Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

People ripped me a new one for complaining about a 7 minute love scene between a translator and a eunuch and now we've got people complaining about a 5 second glimpse of Rhaegar because of what he looks like.

I've never complained about how a character looks.  At least I have that. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Been looking and looking, I cannot find it where they said it. First place I thought it was said was at the house of the Undying. Then was looking through Whitebeard dialogue and then Connington's. And a few other places where Rhaegar was specifically talked about. I for the life of me cannot find it. 

Ok tall and handsome. Even if he was somewhat slimmer then some of the bigger more bulky fighters in the series. It's still safe to assume this guy had some muscle on him considering how well he was able to fight. Considering a full plate set was probably around 50 pounds or so, a long sword weighing in around 5 pounds. Also keep in mind this is GOT where everything is bigger and better. Most of your best fighters are over 6-2. Anyone fighting in something like that, has to be on the fit side.

But he was not slender. Not even Loras was described in that way, and Jaimie already said to him that he was bigger, faster and stronger.

Like I'd alluded to earlier, the Whitebeard dialogue had a consistent trend of throwing water (not cold water, but room-temperature at least) on the legends and lore of "Rhaegar the Great Fighter," and the comparisons that people wanted to make to Arthur Dayne and the like being "the only warrior who could rival Rhaegar."

Also, I'm working to find quotes (if they're there, they're likely in the first two books), but the ASOIAF wiki specifically notes: "Despite his youth and slender frame, Loras is a capable warrior, using swords, axes, and morningstars to deadly effect."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Like I'd alluded to earlier, the Whitebeard dialogue had a consistent trend of throwing water (not cold water, but room-temperature at least) on the legends and lore of "Rhaegar the Great Fighter," and the comparisons that people wanted to make to Arthur Dayne and the like being "the only warrior who could rival Rhaegar."

Also, I'm working to find quotes (if they're there, they're likely in the first two books), but the ASOIAF wiki specifically notes: "Despite his youth and slender frame, Loras is a capable warrior, using swords, axes, and morningstars to deadly effect."

I think it is in Storm of Swords in a Jaime chapter after Joffrey's death if I follow this correctly. link

After the other Kingsguard members take their leave Jaime is left alone with the Knight of Flowers. Jaime observes Loras. He sees that Loras is as slim as a sword, lithe and fit. He wears a snowy linen tunic and white wool breaches, with a gold belt around his waist and a gold rose clasping his fine silk coat. His hair is a soft brown tumble, and his eyes are brown as well, and bright with insolence.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Same here still looking.

But you would think that if Rhaegar was slender as some have suggested they would have mentioned it.

This is a world where they prize the biggest and best fighters. People talk about what great fighters Syrio and Bronn are. But in the eyes of Westeros people. They value size place alot of emphasis on it as to whether or not a person is or can be a deadly fighter. Being slender was almost frowned upon, as was being short.

And even with his legendary acts both good and bad. No one outside of Robert had a bad thing to say about Rhaegar's appearance. Which is what also leads me to believe he was a physical speciman. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Same here still looking.

But you would think that if Rhaegar was slender as some have suggested they would have mentioned it.

This is a world where they prize the biggest and best fighters. People talk about what great fighters Syrio and Bronn are. But in the eyes of Westeros people. They value size place alot of emphasis on it as to whether or not a person is or can be a deadly fighter. Being slender was almost frowned upon, as was being short.

And even with his legendary acts both good and bad. No one outside of Robert had a bad thing to say about Rhaegar's appearance. Which is what also leads me to believe he was a physical speciman. 

But see, that's kind of the point.  Gotta remember, Whitebeard is Barristan the Bold, one of the greatest fighters in the land even at an advanced age.  And multiple times Dany brought up that her brother must have been "a peerless warrior" and Barristan corrected her that Rhaegar was a "very puissant ("powerful" but it's a word that speaks specifically to authority or influence not physical strength or might).  And the he follows that up, after she tells him to speak freely, by saying "A warrior without peer... those are fine words, Your Grace, but words win no battles."  At the point when Arthur Dayne comes up in conversation and Dany drops the line about Viserys saying that Ser Arthur was the only knight in the realm who was their brother's peer, Barristan's response is, "It is not my place to question the words of Prince Viserys."

Several characters talk about Rhaegar fighting and use a variety of adjective to describe it... not a one of them have anything to do with strength or size.  (Valiant, noble, honorable (and died) - Jorah; Valiant and "Rhaegar was no coward"' - Maester Yandel).

What this all works out to, in a not so roundabout way, is that Rhaegar was talked up because of who he was (the crown prince and heir to the realm) considerably more than what he actually was in substance.  Typically that's not the sort of thing that needs to be said of brawnier guys, whose size will be enough to get others to shy away from trying to test them.