2019 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, CerealKiller said:

Its not that he isn't immediately succeeding in a new, much more complicated system, its how bad he looks. Skiddish, shellshocked, long ball hangs. Outside of a few bullets and the Denver game he has looked pretty sub par.  

Browns game?

Again, I vehemently disagree with whatever it is that you guys think you see when you rewatch these games.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

To say you are whining is not an insult. It's my opinion and quite frankly, I'll stand by it. If you're mad about it, fine. But you're whining and I have every right to call you out on that. I'm calling out your posts, not you as a person. 

I never called anyone an idiot. I said people in general who hate Carr (Carr haters) are idiots. I also didn't say if you hate Carr. I have no idea if you do or don't.

Is this situation optimal? No. Is Carr playing at his best? No.

But are there obvious reasons for this? YES.

Do you think me, or anyone else would not love to have Aaron Rodgers right now? Of course. But its so hard to find a qb, that you don't just throw one away just because of tough circumstances.

I agree with a few of your points and I certainly don’t blame Carr for all of our issues.  

My argument for trading Carr is that he isn’t going to make a big enough impact over the next two years to justify paying a guy $20-25 mil during a complete rebuild.  Carr could be a difference maker for a team that is just a QB away, but we are far from that and he is far from making a Rodgers type impact on an average team.

Ive never said Carr is terrible, I just don’t see him as a top 10 QB or on his way to that.  He has regressed since his injury(we can agree to disagree on that).  If we are starting from scratch on a rebuild then let’s do the same are QB so we don’t have such a huge cap # at the position on a guy that is good, but not great(and in my eyes not progressing).

4 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I agree with a few of your points and I certainly don’t blame Carr for all of our issues.  

My argument for trading Carr is that he isn’t going to make a big enough impact over the next two years to justify paying a guy $20-25 mil during a complete rebuild.  Carr could be a difference maker for a team that is just a QB away, but we are far from that and he is far from making a Rodgers type impact on an average team.

Ive never said Carr is terrible, I just don’t see him as a top 10 QB or on his way to that.  He has regressed since his injury(we can agree to disagree on that).  If we are starting from scratch on a rebuild then let’s do the same are QB so we don’t have such a huge cap # at the position on a guy that is good, but not great(and in my eyes not progressing).

When will we find another qb? Some teams are struggling to do so. His cap number over the next 3-4 years is not very high (21 million per year). His cap hit next year is 16th. Then 10th the year after because many qb's havent been resigned yet. It's not like he's even being paid as a top 10 qb right now. Quarterbacks play into their mid to late 30s. We have him for the foreseeable future so why dump him now?

Is going 0-16 part of your rebuilding plans? At least with Carr, if we can put a team in place we know we can win games. The Jaguars have a team in place and are struggling mightily with Bortles. They rebuilt their team fantastically and yet are now struggling to stay in games because of that one pesky position on their team. We can keep Carr during a 2-3 year retooling and still stay respectable without sacrificing some massive amount of cap space. The net of 15 million from Carr to a 1st round rookie wouldn't nearly justify whichever one or two players we could sign with that money, unless that rookie was immediately as good as Carr is right now, which again is unlikely.

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

When will we find another qb? Some teams are struggling to do so. His cap number over the next 3-4 years is not very high (21 million per year). His cap hit next year is 16th. Then 10th the year after because many qb's havent been resigned yet. It's not like he's even being paid as a top 10 qb right now. Quarterbacks play into their mid to late 30s. We have him for the foreseeable future so why dump him now?

Is going 0-16 part of your rebuilding plans? At least with Carr, if we can put a team in place we know we can win games. The Jaguars have a team in place and are struggling mightily with Bortles. They rebuilt their team fantastically and yet are now struggling to stay in games because of that one pesky position on their team. We can keep Carr during a 2-3 year retooling and still stay respectable without sacrificing some massive amount of cap space. The net of 15 million from Carr to a 1st round rookie wouldn't nearly justify whichever one or two players we could sign with that money, unless that rookie was immediately as good as Carr is right now, which again is unlikely.

I agree. I see a few of @daineraider points but the struggle to find a QB that can take you places with a good team is real so you don't give one up. Carr has proven that he can perform at a high level and, like you said, his cap hit isn't super severe compared to other avg QBs so it won't stop us from adding other piece if we want.

I don't see Carr going anywhere until after next year because of the draft class for QB this year. The best one out there could very well go back to school like its been reported. I think Carr has until next year to show Gruden that he can master this offense and if not then you move him. His contract is easier to release after next year and honestly team friendly. I do expect Oakland to go after a QB like Fitzpatrick in FA tho. 

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I don't see Carr going anywhere until after next year because of the draft class for QB this year. The best one out there could very well go back to school like its been reported. I think Carr has until next year to show Gruden that he can master this offense and if not then you move him. His contract is easier to release after next year and honestly team friendly. I do expect Oakland to go after a QB like Fitzpatrick in FA tho. 

Same. Think Carr has rest of year, we trade him or cut or him, sign Ryan Fitzpatrick and also draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th and then probably draft a QB in the 1st in 2020. 

Having 3 firsts is nice, we'll be the talk of the first round for sure. Finally this team laid a line in the sand on a trade and stood their ground. And it pays off. 

I'd love to see one traded back for some good picks the following year or the year after. We don't need 3 potential max contracts in one year, learn from 2014 and space it out. Parlay these into years of fat drafts.

In other matters, we need to hit on those picks but need to start hitting on some actual players in rounds 2-6. Look at the Chiefs. Hunt in the 3rd and Hill in the 5th have made their offense. (Duvernay Tardif in the 6th, Hudson in the 2nd, Houston in the 3rd, Morse in the 2nd, Jones in the 2nd, Kelce in the 3rd, and so on)

Need to draft more Keys and Hursts (hopefully they're worth it but you get my meaning). 

12 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Having 3 firsts is nice, we'll be the talk of the first round for sure. Finally this team laid a line in the sand on a trade and stood their ground. And it pays off. 

I'd love to see one traded back for some good picks the following year or the year after. We don't need 3 potential max contracts in one year, learn from 2014 and space it out. Parlay these into years of fat drafts.

In other matters, we need to hit on those picks but need to start hitting on some actual players in rounds 2-6. Look at the Chiefs. Hunt in the 3rd and Hill in the 5th have made their offense. (Duvernay Tardif in the 6th, Hudson in the 2nd, Houston in the 3rd, Morse in the 2nd, Jones in the 2nd, Kelce in the 3rd, and so on)

Need to draft more Keys and Hursts (hopefully they're worth it but you get my meaning). 

The Belicheck method. Dude seems to prefer day 2 picks over say 1 picks. Pats always find good day 2/early day 3 prospects to fit their system and trade back alot to get more of them. Would like to see us do that as well.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

I agree. I see a few of @daineraider points but the struggle to find a QB that can take you places with a good team is real so you don't give one up. Carr has proven that he can perform at a high level and, like you said, his cap hit isn't super severe compared to other avg QBs so it won't stop us from adding other piece if we want.

Look I also recognize that Carr needs to be better. But again, like you pointed out, clearly there isn't a better option right now so why not just roll with him.

3 hours ago, raidersedge said:

With a weak QB class and the best FA being Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Raiders would be best off keeping Carr for 2019.

This. 

As much as Carr has looked bad he’s had a season in the system by next year and Gruden prefers vets. It’s hard for me to believe that they’ll reach on a QB that Gruden isn’t sold on. They should use their picks to take bpa and build the team. If Carr looks good keep him and you keep building around him. If not you have more than enough ammo to move up and take a QB. That rookie would also be in a real good situation and might see early success al la Goff Wentz and Mahomes. 

• I say draft best D Lineman with the top pick for pressure and front seven
  • Best Wideout to help out Carr and game breaker
  • I'll trade that 3rd 1st down and a couple day 2 picks 

1- Edge, WR

2- RB, S   get a Keiryon Johnson type back, get a real safety

3- DE, LB more Dline help, and need more talent with linebacking unit

Archived