What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

8 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Could shutting down the electrical grid really kill 90% of Americans in a year? That sounds like BS

The lack of electricity would not but the chaos that would follow such an event would have a great toll.  Electricity gives us easy food and mass food storage, once the easy food goes away - dried and canned goods, things would get bad.  Hungry people will do desperate things, and we have a society of people who do not know how to take care of themselves without a nearby supermarket.

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Could shutting down the electrical grid really kill 90% of Americans in a year? That sounds like BS

I could see it. Hospitals could be back up with generators. But that's if they have the gas to keep them going for a year and no one steals it. During the summer and winter months without heat/ac the elderly, sick, and weak will die just as some did in Florida after Hurricane Irma and other natural disasters. Food production would mostly cease. Clean water would be scarce. You won't be driving long once your car runs out of gas and the pumps can't refill it. So you'd have to hope you're in a good spot.

It's definitely possible without aid from foreign allies. Even then, without power, how would we know where to go to get the aid we need? That's just the beginning.

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

I could see it. Hospitals could be back up with generators. But that's if they have the gas to keep them going for a year and no one steals it. During the summer and winter months without heat/ac the elderly, sick, and weak will die just as some did in Florida after Hurricane Irma and other natural disasters. Food production would mostly cease. Clean water would be scarce. You won't be driving long once your car runs out of gas and the pumps can't refill it. So you'd have to hope you're in a good spot.

It's definitely possible without aid from foreign allies. Even then, without power, how would we know where to go to get the aid we need? That's just the beginning.

One Second After by Williams Forstchen is pretty interesting look at what happens to a society in a small town of North Carolina with no power grid.

1 minute ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

One Second After by Williams Forstchen is pretty interesting look at what happens to a society in a small town of North Carolina with no power grid.

I've actually read that. I enjoyed it and it really could be something that could happen. When you actually look into how everything works, it's kinda scary how fragile it is. I keep hoping that at some point local/federal leaders will upgrade our utility systems. Most water, power and sewage lines are rather dated or just don't work properly. And if they were to install fiber lines everywhere for internet, that'd be great too.

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Main reason I think 90% is insane. There would be aid. A LOT of it

You'd hope. It would take time to get to the States. Once here, it needs to be distributed. Doing that for a nation of over 300 million would be near impossible. But as I said, how would people know where to go without TV, radios or phones telling them where to go? But I think the biggest factor would be what caused the power outage.

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I've actually read that. I enjoyed it and it really could be something that could happen. When you actually look into how everything works, it's kinda scary how fragile it is. I keep hoping that at some point local/federal leaders will upgrade our utility systems. Most water, power and sewage lines are rather dated or just don't work properly. And if they were to install fiber lines everywhere for internet, that'd be great too.

The problem with this is that a lot of times when utility companies try to upgrade the grid, reliability, infrastructure, etc, they run into all kids of problems with people protesting, getting petitions, making ridiculous claims, etc to stop the progress. They claim a number of things, mostly unfounded, and get projects delayed or even cancelled all together by the local government officials. It's pretty comical to listen to some of these people on the news complain about how new towers, lines, structures, substations will impact how their neighborhoods look, then turn around and complain that the electrical grid isn't reliable enough. More lines/structures would greatly help to relieve the loading on the current lines, and make the grid much more reliable, but these people don't want to look at them. People also like to claim that overhead power lines can cause all kinds of illnesses, including cancer. If that was the case, I would have been dead a long time ago lol. I work in a bulk power switching center, with multiple 500kV and 220kV lines all around us. Of course, these same people also don't want new underground lines, because it will negatively impact the soil, and that it will end up causing problems with crops and such. Not true at all, but these are the same people that say these new 'smart meters' we have on homes will increase the ability of people to hack in and know when you are at home, away, asleep, on vacation, etc, and they'll know when the best times are to break in. People have literally said that these meters will let people know when you are on vacation..... ridiculous...

Anyhow, I'll stop my rant there. I just get frustrated with people these days lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Just watched the medic on my boat melt an entire stick of butter in the microwave, put three spoon fulls of sugar into the mixture, some cinnamon, and a few dabs of syrup, and then proceed to use his hands to rip apart 5 plate sized pancakes and dunk them into the bowl until the entire butter mixture was gone.

Washed it down with 2 cans of coke as well.

Breakfast of champions

Do they still measure your waist-size as part of the Navy fitness test?