unless you're taking like a global survey of billions of peasants in the far reaches of Asia.  6' is where people put their perception of "average"...even if that's not close to the actual average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_human_height_by_country

Average adult male height in the US is 5'9" 

Average adult male height globally is much shorter, about 5'7"

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-average-height-of-humans-in-the-world

As someone who is 6' I'm definitely taller than probably 2/3rds or more of guys I come in contact with on a day to day basis tbh.  And maybe 1 out of 10 or fewer is noticeably taller than me.

There are obviously large variations based on genetics, so if you live in a place that is predominantly people of Germanic or Nordic descent for example, that may skew your perception, and the average could be 5'10" or 5'11".  The average adult male in the Netherlands is 5'11"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_human_height_by_country

Average adult male height in the US is 5'9" 

Average adult male height globally is much shorter, about 5'7"

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-average-height-of-humans-in-the-world

As someone who is 6' I'm definitely taller than probably 2/3rds or more of guys I come in contact with on a day to day basis tbh.  And maybe 1 out of 10 or fewer is noticeably taller than me.

There are obviously large variations based on genetics, so if you live in a place that is predominantly people of Germanic or Nordic descent for example, that may skew your perception, and the average could be 5'10" or 5'11".  The average adult male in the Netherlands is 5'11"

That's the whole thing with height though.

Like...if you're 6' in America, you're in the 95th percentile or whatever and you'll probably literally never even think about it...because you're taller than almost everybody.  But if you're 5'8"-5'10"...you might be anywhere from below average...to slightly above average.  Despite being practically the same height, depending on what shoes you're wearing.  It's one of them infernal bell curves.

But the point is...societally...that "middleground" height of 5'9" is still seen and perceived as short.  It's irrational and scientifically unsound...but...it's the way that people view other people, and the impression that makes.  5'9" walking into a room doesn't make the same impression as 6'.  One is viewed as "shorter", the other is viewed as "tall and commanding".  There have been plenty of studies on this, and if you're 6' tall...you're riding the wave of height privilege.  You'll probably make more money doing the same thing a short person does, and find greater opportunities for advancement.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

With the lawn I have, it'd take 4-6 hrs in a tractor style. I've always had a zero turn. I could go cheaper on a zero turn, but when I buy expensive stuff I go for quality. 

Ahhh, it's a zero turn that died?  That's probably a lot better for used resale value.  Also way better for actually mowing lawns.

But quality doesn't necessarily matter, if you're selling used.  Unless its those sorta of "old school" models that have a reliability reputation made of iron.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

There have been plenty of studies on this, and if you're 6' tall...you're riding the wave of height privilege.  You'll probably make more money doing the same thing a short person does, and find greater opportunities for advancement.

Oh believe me, @TLO and myself have long preached the theory of TPP (Tall Person Privilege) and it is integral to our tremendous success in life.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Ahhh, it's a zero turn that died?  That's probably a lot better for used resale value.  Also way better for actually mowing lawns.

But quality doesn't necessarily matter, if you're selling used.  Unless its those sorta of "old school" models that have a reliability reputation made of iron.

It's a grasshopper. I should be able to get 2k out of it rebuilt, I think. Similar models are going for about the same on FB market. 

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

Oh believe me, @TLO and myself have long preached the theory of TPP (Tall Person Privilege) and it is integral to our tremendous success in life.

one of the happiest days of my life was the day i grew to six foot

it's when i knew the doors would start to open tbh

• Like 2