Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

From the episode director

"From my point of view, Tyrion always seemed three steps ahead," Podeswa told The New York Times. "As long as there is a professional alliance between Dany and Jon, that's something that everybody wants. We can imagine that that's a helpful alliance. But when things get personal, then people make decisions based on their emotions, and that can complicate matters going forward, so I think he sees the potential here for things to get very messy. Usually, historically, nothing good comes out of relationships becoming more complicated! [Laughs] It's also a question of what's going to be his role within this new alliance, right? So there's a kind of caution here."

Podeswa, who has been a staple of the Game of Thrones crew since Season Five, also admitted Tyrion's troubled look may have been complicated by jealousy. 

"There is something to that," he continued. "Everyone seems to be in love with Dany, in a way, and I think Tyrion's a little bit in love with her. But I don't think it’s an actual romantic love. There's a huge respect for her, and maybe there's a slight romantic element to that, but it's more of a jockeying in terms of who has real power. Not over Dany, but who has power in a relationship with Dany. Jorah [Mormont], who really is in love with her, his relationship with Jon is complicated in a different way. With Tyrion, it's all about who is going to have sway over her?"

So basically, they’re not saying anything about why he did it.

7 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

If Jon and Dany married (remember from Tyrions current viewpoint) it would be unlikely Jon would be her hand? 

Jon would be the King and Dany would be queen. have to believe they would be equal partners similar to Spanish monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just out of curiosity, where does everyone rank this season against the prior seasons? Up toward the top? Bottom? In the middle? 

1. Seasons 3 & 4
2. Seasons 1 & 2
3. Season 7
4. Seasons 5 & 6

Edited by cddolphin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just out of curiosity, where does everyone rank this season against the prior seasons? Up toward the top? Bottom? In the middle? 

Off the top of my head, I think I'd rank them:

Season 3
Season 1
Season 6
Season 4
Season 7
Season 2
Season 5

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

1. Seasons 3 & 4
2. Seasons 1 & 2
3. Season 7
4. Seasons 5 & 6

Little surprised to see 6 so far down. But otherwise, we are pretty much in agreement. I'd put 6 ahead of 7, but then the rest are largely the same. 

Just now, Forge said:

Little surprised to see 6 so far down. But otherwise, we are pretty much in agreement. I'd put 6 ahead of 7, but then the rest are largely the same. 

It's hard because there is a good bit of variance within a season. Season 5 was probably worse overall than 6. The finale of 6 was great and I loved the Sparrow arc from 5 - 6. Don't get me wrong, it's good TV,  but 5 & 6 was closer to a 4 star show for me than a the 4.75 / 5 star seasons that came before.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

It's hard because there is a good bit of variance within a season. Season 5 was probably worse overall than 6. The finale of 6 was great and I loved the Sparrow arc from 5 - 6. Don't get me wrong, it's good TV,  but 5 & 6 was closer to a 4 star show for me than a the 4.75 / 5 star seasons that came before.

I can see that. I think that's part of it for me - season 6 ended on such a hugely positive note for me (I think battle of the bastards is somewhat overrated, but still a solid episode, but Winds of Winter is one of my all timers) that it may skew my overall opinion of the season and make it easier to forgive the earlier sins of the season. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The worst. And I thought that before I knew it was hip to beat up on it this season. I really dont talk about the show with anyone but my wife and a few co-workers. But I started getting concerned by the 2nd episode. The first 5 minutes of the 1st episode should have had me concerned. But I was hoping it was a fluke, I guess.

The writing has gotten inexcusably lazy. It's like George RR Martin built a Bentley by hand and then passed it off to his sons high school auto shop to finish the upholstery and paint. 

I prefer the show when the story arcs plod along (some would call it being deliberate). This season is Short Attention Span Theater. Everything has to happen and be resolved by no later than the following episode.

Edited by Non-Issue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 6.................. 7

I have 7 a bit behind the rest. I know you cant go having deaths, just to have deaths. But I really didnt like the plot armoring and how much they left on the table to cram into 6 episodes. 2 huge wars, Hound/Mountain, Theon/Euron, Jaimes happenings, the heartfelt Winterfell meetups, and then some. All to be happening in 6 episodes, its like 2 ten episode seasons worth right there. And I think the only way you can blow through it all is to Superhero effect alot of it and be done with it quick as possible.

The season did have some exciting moments. Euron crashing the fleet, Jaimes trick to march on Highgarden and such. But the condition it left some things in, left a bit of a sour taste.

• Like 1