What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 hour ago, steadypimpin said:

just go for the basics, don't get all fancy. Ask for lots of bottles, those things are expensive. Definitely get a diaper genie and refills. swaddling blankets are key. PLENTY of butt wipes!!!

I would stay away from bottle warmers, you'll never use it.

Get a baby thermometer too.

@The Gnat

I concur with this.  We use all those things.  For swaddling blankets, we had two types.  The muslin blankets, and regular blankets.  Regular blankets don't keep the baby's arms in, so they're super frustrating.  The muslin blankets are equivalent to using duct tape.  Their arms aren't coming out, and baby is super comfy and won't wake up early.  They're also nice and light, so you can wrap a baby in one of those when it's warm and they won't sweat.  

We would wrap them in a muslin blanket first, then a regular blanket if it was cold.

Definitely would not register for more regular swaddle blankets, or the ones with velcro (those are crap).  You only need two or three regular blankets to swaddle with, then maybe 3-4 of the muslin ones.

I wouldn't register for toys.  Sooner or later, you'll be up to your eyeballs in them.

I would register for diapers, wipes, etc.  They are expensive.

We registered for a crib, car seat and stroller.  Used those a lot.

I think bassinets are a waste.  Baby uses it for like 4 weeks and then you have this thing you can't do anything with.

I'm on the fence with the diaper genie.  I like them, but it's almost just as easy to put a trash can outside with a tight sealing lid.  Keeps all smell out, and lasts longer (diaper genie fills up in like 3 days seemingly and the refills for the bags are kind of pricey).

You'll need more pacifiers than the one or two you get from the hospital.  That's the item we lose most in our house.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

For those with children what are things that you've put on a baby registry that you wouldn't now because it wasn't worth it, or something you wish you would have put on your baby registry? Those are the things that I'm thinking about today.

5 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

You and me both. I'm interested in knowing this as well.

For the registry there are things like diapers and wipes that you want a ton of, as steadypimpin said. But other things to look at are baby nursing pillows (my wife had one for the front room, bedroom, and my truck), Crib sheets : we rotated and changed it every 3-4 days), nursing covers and pads for la baby mamma (honestly the nursing bras, tank tops, etc are all great for the mothers), milk storage bags, bottle drying rack, pacifiers, mesh so the baby is in the shade while driving (link below) and hygiene products like baby nail clippers, nose suckers, baby baths, any and all babyproofing items, lanolin, etc. If you're making a registry, add in the carseat, crib, mattress, stroller, highchair, Sit Me Up, mobile, gliding chair, portable crib, digital camera, etc all in. Even if you have to buy them yourself, someone might get one or more for you.  If you are a camping or outdoors kind of guy, get stuff like mosquito nets. Seriously, they make them for strollers, cribs, even the little travel tents, I love them. Just look on amazon.  Gift cards are great when you realize you're lacking something, and I made my friends tear up with a card for a paid photoshoot for their first family portraits as their wedding gift. Add it to the list too.

Shade for car - https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Interior-Double-layer-Sunlight-Cleaning/dp/B07D6FJ8L6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1528403413&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=baby%2Bshade%2Bcar&th=1

A lot of stuff for the baby can be had in yardsales, shops for kids items to be re-sold (they are amazing), flea markets, etc. The big things to make sure are bought new are breast pump, baby mattress, carseat. Whatever you get used, wash yourself. IDC if it is from a nice resale store, a hand-me-down from a relative or whatever. Toys included, at least wipe them down first.

Other pro tips-

Call your insurance and see if they have any PPO providers near you and coverage for breast pumps. A lot of companies will cover PPO provider supplied ones at 100%.

- Call the insurance to see if there is a prior certification OR prior authorization needed for the inpatient stay for your wife. Some companies do, some don't. See how long they are allowed to be there without one. Most companies allow you 72 hours for natural births and 96 with cesarean births. If you are going to be thee longer then you might need to call in to let them know to avoid a penalty.

- Make sure the hospital you want to have the baby delivered at in PPO, the Dr you want to deliver the baby is, and the pediatrician you want to have care for the baby is (if different from the one delivering). You need to also see how many preventive care visits the insurance covers for the baby. Some do 8 visits up until 2, some have no max.

- Portable changing table/bag. It is 2018 and most men restrooms still lack the baby changing table. (like this one https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Safe-Surround-Changing/dp/B00MHUCOVO/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1528403023&sr=1-6&keywords=changing%2Btables%2Bportable&th=1

- Don't buy much clothing new unless you have a lot of disposable income. Seriously, they grow too fast. Get them cheap, get them in bulk.

- Make a few scrapbooks, buy a memory book, and think of a few traditions. You can find these anywhere, like a treated board that you measure them on (in case you move you can take it with you) or pictures that are seasonal.

- We found the baby loved the old school alarm clocks that ring the bells on top. We never set the alarm for it, but the clicking likely reminded them of her heartbeat while in the womb.

- Be prepared to have a ton of unwanted "advice" on parenting from everyone, even strangers. It's annoying, just say thanks and move on.

- Check on her maternity time, some places want it in so many weeks before delivery, and each company has varying times. Check for yourself too!!! Most places allow the fathers to have 4-6 weeks as well, though if they only pay for the first 2, then take that time off to spend with the family.

- If you can take a baby CPR course, do it. I've never had to do anything like it, but it makes me feel a hell of a lot better knowing what to do if it comes up.

- When the baby sleeps, don't be scared to take a nap with them. I don't sleep a lot, but letting my wife catnap made a HUGE difference in how she felt.

- Read up on postpartum depression. Pay attention to your lady after the baby is born. It doesn't mean they are bad mothers or anything, seriously, my wife had it really bad after our son.  She got help and bounced back wonderfully.

- Hold them often. Yes, they are fragile, yes they cry or stink sometimes, but it makes you and the baby feel better just to be together. Skin to skin contact is great for the baby, plus it let's you show off the dadbod you've worked so hard for. :D

- Have daily and weekly family times to grow together. If you are religious, have prayer times before bed and meals, read the baby version of the Bible together, etc. Make it mandatory to eat together at a table at least 5 times a week (if possible due to work). We have breakfast and dinner together every day almost, and you get to talk with them directly and learn a lot about them at these times.

- Remember that the time you spend with the kids will mean more to them than the gift you get them (at least until around the teenage years  lol). I'm an independent carpenter so I am able to make my own schedule for the most part, sometimes I turn away from getting the extra time in so we can just hang out together or take them to the park. I've scolded several friends for shooing their kids away or not spending much time with them because of being selfish. Not once has any of them had an issue afterwards (other than the initial embarrassment, but I don't do it loudly we talk face to face) and find that they had fun with the activity.

- That being said, you DO need some adult time and the mother definitely will want and deserve some too. Schedule it out. I have a group that gets together to play guitars and jam out weekly, wifey has her group hobbies, and every Saturday morning (when it is warm) my brother and I go golfing. If you and some of the guys are into games, races, sports, working out, whatever, make some time for it. 3-4 hours a week is great, it gives you something to look forward to and recharge a little.

It is bad parenting to neglect kids, it is NOT bad parenting to make time for yourself and have your own adult time.  Took me about 2 years of being a father to realize that.

Congratulations to you both!

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 4

Just now, packerrfan74 said:

@Sugashane wow man thanks for all the tips. This will absolutely be getting bookmarked for reference and preparation. 

You made me a little uneasy though as I can say the only thing I have on this long list of things you mentioned is the dad bod. 

There isn't a deadline on most of it, just try to enjoy it as much as you can man. You can easily get away without a lot of the stuff, a lot of it is mostly convenience items.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

There isn't a deadline on most of it, just try to enjoy it as much as you can man. You can easily get away without a lot of the stuff, a lot of it is mostly convenience items.

I’m in the middle of doing several different things and plan on taking more time soon to thoroughly read your post. She’s only at about 13 weeks right now she we got plenty of time. The thing i keep hearing is start buying diapers now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packerrfan74 said:

I’m in the middle of doing several different things and plan on taking more time soon to thoroughly read your post. She’s only at about 13 weeks right now she we got plenty of time. The thing i keep hearing is start buying diapers now. 

bRSiP3U.gif

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

For those with children what are things that you've put on a baby registry that you wouldn't now because it wasn't worth it, or something you wish you would have put on your baby registry? Those are the things that I'm thinking about today.

Basics like infinite diapers, wipes, and basic cheap white onesies. I'd recommend not getting a diaper genie if you don't want to keep up on it. It's significantly cheaper just to throw out the diapers in a plastic grocery bag every day. Even toys aren't really a necessity in some respects imo. My kids were more interested in stupid stuff like paper and cups and stuff than $30 paw patrol toys. Jumper and bouncer is a good idea. Excess of pacifiers if you go that route. And if you get pacifiers, get a pacifier clip so the kid doesn't rip it out of their mouth and throw it or lose it. And maybe a keurig cause you not gonna get much sleep for a while. 

How are car alarms still a thing? Neighbors has been going off for a while. The only time mine has gone off was followed by a rush of embarrassment because I was the one responsible. I'm not convinced they're actually effective at deterring theft but beyond thinking about it right now, as I listen to my neighbors alarm, I'm not feeling motivated to research that.

3 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

How are car alarms still a thing? Neighbors has been going off for a while. The only time mine has gone off was followed by a rush of embarrassment because I was the one responsible. I'm not convinced they're actually effective at deterring theft but beyond thinking about it right now, as I listen to my neighbors alarm, I'm not feeling motivated to research that.

Man feel like every night one goes off in my apartment complex for ~5-10 minutes 

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

About 30 mins from me there was a kidnapping threat. Woman noticed she was followed from the Sam's Club parking lot and got inside the house with the kid ASAP. Car kept driving so she didn't call the cops, after a few minutes she saw the guy walking up to the house. Quick thinking, she set her car alarm off and he ran off. 

I also like to scare the neighbor's dog when he comes to crap in my lawn, and random people as they walk by my house. One teenage girl has fallen from the shock. It was like the goats that freeze. Ranks right above my wedding day.

23 minutes ago, Tyty said:

So Donald glover being rumored or whatever to play Willy wonka? Johnny depp is rolling over in his grave 

On a side note, how many bracelets, handkerchiefs, rings, and other accessories will Depp be wearing when he is buried? I am starting the over under at 23.5.

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

Give it an hour or two

tenor.gif?itemid=5447006

Edited by Sugashane