What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

this has been the most anxiety-ridden, sleep-deprived week since I can remember.

I'm normally anxious, like I sweat and get jittery during packers games. This week has felt like a 120 hour packers game.

Enjoy the next few weeks/months. This will continue...I'd bank on it.

• Like 1

The all in one model is probably fine. The heating element is on the bottom and as far as I know there’s no circulator in it, so the cook won’t be as consistent as the stick circulators just because its not constantly mixing the water and creating a homogenous temperature. But I can’t imagine it would make things inedible, you just might be off by a degree or something as you cook. As long as you’re not doing dumb crap like cooking chicken to 140 and then immediately taking it out the second that it reaches the minimum amount of time to kill bacteria (and therefore with the couple degree difference maybe didn’t actually stay at the temp long enough), you really shouldn’t have any real problems with it. Maybe occasionally your fish comes out cooked to a point that’s not exactly where you want it, but even steak is forgiving within a couple degrees, and I really can’t see it being off bu more than a couple, maybe 4 degrees. And you could certainly monitor the bath with a probe thermometer if you wanted to.

The only issue I would really have with using an all in one is that if I’m sous viding meats, I’m usually preparing a side with it. So like you can’t make mashed potatoes or risotto or some other side in the Instant Pot if you’re already using it to water bath your meat. I’ll make some risotto in the instant pot when I’m cooking a pork loin in the sous vide, or if I didn’t have time to do a roast in the Dutch oven it will go in the instant pot and I’ll sous vide some carrots to go with it. 

If you really don’t have the money or the space for both, the all in one with sous vide is probably fine, but I would still recommend that someone get both if they want a better and more precise product or want some versatility to use both for the same meal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

The all in one model is probably fine. The heating element is on the bottom and as far as I know there’s no circulator in it, so the cook won’t be as consistent as the stick circulators just because its not constantly mixing the water and creating a homogenous temperature. But I can’t imagine it would make things inedible, you just might be off by a degree or something as you cook. As long as you’re not doing dumb crap like cooking chicken to 140 and then immediately taking it out the second that it reaches the minimum amount of time to kill bacteria (and therefore with the couple degree difference maybe didn’t actually stay at the temp long enough), you really shouldn’t have any real problems with it. Maybe occasionally your fish comes out cooked to a point that’s not exactly where you want it, but even steak is forgiving within a couple degrees, and I really can’t see it being off bu more than a couple, maybe 4 degrees. And you could certainly monitor the bath with a probe thermometer if you wanted to.

The only issue I would really have with using an all in one is that if I’m sous viding meats, I’m usually preparing a side with it. So like you can’t make mashed potatoes or risotto or some other side in the Instant Pot if you’re already using it to water bath your meat. I’ll make some risotto in the instant pot when I’m cooking a pork loin in the sous vide, or if I didn’t have time to do a roast in the Dutch oven it will go in the instant pot and I’ll sous vide some carrots to go with it. 

If you really don’t have the money or the space for both, the all in one with sous vide is probably fine, but I would still recommend that someone get both if they want a better and more precise product or want some versatility to use both for the same meal. 

In 2 sentences or less, talk me out of buying an air fryer and into an Instapot despite my perfectly working crockpot please.

You’re also limited to the size of the instant pot for the sous vide in that case. I’ve cooked massive cuts of lamb that just don’t fit well in the instant pot, and I wonder how the circulation would do even with like a 6 lb roast. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

In 2 sentences or less, talk me out of buying an air fryer and into an Instapot despite my perfectly working crockpot please.

Just get the instant pot with the air fryer; it’ll have the same issue with versatility I described above, but you can do both. Crock pots are trash, see below:

Technically two sentences + a video, but it should count. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Instant pot @ walmart has the one that has the Pressure + Sous Vide + Air Fryer top for 50% off. I am thinking about getting it. Its $80 right now instead of $150.